Page 29 of 86 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    Secure can be halfway through the cap - secure is spawn room is camped and such. I don't want to shut people out but being a known name is important.
    Agreed. (10)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Comms liaison duties does force you out of "the game" a bit, though, and concentrating on that while trying to shoot red and blue men (and the occasional woman) was tricky at times. But combining SL/waypoint/beacon duties with comms liaison worked out nicely. Especially since you yourself ordered Alpha around, rather than leaving that too to me.
    Agreed. Which is why whenever I used to PL I was rarely seen 'on foot'. Which, and I agree with others here, isn't a particularly good way of leading.

I think these comms / liaions officer roles are an excellent idea. It does mean the person taking the role does have to sacrifice some of their ability to play well. I know I spend a lot of time hiding whilst typing out whipsers...
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardancer View Post
    Good work everyone yesterday, was really good leading with just the right amount of micromanagement from Ridebird. Letting squads have some autonomy and move to bases/objectives as they see fit. This is what I want from the Stratgir nights, the Balloon leader directing the platoon to a main target and the squad leaders try to get their squads to do minor objectives and keep the BL in the loop. This also lets the BL focus on the bigger picture and have some time to actually play the game while he leads.
    To this point I would say, from my personal point of view, I felt Alpha lacked the micromanaging SL role a little bit last night. Please don't get me wrong, I think RIDEBIRD did an excellent job as PL and I had a very good time, I just feel like maybe we need an NCO as well as a CO if you know what I mean?

I was going to say something in the debrief but I didn't want to put a negative slant on a positive situation.

Also right at the end of the night I was 'SL' for alpha even if that only meant putting the spawn beacon down a couple of times! But it definitely made me think its something I want to have a go at properly so I'll volunteer myself at some point soon I think.

Just to reiterate, RIDE I think you did a great job and I had a good time!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yeah having a squad leader for Alpha that is not the current PL would probably be a good idea that way the PL can really focus on the big picture and over arching strategy instead of managing his squad as well.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Again, I don't prefer to lead that way when I PL. I should probably just stick to vets in alpha if I do it next time, but I find it disconnecting and weird to give yourself orders and not be on the same level as the other SLs. It just doesn't work for me to give orders for squads while I'm not squad leading and then having my SL, which I'm now under suddenly, repeat what I said and then I follow my own orders from another person.

It gets confusing but I know my squad leading is severely lacking when also platoon leading, but my approach is also to not boss over the other SLs a lot, and rather have us all work together on where to go where they also take initiative. This can be difficult with fresh SLs as they haven't gotten in to it yet. For example, Wardancers frequently moved to where I was going to send him before I did so - he has SLd when I'm PL before. With less such management it leaves you more room for proper squad leading, as I think the PL should just be an elevated squad leader. That's how I see it anyway and that's how I think the game works best.

Its not the first time people have said this though, so I guess I will have to ditch my idea and do it like the others. Can you other PLs - that play while leading - explain how you do it?
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The one StratGir night I was PL for, I sat in an empty ALpha (it was a quiet night)and told people where to go. It seemed to work alright from my point of view (we were a lot more mobile that night than some others), but you'd have to ask other how well it went over all (we did get Amerish though).
    Equally, I've acted as Alpha SL for Nick while he was PLing. That seemed to work quite well - I corralled Alpha into moving together, getting to the sundie, etc, while Nick was able to keep up with the movement of the Platoon as a whole.

Yeah I know it works for others, but I wonder how. I know Grible felt it was weird as well. I find it very strange to give myself orders like that and feel taken out of the action somewhat.
    Find me on the Steams

Yeah, i remember that... Hearing CMaster repeat my orders was fine. Preferably (obviously) you'd rather not hear it again, since they will pretty much copy exactly what you say, but due to the current mumble setup the PL cant really be anywhere else...

Well, other than in a seperate PL channel, along with the comms officer maybe. Something like that might solve your problem Ridebird? Something i'll discuss tonight.

