Page 26 of 90 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Some thoughts on PLing for StratGir from last week (my first time, and fairly quiet - 3 squads, + air support)

• Scouting is brilliant. Doing it again, I'd totally consider having a couple of dedicated scouts in a separate channel with me, jut buzzing around and informing me of actual situations.
    • SLs really need to be good at feedback. Eso was great, and Johnson not bad, but I never knew about the problems that Quanta had at BlackShard, and the two SLs who took over later had to be asked repeatedly for Sitreps, never offering them.
    • Sending one squad to reinforce one who is in trouble really works.
    • Bravo were awesome.
    • Dedicated air support could actually work. Squad of say 2 libs, 2 A2A Scythe. They stay away from frontlines most of the time, but then SLs call them in on specific targets or jobs, and then pull back out afterwards. Relies in squads making use of them.

As for tonight - may be on for a bit, but no leader roles for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    As for tonight - may be on for a bit, but no leader roles for me.
    There's a 170 MB patch to download, so if you're on a slow line, better get started in time.

I fully agree with the sentiment that SLs who give good and regular sitreps are a great asset to a PL, just like PLs who let people know what is going on are good to play with as a grunt. Information transfer is something that I feel very strongly about, as people may have noticed.

I have NV and silencer for medic, LA and engie, as well as silenced pistol. Also I was a victim of that exact kind of team last week and it seemed fun and efficient. Definitely signing up for delta if you'll have me Ridebird. I don't get smoke on the guns I use, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Well.

I'd love to have all of y'all, but see who has signed up for this - basically all of us leaders Some of us will have to lead at least! We'll see how it turns out first.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Well.

I'd love to have all of y'all, but see who has signed up for this - basically all of us leaders Some of us will have to lead at least! We'll see how it turns out first.
    Id also love to give it a try, since I was pre-occupied last night, but at the same time, if I am needed to lead a squad elsewhere, then I guess I could do that. It does sound like a fun diversion from what weve been doing, and id like to try something new, because otherwise a game like this gets a little stale.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus NickWhite's Avatar
    Well done Boris, you did a really great job tonight.

65+ people online at the evenings peak meant a lot to keep track of. You wouldnt of thought it though because you managed it very well indeed. Very organised and well communicated. Thank you for stepping up and proving that there are other good leaders amongst us.

Started at pretty much our Warpgate and ended up cutting off the TR completely. Great progress for such a low VS pop.

Purple Giraffe for you buddy.
    prplgir.JPG
    Last edited by NickWhite; 21-02-2013 at 10:56 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Yeah, good job! I was never in the command chat, so I can't say anything about that, but what I would like to see is a bit more information about what the platoon is going about. Otherwise, I am pleased.

^what he said!

Yeah, and also; props to Ridebird and the rest of delta for running a tight operation! Was a lot of fun, though I can't shoot worth shit without my forward grip, apparently.

Apologies to Delta when I picked up Squad Lead. I was all over the place and a bit of a mess. But yeah, props to Ridebird. Smoke is the way forward. Just wish you could stick underbarrels on my shotty :P

Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Yeah delta was fun guys, so cheers. I would have loved to have heard the comms for that tank up on the hill when we crossed the frozen river :3

You did fine Dewi, props to you for stepping up and taking over!

Delta lived up to expectations, great job guys.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Tonight was my favorite Strat night so far.

I loved being part of delta squad and being in the spec op team. Can't wait for the next one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Awesome job, Boris, especially under such difficult circumstances.

And purple giraffes of awesome to all of Bravo squad. They had great initiative and great response time. Thank you, guys.

By the way, since this was my first time leading a squad in a strategic night: It is a whole different game. Way more intense and exciting, but can it wear a man down! Kudos to everyone that is doing it regularly. You already had my respect, but now... You are truly amazing.

Very well done Boris! We started out in a dreadful place and we got going pretty good. I love SL on a strat night with a PL who just issues good tight orders and lets us get to it.

Thank you to all the Charlies who put up with my chatter and our apparent role as the flankers, we got into some pretty nasty fights but I think we bought space and time for the rest of the platoon.

I strongly suggest some more folk SL - it's masses of fun - but then I talk a lot...

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    And purple giraffes of awesome to all of Bravo squad. They had great initiative and great response time. Thank you, guys.
    D'aaw, it was our squad leader really <3

Seriously though, you did a nice job of handling the whole squad and responding to individual events Only thing seemed to be that either your command chat button was broadcasting to squad as well, or you kept hitting the wrong one (which you admitted to on occasion :P )

How did things go with our public platoon? Apart from knowing that they existed and occasionally seeing a pile of zerg roll past in an unusually ordered fashion, I didn't get much of an idea what they were up to.
    "Swans are so big, they're like the Ostriches of the bird world"

Blech, och, argh, where do I start?

