Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magriding.

Magriding.

With all the guides online severely out of date, whats the best magrider loadout at the moment?

I currently have Rival 3, auto-repair 3, magboost, the default maingun and a PPA on the roof. I have about 2000 certs to spend on this thing. Should I get the AP gun? Saron or Halberd? Stealth? I hear that's good.

I never drive my magrider, though, so I just slapped on upgrades that were good at the time or were cheap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Stealth is currently king of tanks, and as far as I know that's especially true on the Magrider. However, it's not necessarily true when you're playing in a group as surprise is less effective.

As for weapons, it will depend on your playstyle. If you're tank hunter, halberd allows you to creep and peek, the saron will give you more firepower up close (but mags should really be hit and run if you're doing that). PPA... eh.

Personally I think the stock main gun is fine. If you have some sort of anti-tank top gun you wont struggle to kill other tanks with it, and you can use it against infantry without needing a direct hit. Halberd vs Sauron is personal preferance. The incoming changes to the Sauron will mean you can maintain consistent damage and you aren't penalised as much for missing a shot or two. The Halberd is a massive one punch KO, good for surprise rear armour hits but costly if you miss. I'd chuck auto repair for front armour, as the mag is a fixed gun and you always face targets you get a lot of mileage out of that cert line. That or proxy rader because fuck C4 fairies. That's my two cents anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Magriding dirty and they hating.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Stealth is useful for roaming in groups if roaming around the edges, and the mag is less useful in groups anyway, so stealth all the way, baby.

The fpc is "amazeballs" but the stock gun ifs acceptable and better at killing engineers around sundies.

Top gun: halberd for av, unless expecting a lot of harrasers. Sauron has less peek a boo strength but is otherwise a fun side grade, and the no drop is as stated good for hitting harrasers.

Top gun: AI
    the ppa returns soon. SOON WE WILL BE WHOLE. Until then many are running the whatchacallit, which is a dependable way to execute single infantry in quick succession. Of course, the ppa is love.

However, the most important thing is to master the magburner. No base is magrider safe.

The last level of magburner was 1000 certs. I regret NOTHING.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Has anyone tried the changes to PPA/Sauron yet? Might be worth waiting to see what happens with them. I doubt the Halberd will lose it's appeal any time soon (at the moment it seems clearly the best AV secondary), but an improved Sauron could be fun (because lasers).

Interesting point about front armour, never thought of that and now I want to give it a try. My current half-arsed mag loadout is rival 2 (or something), auto-repair, stock main gun, Saron (from the good old days), mag boost. It's probably due an upgrade as well. #UPGRADENOW

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I've got front armor, but I've never really felt you gain much. If you can't dodge/strafe you will explode. If you can dodge/strafe front armor does very little. Stealth 4 life, yo.
    Disclaimer:
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    The optimal magrider loadout for anti-vehicle duties has, in my opinion, been Racer, Magboost, FPC, Saron and Stealth for pretty much the entire history of the game, despite nerfs and tweaks in 2013 and 2014. I also think the halberd is overrated for AV - the Saron is deadly up close and accurate at range. Thermal optics on both guns is my personal preference. This also happens to be the loadout that is used by Rayden78, one of the best magrider pilots on Miller.

For farm... suppression, I found Rival, Magboost, VPC, PPA and Proximity radar to be a very deadly and useful combination. The proximity radar is great for detecting C4 fairies. The PPA nerf might have destroyed this beautiful combine of death.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    SOON, Lakroy, SOON WE WILL BE WHOLE.
    Disclaimer:

I tend to agree with LaKroy in regards to the Saron. It's an easier gun to land hits with compared to the Halberd due to the lack of drop and multiple shots - the long reload on the single shot Halberd is an absolute pain when you're in a fast moving Mag and aiming at even stationary targets, let alone a Harasser.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Cei View Post
    I tend to agree with LaKroy in regards to the Saron. It's an easier gun to land hits with compared to the Halberd due to the lack of drop and multiple shots - the long reload on the single shot Halberd is an absolute pain when you're in a fast moving Mag and aiming at even stationary targets, let alone a Harasser.
    Maybe I'm just used to it but I find the Halberd a lot easier to land shots with than the Saron. The dip is pretty negligible and it has a higher projectile velocity (I think) than the Saron, so once you know how much drop there is (about the first line on the reticule) you can hit stuff at any range. Meanwhile I can't hit shit with the new Saron and you have to keep hitting stuff with an optimal rate of clicking in order to do competitive damage...