I think having the Alpha squad comprised mostly of vets worked well last Thursday. When you had your busy PL hat on instead of being the SL, our player experience and teamwork seemed to compensate.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

No, I refuse to sit alone. If that is the case I will never lead again. Remove the social aspect and Planetside 2 sucks.
    Find me on the Steams

Haha hmmmmm bit dramatic Ridebird :P

I see what you mean though i think, about hearing the general "buzz" of the squad and all that entails, it is nice. Keeps things interesting and helps you gauge the night/fight.

Not sure whether i would go as far as to class a separate channel as anti-social though. The Comms person/people/other outfit PLs/comms person could be in there talking and formulating tactics and co-op. (talking the mega important talk) Plus, the squad leaders usually chime in now and then.

Note: I'm sort of talking more in general now. In terms of that whole mumble/comms thing.

Because i'm right in thinking you prefer to do most of it yourself anyway Ridebird? Which is great. So i guess it all ends up being subjective to that night and PL anyway... If only there was a way to sort of amalgamate the best parts of the two?
    Last edited by NickWhite; 02-03-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

It's true though. Playing alone suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. And yes, I prefer to do it my way - but it's clear to me as well that my squad leading is lacking severly when PLing. I will probably try doing it the standard way next time.
    Find me on the Steams

Ok - takers for PL and such tomorrow? I would quite like to run Delta Force spec ops.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    I'm rather interested, but I'm not sure how well my voice will hold up. Have been having a bout of cold so far this week.

Now Craig is getting even more people to join thursday. This will be an absolute mess if we have way too many not on Mumble. I posted there to let them see that, and I have tweeted at Jim to see if he can pass the message on.
    Find me on the Steams

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I'll hopefully be back this Thursday to join in again. I've just started recovery from a bronchitis infection in my chest that I've just had to ride out, been told drugs'll do nothing. I can still barely talk but at least the fever is gone.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I'll hopefully be back this Thursday to join in again. I've just started recovery from a bronchitis infection in my chest that I've just had to ride out, been told drugs'll do nothing. I can still barely talk but at least the fever is gone.
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better and up to the task of kicking NC/TR ass.

Unfortunately my D&D game got moved to Thursday so I can't make it.

However, I do have 1 suggestion:

Run the wednesday setup for all the "new" people. Run the Stratgir just for 2 or 3 spec ops squads. Get the rest of the combat veterans leading squads in the public platoon. By this I mean Balloon Leaders and experienced Beacons. Vocal leaders. Stratgir's job is to protect the public platoon. Keep their flanks clean. Do stuff for them that's only tangentially related to their objective (like taking outposts at a big facility or grab some adjacency).

My reasoning being this: A squad of new players isn't worth much in a Stratgir setup anyway -- they have no scopes, no weapons, no upgrades, don't know the lay of the land or what a specific callout (like "Zepher incoming North") means for their tactical situation. I don't think that will function in squad-sized bites, you can't task a squad like that to take an outpost, but they can be very useful in a platoon sized bite.

I lied, I have two suggestions, the second being:
    Don't fight on Indar if it's poplocked. The point of this is to get as many RPS readers as we can fighting together. If the continent is poplocked, that won't happen. 2 platoons worth of people can make a really big dent in Esamir.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Hoc View Post
    Sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better and up to the task of kicking NC/TR ass.
    Cheers.

Just don't ask me to shout them to death or chase them up any steep embankments.

Boris makes a good point that someone could run a "wednesday" set up for new players on thursday who might not be ready for strat just yet. Give them the option perhaps.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

Steam ID

Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    If needed an RPS zerg alongside a strat platoon would be the best solution to an influx of people but I don't imagine we'll see all that many new arrivals.

Also I didn't know craig played with us (my awareness of such things is always bad) but hi.

Yeah Boris, that's the way we'll have to go. I just wish they actually checked what day it was before they sent that out, as it would have been a perfect call out for tonight.

I also did not know Craig played with us.

edit: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013...tomorrow-night
    Never mind, Jim got us sorted! He mentions and links stratgir. Perfect. Though, I reckon it will be extremely intense to lead.
    Find me on the Steams