Page 20 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    "G-7".... HIT!

YOU SUNK MY BIO LAB!

Yeah, i know what you mean. But for people who know the continents well enough by now they perhaps can navigate without using the map? God knows how! I certainly can't!

But grid referencing could be something implemented on a sub level by SL if the idea doesnt take off? I think i will use it from now on, "tank collumn to the north of grid J-3 Moving east, track and approx" sounds much bloody clearer than "Sundie up, over there behind that rock" or "Heavy armour coming in from the east" Like Grible says, east of where? give more detail in the report of where said threat is in proximity to you, damn it! Then we can work out the rest.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    To be fair, in relation to both gribles idea of useful information and in reply to what you say about grids from mitch onwards:

To be totally honest, we cannot rely on everybody using grid refs, because in many situations, its just not beneficial to check your map before making a callout...

The best information is quick and concise information, and fuck knows im not the best for this as im not in practice leading.

BUT: given that, especially on tac nights, comms should only be about 12 people, so situational info should relate to the small area in which the squad is located. my point is, that reports like "sunderer over by that rock" might not be the best, but it could be turned into a very useful quick sentence thusly: "ENEMY sunderer over by the rock/hill/whatever to the [COMPASS DIR]".

Since its a squad specific report, it should be fine in the general case. The only instance where a gridref is required would perhaps be when you need to report something more specific to another squad or the PL. I.E. to relay your position, or the general enemy location.

Other than this, I agree with grible, and try my best to follow this anyway, given previous experience. The only thing i would add, is that when SL or PL wants comm silence, or a report, they should call it. for example, i keep saying this, but people should call out something like "comms check", or "kit check" if they want to know whos what, or "break" or "check check" if they want total silence... even "comm silence" would work..

The grid ref would probably be used more if it was on screen all the time. Especially if they subgrid it. So at all times above your compass you see your location.

I'd really like a 4 digit subgrid style map system, where every major grid (like J3) is subdivided again with the same characters in 10x10 parts. So you could be in J3A0 which would be the lower left corner of J3. I think the continents are about 5km in length, so a system like that where they divide it first into tens and then into tens again would give you a location resolution of 50 meters, which is acceptable. I'd love for that to be above my compass at all times.

The advantage of a system like this is that you can drop the last part of the coordinate if you don't care about extra resolution. So if you want to describe the general area, just say J3 and leave the A0 part out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Problems with that would still arise, being that people woundt necessarily be able to quickly determine accurate grid refs. It would be useful to have a location in grid ref above the map just so you can report your location, but it wouldnt work very well for spotting targets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Speking of smoke, as done in another thread, I'd rather fancy leading (or being part of) an infantry squad consciously attempting to use smoke grenades as a tactical tool on a group level. Get a number of people with smoke grenades together, make sure everyone has NV sights and try to make something of it.

I'll be on by 6.30 GMT for the stratgir setup.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Tonight -

Who would like to step up for PL and or SL? I am AFK til like 20-21 GMT so I won't lead anything. Quanta is AFK as well I think. New platoon leader engage!

Also I think you guys should decide who leads what during the setup time and not here on the forums as we kinda decided (as not everyone can post here during the day), but can be good to see who's up for it here.

Oh, no PL on hand, have we? I'd like to try my hand at stratgir SL tonight, as mentioned two posts above, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the responsibility of PL. I'll be on at around 6.30 GMT, to sort out the details, anyhow.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I could do it, although I'd probably have to hand over the reins at some point, as I can't really afford a 5-hour session (3 or so would be ok). However, I also wound up doing casual PL last night, as well as both this and the next silly monday PL, so would probably be good if someone else is in the lead. Needs to be someone experienced with the StratGir system though.

So Nick? Orius? JG? Laldy? Anyone else?
    Last edited by CMaster; 31-01-2013 at 05:57 PM.

I'd do it but I can't guarantee I'll be there for the entire time. Which is what usually prevents me from applying for it. Well, that, and I'm not totally confident in my leadership skills.

I feel like I personally need to do some more StratGir SLing and non-strat BLing before I jump into the proper daddy pants, honestly. Otherwise I would.

I'm up for squad leading but I really don't want to BL - I might need to dip in and out tonight also I burn out fast!

Im very sorry, but I dont have time tonight. Otherwise Id jump at the opportunity to fuck up another stratgir. ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I have golf tonight and am unavailable for stratgir as either a grunt or leader.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OK, I'll make sure I'm on at 19:00 GMT to make sure everything is organised, and to take charge if nobody else suitable shows up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Good! Ill be on later, slightly drunk.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Good! Ill be on later, slightly drunk.
    Ridebird for leader! But only if more than slightly drunk!

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    I could do it, although I'd probably have to hand over the reins at some point, as I can't really afford a 5-hour session (3 or so would be ok). However, I also wound up doing casual PL last night, as well as both this and the next silly monday PL, so would probably be good if someone else is in the lead. Needs to be someone experienced with the StratGir system though.

So Nick? Orius? JG? Laldy? Anyone else?
    I wouldnt mind giving PL a go tonight. Unless you've already decided to do it?

You're quite welcome, as far as I'm concerned.

Gonna be a few late, but i will be on before 8.

Thanks to all squad leaders and squad members last night, i hope that my first try as stratPL was as enjoyable for you as it was for me.

Also, to Mitchk, Cortosis and Sam(somthingsomething) specifically, well done! For your first times at stratSLing(?) the communication was good and orders were carried out better than i expected.