Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Community Training - 3rd March

Alright chaps, looks like we're doing:

QRF Training!
    3rd March - 7:30pm GMT - NC
    Rough timeline:
    7:30 - Opening discussion on QRF force goals in live and SS environment.
    7:45 - SL and PL considerations on using and running a QRF force.
    8:00 - Practice within VR (using valks, gals and getting a cohesive squad)
    8:15 - Moving onto live, using learnt skills
    8:45ish - Seguing to regular squad play

We're going to be covering:
    - General objectives for a QRF squad (mobility, stopping caps, destroying enemy logistics) in both live and SS environments.
    - Support that a QRF squad requires (air support, scouting, faction support (i.e. other outfits)).
    - Squad formation for a QRF.
    - Tactics (dropping on points and sundies (and also dropping away and moving in on points and sundies); mobility, use of gals / valks, fluid squads).
    - SL considerations - being a good SL for a QRF squad.
    - PL considerations - using a QRF squad in regular squad play, etc.

It'll be mostly a discussion environment; I don't have all the answers and I'm sure you guys have thoughts on all this!

EDIT TO ADD: I'LL NEED SOME VOLUNTEERS FOR SLing AND PLing FOR THE TRAINING - IF YOU'RE INTERESTED PLEASE LEAVE A POST!

Contact me here or on steam if you have any thoughts / notes beforehand.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
    Vidi

---

Original post:

Hi all,

After a longish break (apologies), let's get the Community Training back up and running!

We'll start next week on the 3rd of March @ 7:30pm GMT. Let me know out of the options below what you want to have as the first training session. If you have an idea that's not on the list, or want to run something yourself, please post.

Options:

Theoretical

Situational awareness:
    A brief run through of using your eyes, ears, allies and minimap to be more aware on the battlefield.

Playing light assault and using them in squads
    A run through of both playing LAs in game and how to use them effectively in a squad.

How to spend certs
    A short opinion based talk on what to spend your certs on.

Practical

QRF Squading

Spending much of the evening playing as a QRF force, using valks / gals to get behind enemy forces and breaking their logistics / point holds.

Cheers,
    Vidi
    Last edited by Vidi; 02-03-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: new deets

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I'd pick something like QRF-ing since it's a cover of the basics
    Steam: Cephas00 | Planetside 2: Cephas00(VS) - CephasTheSecond(NC)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I will not sleep on the floor. The fuck do you take me for? I teach students, I am not one.

The QRF stuff sounds good! During big events or a ServerSmash, I've got no idea what the hell is going on

Otherwise, perhaps, if we have to stay inside because of bad weather: Theoretical: How to spend certs. Like, besides the infantry weapons, where should I spend my certification points in order to be useful to my team?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Spengbab View Post
    Otherwise, perhaps, if we have to stay inside because of bad weather: Theoretical: How to spend certs. Like, besides the infantry weapons, where should I spend my certification points in order to be useful to my team?
    That sort of thing lends itself more to a one-on-one conversation in mumble when it's quiet, since the answer will be different for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spengbab View Post
    Oh, that'd be a good one - added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Vidi View Post
    Oh, that'd be a good one - added to the list.
    Why don't we gain some certs through training then chat about how to use them .

Also - which faction?
    I will not sleep on the floor. The fuck do you take me for? I teach students, I am not one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Also - which faction?
    Doesn't really matter - I mean, only infrantryweapons, some turrets and the fighter/MBT differ per faction. The other stuff is generic.

But yea, perhaps its not suited for a broad audience, so let's leave it to the sensei

I was meaning which faction for the training.

NC since that's the best faction (controversy!)

I dunno, depends what we're doing. We'll decide on the night.

And we can do multiple things on the night (though with the downside of less time to devote to both) so feel free to pick multiple things.
    Last edited by Vidi; 23-02-2015 at 12:12 PM.

If you want an experienced valk pilot for the QRF stuff I should be free. I can easily evade heavy flak and enemy aircraft for quick point/gen/sundy drops.
    Steam: gary the super elite hobo
    Planetside 2: Gorncaptain
    Elite: Dangerous: CMDR Douglas Richardson - Imperial privateer. All hail the Emperor, bask in his greatness.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So I have videos of both my "Welcome to PLanetside" basic training and Vidi's "How to be MLG" advanced training. Would they be a useful resource if I uploaded them? Perhaps edited a bit to remove some of the waffling...

Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    So I have videos of both my "Welcome to PLanetside" basic training and Vidi's "How to be MLG" advanced training. Would they be a useful resource if I uploaded them? Perhaps edited a bit to remove some of the waffling...
    That's a bit harsh, what did Waffly do to deserve that?
    Nae King! Nae Quin! Nae Laird! Nae Master! We willnae be fooled again!

you can probably replace the entire MLG talk with a 3 second clip of someone shouting 'SHOOT THE HEAD!" really.

Network Hub
    I'd love to see some Light Assault training
    They are generally out of favour in RPS though

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I recommend this for some LA tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpnbTbnvpus

Personally I find LAs a bit crap. Maybe because I run them with shotguns, which are fantastic in close quarters and not so much when you're trying to leg it in to a base from the sundie.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    Personally I find LAs a bit crap. Maybe because I run them with shotguns, which are fantastic in close quarters and not so much when you're trying to leg it in to a base from the sundie.
    LA is one of the most situational classes. HA and medics can always generally add something, but with LA you have to either be really good at what you're doing or play in situations where LAs shine, like tower fights. I'd recommend having a go at LA with some of the better carbines. I like the Serpent for VS or even just the basic Solstice is nice.

I agree, and whenever I'm trying to use it in the right situation I usually get shot in the face whilst I'm getting in to position. I had a quick run as LA last night and managed a solid run of kills and finished it off with a bit of C4 fairy - it was fun, but I stepped outside for five seconds and a HA with assault rifle clipped me at medium range when all I could do was spam a few shotgun shells at ineffective range.

Saying that, I'll have a go with carbine sometime soon.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    LA is extremely good in certain situations, but yeah, it feels more like a tool to use then discard than an essential class. I also prefer carbines to shotties, it gives you a lot more versatility. The Serpent is nice for close quarters, with it's insane rate of fire, and the default Solstice is all-round as good as any carbine.

The two situations that LAs seem most commonly useful:
    1. Sundy hunting/C4 fairy. Dropping a load of smoke on a hard to reach sundy then jetpacking in from a weird angle to cover it in C4.
    2. Dominating roof areas. In certain fights, particularly small bases with only a few buildings and not much overlooking them, LAs can be massively useful. Breaking up enemy assaults, stopping them from flanking or grouping up, generally making it unsafe for the enemy to operate out in the open. Usefulness really depends on the fight though, generally it has to be busy enough to justify losing a few potential medics/heavies for the sake of camping the roof but not so busy that the roof is a constant clusterfuck of rocketpods and LAs from both sides.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    weird angle
    That's the most important thing. As a LA you should never be engaging people head-on. Use angles and cover so that you come at them from somewhere they don't expect.