Page 18 of 90 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast
    Network Hub
    Hey - I did take part. Any guesses as to who I [ineptly] was?!

Enjoyed that, and the organisation. Not really done it before. Thanks for the help, especially from Ridebird, Samp(?) and a few others. Hopefully I didn't do too badly!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Ride and Quanta, I was indeed talking about stratgir nights, as these nights are the ones I am more interested in.

It seems my intention was perhaps misunderstood. Im not at all saying that I dont want organisation, but rather that I hope it doesnt get very regimented.

I very much agree with what people are saying about how we need to keep it organised and how weds can be a bit clusterfucky, however the main point was that thursdays shouldnt become priority lead by a select group of people. It should remain open even to the newcomers, so that everybody can experience it, even at the sacrifice of the "win".

I agree that fun is very much based on perspective and while I do enjoy winning as much as you guys, my view is also that we do not necessarily need to win to have fun. If we push hard and die trying, id say it was still enjoyable.

What cooper has proposed as a system seems pretty much like a culmination of exactly what the small group of us discussed on weds late night after the event, and I would agree with that format. It does have its flaws as people point out, but it allows us to be organised, without confining people to forum sign ups and fixed roles. I suggested then that we have the 30 minutes before to decide who is who, and fully support this method.

I would like to add that I love the idea of a special giraffes squad for those who want to take it yet again that bit seriously on any given night. This allows people like RIDE etc who want the fully strategic win to have a specific channel if the rest of the group is fucking about.

I think the wrong message was given by my previous post, in that I dont just want to "mess about" but i want to do it strategically too.. I like the mixture, but prefer the thursday game, which is why my views are based around this night. There are nights that I can play and some not, as well as nights where seriousness is best, and nights where silliness is better.

Honestly this is moving in the right direction and the work going on to improve the experience is great, I just dont want to move fully into regimented silent comms serious play, which im sure wont happen anyway. While it has its merits and people might enjoy it, I dont think this is the right environment for it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Personally, I think Thursdays 'style' should be down to the PL on the day. We all have quite differing styles, and that is no bad thing.

I'd be wary of mandating a certain 'feel' to strategic nights. The feel of a night with the giraffes can vary widely as it is, and I think the magic of when it's amazing can't be designed for. The best we can do it let our leaders lead how they want to lead, rather than add the stress of trying to make it feel like this-or-that.

I do think an important change is to provide time for PL & volunteer SLs to get together & sort things out beforehand. Mandating some downtime for a bit of a chat is no bad thing. Given that, as an MMO, PS2 seriously lacks 'downtime'.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Network Hub
    I can certainly speak positively of my experience this evening. From the highs, such as where I managed to kill, as a lowly level 5, about 6 people in a row because they didn't realise I was behind them, to the lows where I fell through the earth into the ether and died after 20 seconds of falling, and where I couldn't work out how to suicide. /suicide.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    It was a good effort tonight, right down till it was only a handful of us seeing it through to the continent lock! I joined part way in, but it seemed like it went fairly well up to that point, so well done people.

Obscure Node
    Really enjoyed holding the bridge by the impact crater until the rest of the armoured column turned up, I never thought we would survive.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRed View Post
    I can certainly speak positively of my experience this evening. From the highs, such as where I managed to kill, as a lowly level 5, about 6 people in a row because they didn't realise I was behind them, to the lows where I fell through the earth into the ether and died after 20 seconds of falling, and where I couldn't work out how to suicide. /suicide.
    That sounds pretty much exactly like the normal experience, and certainly the variation that happens to me every time I spawn, so it sounds like you're doing pretty well for yourself already. Next time you'll probably have got the grips of the various gameplay functions as well so you can be as responsive as the Balloon Lead would like you to be :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    The bridge was epic, indeed. And the whole evening, and the natural order of things has been restored: Vanu got our infantry consumables discount back.

We are a bunch of militant spandex wearing consumerists...

Network Hub
    I'll get there, that's to be hoped at least! Was nice to find a sort of positive 'community' experience. I've always liked the idea of 'proper' team-play and so on, but have never really felt I had the time etc to devote to doing clans and all that. I knew of them, of course, but never really found a casual way to do it. Playing with randoms never works that well, even though it really cries out do be done properly in games from Arma and ROII to even the more arcadey things like the BF series.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    We got the lock? Excellent.

I liked the galaxy solar plant as well.

And I think the problem I have with the "lets meet up and discuss 30min before" is that I actually pencil thursday nights in, I make it a priority that I have time from 19:30-23:00 GMT+1

I cant do that for any other day or night. So Id like to know what people are aiming to do tonight and have some general tactics.
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 25-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    I very much agree with what people are saying about how we need to keep it organised and how weds can be a bit clusterfucky, however the main point was that thursdays shouldnt become priority lead by a select group of people. It should remain open even to the newcomers, so that everybody can experience it, even at the sacrifice of the "win".
    Mhm, i disagree. I think we need our most experienced giraffes leading on stratgir nights. That means a giraffe that knows well how the game works, what kind of tactics are needed, where to best deploy the platoon, and how to communicate with the rest of the vanu leaders, etc. (and we dont necessarily need to win, but we should try)

Newer or more inexperienced leaders can always PL on any other night of the week. Once theyre comfortable enough with leading, they can do stratgir nights, and preferably start by doing SL.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    For my own personal reasons, can anyone in Bravo last night give me feedback on my SL'ing up until about 10pm where I had to log.

Network Hub
    A very different experience to the other nights of the week, much enjoyed being a dedicated taxi driver.

Activated Node
    I was only on for the first hour or so but Nick did a good job for Delta for that time atleast! I felt involved and informed! Sad I missed the lock but I'll be taking advantage of double xp and not having much else to do this weekend I think! (sorry Jesus this doesn't really help you but it prompted me to give Nick his props!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    For my own personal reasons, can anyone in Bravo last night give me feedback on my SL'ing up until about 10pm where I had to log.
    I had no problems with your leadership JP. We knew where to go, how to get there, why we were going there and what the rest of the platoon was up to. Info was delivered on time and concisely. Herded us up when we needed it. Job done

Wait, double xp weekend?!
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Wait, double xp weekend?!
    Yes: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...le-exp-weekend

Network Hub
    I would definitely rather be grunting for our most experienced PLs on Thursdays; it needs people with the knowledge and authority derived from that to make rapid, decisive calls on our direction.

Last night was excellent, felt like we found more enjoyable action quicker than other nights in the past.

I want to thank the members of Strategic Giraffes, first for allowing me into the outfit, and second for your patience as I learn to play Planetside 2. Though I'm a long-time gamer, I'm fairly new to multiplayer games (except for a pretty successful year I spent in Eve Online), and I'm certainly new to Planetside 2.

I'm in Chicago, and I'm fortunate that my prime gaming hours coincide with the hours many of you are on the Miller server. I'm new but I'm learning quickly, and I promise to do my best not to be a drag on the squad. Just today, I had a blast (and my first ride in a vehicle) thanks to some patient 'splaining from you guys, as well as an embarrassing number of resurrections. I learned what a squad waypoint looks like, and how to spawn near the squad leader. I'm still trying to figure out how to determine who to shoot, so I'm trying to be mostly harmless as a medic, where I can shoot my little healing gun at everybody (though I still don't know how to tell whether a player needs healing by looking at him).

Tomorrow, I hope to learn the names of the various vehicles and how to stay out of their way, and what common PS2 expressions such as "Max Crash" mean. I'm hopeful, because every day I learn a lot and I enjoy being a fly on the wall of some very entertaining chatter.

So thanks, OK?