Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BL Chat

BL Chat

There was a brief Meeting of around 15 Baloon Leaders. The intention is to hold these regularly to share information among the BL's and to try and improve our coordination and consistency as BLs.

As the outfit has grown the rank of Baloon Leader has acquired some extra responsibilities beyond just Platoon Leading. There was some discussion about how BL's are appointed but it was felt that that was a conversation to have at a full outfit meeting.

Topics Covered
    Invite Policy:-
    The outfit has only one recruitment requirement, Girofficers and Baloons can both invite but should only do so if someone asks for an invite on Mumble. Friends asking is not sufficient, text asking is, but only if you are on Mumble.
    Additionally you should not hand hold people asking in in-game chat. A direction to RPS (forums) should be enough.

Outfit Intros:- Once we have invited them they should go through an outfit intro at the soonest opportunity.
    We run these in order to keep everyone on the same page with the outfit's general feeling and play styles.
    There was some concern that with the large influx of new players we were "diluting" the feeling of the early outfit.

Running one of these is easy enough and all Baloons should be able and willing to do so when ever possible. The best times seem to be at when you log on and feel fresh, or after a de-brief.

Work down the page located at http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/gui...-introduction/ pausing after each section to take questions. High points should be - Excellentness, Comms, Play Styles, Outfit Ranks/Structure, TVA.

Feel free to summarize. They should take around 10 minutes, longer if you get lots of questions. Girofficers can promote but the feeling was that we should keep it to the Baloons for consistency reasons.

Girofficer Promotions
    These people are self selected, therefore you should make sure that they understand that they are stepping up to lead squads or RO. If they are not willing to do this at least semi regularly they should probably not take on Girofficering.

Take them through Mumble settings, check both the RO channels and the SL channels.
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/gui...e-for-leaders/

Direct them to the guides for RO and SL.
    http://www.rockplanetshotgun.com/guide/roles-and-ranks/

Do a quick chat and take questions. Impart some advice. Put some weight on the recruitment options set up.
    We argued in the past that you should put RPS, and your Mumble channel in the squad name - it is important you do this above making puns. I know, but do it!

Timings and People
    Ksempac has kindly signed us up to "Outfit Points"
    http://outfitpoints.com/OutfitDetail...09488620609255Play with the numbers and look at the graphs. TLDR - we peak around 2100GMT.
    We need to be ready for numbers and have as many squads ready and open as possible. See recruitment as above.

Useful Commands for BLs
    Type /platoon in the chat to get a list. There is also a list from the <Esc>,<Support> menu section.
    Remember to disband squads when we no longer need them.

Outfit House Keeping
    Outfit meetings should be held on the 1str Wed of each month, it's important that BLs make this happen Cooper will not always be around and we need to step up if he isn't.

Appointing BLs is to be a topic at the net outfit meeting, there was some discussion about role and selection, but it was felt by the BLs that we shouldn't be setting our own criteria for selection.

------------
    This is a truee and Accuratee recording of the meeting held by the BLs on the seventeenth day of the seventh month of the year of our lord two thousand and thirteen.

Done typing, Now for Tac-Str-Blob-Coop-Gir!

Thanks and Good job on the minutes

Btw hearing LordKiwi doing an introduction inspired me to write a post about how to improve the page, and some advice for balloons leaders wanting to do outfit introductions : http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post332646
    Last edited by Ksempac; 17-07-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus WallyTrooper's Avatar
    Thanks grible! I had to go just as this kicked off and when I came back everyone was getting in a gal except you as you diligently typed up the minutes!
    WallyTrooper = TrooperWally

Wally is now on Steam!

I've been a little busy and hadn't even noticed that we had a meeting (until now). Will do my best to attend in future!

Quote Originally Posted by Rei Onryou View Post
    I've been a little busy and hadn't even noticed that we had a meeting (until now). Will do my best to attend in future!
    Don't worry, CMaster tried his best to make it hard for anyone to attend, he planned that for Wednesday evening but only announced it on Tuesday evening.
    First thing he said at the beginning of the meeting is "wow i didn't expect so many of you". I would bet he was planning to be alone and vote himself as the Ultimate Outfit Dictator for Life

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksempac View Post
    Don't worry, CMaster tried his best to make it hard for anyone to attend, he planned that for Wednesday evening but only announced it on Tuesday evening.
    Yeah, Sorry about that. I just decided it needed doing.