I suppose I'll start by apologizing profusely for my what-felt-very-much-akin to dismal bout as BL after the impeccable start Boriz made (Purple Giraffe to him) - it was more or less a spur-of-the-moment thing, and in hindsight, I shouldn't have volunteered with so little experience as SL under my belt. I was overly chatty in command, probably not chatty enough to the whole platoon, and too damn stubborn about holding Freyr to bug us over to Indar sooner, which was a boneheaded mistake, in all honesty. On that note, and as we have to some extent discussed before, feedback from SLs is something of a problem - not just strategically, but in general, such a thing as the overt chattiness could've been nipped in the bud if I'd been told to shut me damn trap by one of my victims.

On a far more positive note, thanks a lot for bearing over with me and not giving me the cursing out I at times very much deserved - I hope that at some point in the very, very far future, with an arseload more of experience as SL under my belt, that I can put together a less impotent performance as BL - if y'all feel like ever forgiving me this travesty here, that is

Quote Originally Posted by Grible View Post
    Very well done Boris! We started out in a dreadful place and we got going pretty good. I love SL on a strat night with a PL who just issues good tight orders and lets us get to it.
    Thanks to you and everyone else as well!

My general plan for the evening at the start was to put Delta in the out of the way places where we needed the adjacency so they can do their spec ops stuff. Alpha and Bravo were the main push and Charlie was the flanking squad, generally being in a place where we needed some defense against being flanked ourselves (such as Traverse and Jaeger's Fist). I had the public platoon also fight for adjacency and on defense a lot, but I generally didn't order them around all that much. I viewed them as an unreliable zerg. I don't mean that in a bad way, but in general it's not a spec ops team you can point at a base and they'll be there all together in a fixed amount of time, but they do have a lot of strength in numbers and can hold off an equal or bigger zerg if you tell them where it is. And that's good -- we needed a force like that with the resistance on Esamir.

I do feel I need to pull people out of losing fights quicker though, and get them to places where they can do some good. We should have been able to take Andvari Bio, for example, but didn't because I was hesitating to put everyone in the biolab, instead going for a split push on both it and Eisa. By the time I got everyone in the Biolab, it was lost. And then by the time we got to Eisa it was reinforced to such a degree that we weren't able to do much of anything there either. I got a bit sad when I saw at one point we had equal population but not equal territory, and since we were a big part of VS presence on Esamir it felt like I could have done things a bit better.

I also would like to apologize to Alpha squad for my lack of leadership for them (which consisted of a waypoint and about one sentence of orders). It went a lot better when Sam took up Alpha lead and got you guys doing stuff and succeeding at it.

All in all, I had a fun but stressful night

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Apologies to Delta when I picked up Squad Lead. I was all over the place and a bit of a mess. But yeah, props to Ridebird. Smoke is the way forward. Just wish you could stick underbarrels on my shotty :P
    It was all good, not your fault the battlefield developed in odd ways. I know the feeling you're left with as SL when you have to pull things like that as well, and I think most of the others do as well. Thanks for taking on the mantle.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I think you did very well Boris, especially considering this was your first run and this was by far the most complex setup we have ever had. I should probably have led tonight considering what looked like a normal strat night - plenty stressful enough - turned out to be pretty advanced. The situation was also terrible and we couldn't do much about it.

We had one spec ops team, three squads, air support squad and also a whole other public platoon. That is a lot of things to keep track of.

I also think you handled our special squad great. I didn't talk much in command as I wanted to focus on SLing, and perhaps I should've had more input. I was just glad that you responded quickly to my requests and gave us backup when needed (much quicker then most might I add! including myself). You let us run our course and do our thing without too much micro management. You also got what I wanted to do since you sent us to sattelites and not heavily defended bases. We still saw quite a lot of battle, so your targets were well picked.

Samp - it is not easy just being thrown in to leading, and yes, you probably should have some more SL experience. The thing is though, you stepped up when no one else would. That is, to me, what truly matters in these situations. I think you are too hard on yourself and that the rest of us perhaps were as well. However - you do need to talk less, but I know that when I started leading I chatted up the command chat constantly.

I will write a seperate post about comms discpline for strategic nights below, as this is something we need to work on.

Regarding the spec ops squad, it was among my top experiences with the game. Smoke did work - somewhat - but mostly it was just really fucking cool having about six light assaults and just a few medics and engineers. No heavy assaults needed, and hey, I myself killed about five tanks and a few sunderers. With only C4!

Having everyone have NV and silencers gave us a real advantage, I think. We seemed to not be detected until we started capping - ever - which is quite unusual seeing as we did do that many complete ghost caps. Again though, it was about working as a squad and that everyone was kitted similarly that was pretty great and made us work in unison. Also, again, cool. The coolness factor of being a small team with special equipment and a focus on staying undetected is something I quite enjoy, and apparently so did the others, as the yells were LOUD when I started attracting the attention of a liberator when I was bored at a ghost cap

Dewi: You did fine, and it wasn't you that moved us around. This was also a rather special squad designed from my mind, and it is not easy to just take over then. Again, like samp, you stepped up, and I appreciate that a lot.
    Last edited by RIDEBIRD; 22-02-2013 at 02:33 AM.
    Find me on the Steams