Page 50 of 90 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1786
    spreadsheet edit issues should be sorted

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I was getting quite excited earlier in the week about leading a squad for this, trying to really push the "motormouth SL" thing. Then I remembered I was off out tonight. So erm, who is leading this? I think TrooperWally had some ideas?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    TrooperWally had some ideas, but not really for StratGir, right? His ideas was more with tight two-squad tactics.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    I did (do) have some ideas. They require two squads to work but I'd love to try them and think they'd fit the ethos of StratGir (coordinated squads) even if some of the time we might have two squads in one channel. I'd be keen to try and have been trying to organise my life such that I can get a decent run at PS2 tonight but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. If I am on and there are sufficient people keen to try it then I'd love to give it a go. I'd really appreciate an experienced and motivated leader of the second squad (Esoteric?) because we will not want both squads in one channel always. Also, if I'm doing this I don't think I'd have the mental capability to also PL in a satisfactory way - it would probably reduce to 'let's all fight here' as I'm keen to focus on the squad stuff.

Of course if circumstances conspire to make it so I could PL instead but that would mean I couldn't really attempt my two squad tactics ideas.
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

I'll be there if you need me

Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    I'd really appreciate an experienced and motivated leader of the second squad (Esoteric?)
    Hell yeah! I'm gonna be all over this like a rash. (To use another Americanism...)

We'll also need another 22 motivated people. Experience is going to be a plus, but not a necessity.

I now have official approval (from my wife). That means I'll be on from 19.30 (UK time) and looking to get this set up.

To all interested giraffes:

If you would like to participate in organised squad play please be online at 19.30 (UK time) and listen up when I start recruiting for these two squads. We will be:

* disciplined - staying put when necessary, redeploying quickly, etc.
    * organised - following a plan to try to make ourselves more effective than normal (see below for my outline plans)
    * using split comms (though perhaps not all the time, we'll need to see what works best)

All are welcome but it's in everyone's interests if we can get expectations right so that we only have people who want to be there and following the plan. If you read this and feel unsure that you're ready but feel happy with the above bullet points then don't be afraid to join in. Willingness is important, experience/certs/etc. is much less important.

Outline plans for two squads:
    1. Half a squad defends the forward spawn, the other one and a half push forward.
    2. One squad suppresses enemy movement, the other squad flank.
    3. One squad armour and support, the other squad air.
    4. One squad pure maxes, the other squad engies and medics.
    Last edited by WallyTrooper; 25-07-2013 at 06:15 PM.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I hope I can join too, sounds intriguing!

I'm looking to SL the second squad, and I wouldn't mind trying to run with a second whenever we're in split comms, if anyone is up for trying that. It would mean sitting with me in the SL channel, able to talk to Wally, to bounce some ideas off of, and help me keep track of things that I should keep track of. Anyone interested in trying that?

Bah! I would love to join... Don't think 6pm EST would be within the time frame this will be running. I'm going to miss these sadly. Hopefully more weekend events come along. Good luck!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I liked Wally's idea but I don't think it went exactly to plan yesterday and for me got a bit frustrating.
    That being said, I definitely think it should be tried again with more planning and tighter control.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I liked Wally's idea but I don't think it went exactly to plan yesterday and for me got a bit frustrating.
    That being said, I definitely think it should be tried again with more planning and tighter control.
    Sincere apologies for things getting frustrated. I was also finding it quite frustrating so know how you feel. I'll try to organise things better next time I try this. Thanks for bearing with it, we will improve with practice.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wasn't there, so please do dismiss this entirely, but perhaps part of the problems was trying to implement tactics just for the sake of it? You need the right situations to use tactics like holding + flanking, or an armour and air push, perhaps those suitable circumstances weren't presenting themselves?

Seems like the best way to try those tactics out would be to just play normally and get in a load of fights, then when the right situation appears, try to put your shortlist of tactics into use (this may have been exactly what you were doing, if so just dismiss all of the above).

That was definitely the case - the fights we weren't in didn't generally suit us well. We didn't have a single sustained push across open ground which I think is the easiest of these tactics to try. I agree that we need to choose the right tactics for the fight. That's one of the reasons I think StratGir isn't the right training ground because we have to be where PL wants us and sometimes the best thing to do in that situation is not what we want to try so if we try it then we get steamrolled.

Wally is now on Steam!

I think one of the main things is that there weren't strong single movements. I think if there's a big bunch who die they should spawn, and form up at the same time and move together. We're much stronger together than a stream of respawners on their own.

We did have very good squad composition though, but didn't really leverage it well enough.

I don't know how you feel Wally, but for that style of squad play I think micromanaging is really important. It doesn't need to be like "Alpha 1 cover North door, Alpha 2 Cover east door" etc but more "Alpha 1,2,6,7,9 cover top floor and the rest take bottom". Obviously I'm talking about building management there but you get the idea.

Although part of frustration was probably due to the new layouts and the "wrong" kinds of fights for the style we were trying. It's nothing that needs apologising for, just a tactical play we need to iterate on and improve.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, playing new Esamir on the day it was released would make it kind of hard to be very tight and tactical. More clusterfucky/headless chicken for all involved, I imagine.

All I say is to try and help :3 FU is a fairly organized and hardcore outfit as you lads know. We even have a MLG section in development.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    I think one of the main things is that there weren't strong single movements. I think if there's a big bunch who die they should spawn, and form up at the same time and move together. We're much stronger together than a stream of respawners on their own.
    FU does this. If we have a big wipe we regroup and push together.
    We did have very good squad composition though, but didn't really leverage it well enough.
    What was your squad composition? And what do you mean with leverage it well enough?
    Standard FU composition is
    5 HA
    3 Medic
    2 Engie
    1 Infil
    1 Max
    Just to throw it out there and compare.
    I don't know how you feel Wally, but for that style of squad play I think micromanaging is really important. It doesn't need to be like "Alpha 1 cover North door, Alpha 2 Cover east door" etc but more "Alpha 1,2,6,7,9 cover top floor and the rest take bottom". Obviously I'm talking about building management there but you get the idea.
    FU has names for buildings (banana building/double building etc) and we more or less know how to set up inside of each one thanks to our bootcamps. However during live combat people can forget so we actually do micromanage by saying "alpha 1 cover X door". Whatever works better for you.

Also if you're thinking about the most common building in the game (the building with 2 floors and a roof) FU has found it most effective for 1 squad to bunch up in the 2nd floor with MAXes guarding stair wells from the bottom floor and 1 HA covering each stair way to the roof. Medics going to which ever side needs more help.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Adenn View Post
    What was your squad composition? And what do you mean with leverage it well enough?
    Standard FU composition is
    5 HA
    3 Medic
    2 Engie
    1 Infil
    1 Max
    Just to throw it out there and compare.
    Standard RPS composition is probably 6 engie, 2 medic, 2 HA, 1 LA, 1 Infil/MAX, but it does vary around as we don't have a required squad spec.

That is pretty much the squad setup we had, although leaning more toward medic than HA. I think my point regarding leverage is partly down to the lack of acting as a singular unit but also that it should be a case of having HA taking more of the flack as opposed to a medics taking lead who're more squishy.

I'd be happy with very strong micromanagement but I think that depends on the SL style. Both would work for me - but there needs to be something.

I like the idea of having names and setups for certain buildings. I noticed at points something like "Bravo to the NE building of point X" resulted in a split in the squad between two different buildings.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    wtf do you need 6 engies for?