One of the things we do need to do is arrange the next one, for about 2 weeks time.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Bump:
    When are BLs wanting the next of these to happen?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Soon? Some time this week would be good for me. Anytime works for me.

Also soon. I struggle to know which nights I'll be available but I'm keen to attend the next one.

Two related items that I'd like to table for discussion:

1. Dewi comms - it sounds like it has potential and we really should explore it properly before concluding anything.
    2. Player burnout - the 'why people stop playing thread' contains some stuff that I think we as an outfit should heed. It's a personal decision to stop playing but I don't like to think that the outfit is driving people away (which I worry it might be).

Wally is now on Steam!

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Am pretty easy - were we thinking of having these once a month? In which case I'd say pick a day and do the Balloon Leader meeting on that day every month - like first Wednesday of every month.

Activated Node
    I believe the first Wednesday of the month is for a general Outfit meeting. We could put it on the second Wednesday, or maybe the first Tuesday of the month as a prelude to the main meeting.

Lesser Hivemind Node sketchseven's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LordKiwi View Post
    maybe the first Tuesday of the month as a prelude to the main meeting.
    That's not a bad idea - then if there are things that we think need to be discussed outfit-wide, we can add it to the agenda for the next day very easily.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Also soon. Two related items that I'd like to table for discussion:

1. Dewi comms - it sounds like it has potential and we really should explore it properly before concluding anything.
    2. Player burnout - the 'why people stop playing thread' contains some stuff that I think we as an outfit should heed. It's a personal decision to stop playing but I don't like to think that the outfit is driving people away (which I worry it might be).
    Both of those are items for the outfit chat I think, not the BL discussion. I'd also like to avoid talking about dewi comms until we've actually used it as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by sketchseven View Post
    Am pretty easy - were we thinking of having these once a month? In which case I'd say pick a day and do the Balloon Leader meeting on that day every month - like first Wednesday of every month.
    Suggestion at the last outfit chat was every 2 weeks (anticipating them to normally take less than half an hour), for both this and a girofficer meeting. Monthly could also work though. Regular scheduling is what I was after.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Both of those are items for the outfit chat I think, not the BL discussion.
    Must they be mutually exclusive? The BL group is basically a subset of people who've been playing for quite a long time and I think it would be useful to talk amongst ourselves about burnout. Newer players simply don't have the same perspective because they're newer players and therefore not so close to burning out.

Edit: Now as an actual quote - thank you Rizlar!
    Last edited by WallyTrooper; 23-07-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Needs more open brackets.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    If we put this on Tuesdays, I won't be able to attend. Wednesdays are much better for me.

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyTrooper View Post
    Must they be mutually exclusive? The BL group is basically a subset of people who've been playing for quite a long time and I think it would be useful to talk amongst ourselves about burnout. Newer players simply don't have the same perspective because they're newer players and therefore not so close to burning out.

Edit: Now as an actual quote - thank you Rizlar!

You put the open square bracket before the text. Remove the one before "both" and place it before the /Quote]

This meeting needs to happen. At least one thing to talk about : state of StratGir.

Choose a day and a time, i will be there.

Speaking of StratGir - I'm hoping to get some proper time in the game tomorrow and would be happy to lead a squad, or ideally two. I'm coming to the conclusion that two or more squads need to work very closely together in order to be effective. It would be great if there was another squad leader who was up for tight intra-squad direction and cross squad coordination to make this work though.

Ideas for two squads:
    1. Half a squad defends the forward spawn, the other one and a half push forward.
    2. One squad suppresses enemy movement, the other squad flank.
    3. One squad armour and support, the other squad air.
    4. One squad pure maxes, the other squad engies and medics.

All this works with one squad but not so well I feel.

Wally is now on Steam!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I think there's some considerable misunderstanding as to what this meeting is supposed to be about.

The idea for these (and the girofficer meetings, which nobody has organised yet) was for BLs to get together and talk (briefly!) about their jobs. So things learned about platoon leading, how to best run outfit introductions, etc.

It's emphatically not meant to be about deciding things about the outfit. That's what outfit meetings are for (and sure,you can rope together a group of people to talk about it at any time you want).

It's an info-sharing body, not a decision making one, is what I am saying.

Does next Wednesday work?