I believe LaKroy that in the hands of an expert it can be superior, but given the option I would much rather jump in a Halberd turret. Maybe I just need to give the Sauron a bit more time, perhaps the incoming buffs will be a good opportunity to do so.

The Saron I can use to snipe infantry from a distance, but the Halberd requires a bit of guesstimation with the drop, and if you miss you get a tiny splash radius that is no use. Don't get me wrong, I do run with the Halberd, especially if requested by my gunner, but if I'm in the seat I'd rather a Saron.

Until the PPA returns to former glory (shameless plug of my usual PTS videos) for AI you have to use the kobalt, not a bad gun, but it doesn't suit the magriders playstyle well. Rest of the loadout should be VPC, nano-repair and magburner (never go without magburner, I have yet to find vehicle shields which have prevented me from entering a base. I personally prefer rival, it allows you to easily dodge dumbfires and it's utterly fantastic at hill climbing.

For anti vehicle you're going to want the FPC, the stock gun is pretty much a straight downgrade, you can't 1-shot enemies with splash damage alone and if they have flak armour then you might as well just give up. The FPC has faster velocity and less drop which makes it much easier to land shots on infantry with. Top gun is personal preference, I prefer the saron, but the halberd has its merits. A quick note though, the saron is getting some great buffs soon, it'll no longer need ammo and will use the heat mechanic, meaning if you can manage your fire rate you never have to stop firing, ever. Magburner and vehicle stealth are definately the best options for their slots, if you're part of a zerg though then go with auto repair. Rival and racer is personal preference but rival can scale 70 degree inclines, which is pretty neat.

For general multirole the FPC and kobalt work well, using magburn, auto repair and rival. On the flip side the VPC and halberd also make a great multirole loadout, also using magburn and auto repair.
    Steam: gary the super elite hobo
    Planetside 2: Gorncaptain

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken."

I'm not in the habit of doing anti infantry vehicles (I have a Lasher for that), so I'm guessing I'm gonna go with a FPC, a Saron, thermals on both. That should set me back about 2250 certs I think, which is what I have to spend on this thing at the moment. Magburn will have to stay at level 2 for the moment. It's ridics expensive anyway.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    I'm not in the habit of doing anti infantry vehicles (I have a Lasher for that), so I'm guessing I'm gonna go with a FPC, a Saron, thermals on both. That should set me back about 2250 certs I think, which is what I have to spend on this thing at the moment. Magburn will have to stay at level 2 for the moment. It's ridics expensive anyway.
    Thermals are (IMO) a bit of a waste on AV weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Boffinboots View Post
    Thermals are (IMO) a bit of a waste on AV weapons.
    Yeah, especially on the saron which has the infantry killing potential of a duck. You're better off just saving certs and using zoom.

"Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power. Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    A quick note though, the saron is getting some great buffs soon, it'll no longer need ammo and will use the heat mechanic, meaning if you can manage your fire rate you never have to stop firing, ever.
    Cheers for linking the video, very useful! This quoted bit especially, endless, steady spamming of the Saron at longer ranges looks to be amazing. Has it lost some of it's super-close range burst potential though, due to an effectively smaller mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Magriding dirty and they hating.
    Helio for president.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Quote Originally Posted by Rizlar View Post
    Cheers for linking the video, very useful! This quoted bit especially, endless, steady spamming of the Saron at longer ranges looks to be amazing. Has it lost some of it's super-close range burst potential though, due to an effectively smaller mag?
    Essentially yes, overheating is something you do not want to do, the cool down time is around 7-8 seconds, on live the saron's reload time is only 3 uncerted. If you're going to burst fire you can't fire all 6 shots or you're dead.

Network Hub
    Wow, just allowing the Saron to point downwards a few degrees more makes all the difference. It feels so much better!

I want the heat mechanic on the Light PPA, but then they really would nerf it