Page 31 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
Results 601 to 620 of 1700
  1. #601
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,095
    I think a mix of CMaster's suggestions would be optimal: new player squads. A squad with 2-4 veterans and the rest new guys. Answer questions, support them with higher rank abilities, show them how the cool toys like Magriders or Galaxies behave when certed, yet htey still get to be part of the overall plan, so they get to see what the bigger picture is and what the fuss is all about.

  2. #602
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Cooper: on server2.herosquad.org there is already a second squad play channel platoon setup. Maybe we should use that?

    Also, I wouldn't mind PLing or SLing this time.
    I've PMd Nulk about this. If it will help the load on the box(es) we can do that.

    I would prefer not splitting us, simply to avoid PLs running two instances of Mumble. But if the regulars need splitting off for the sakes of server-load, this is easily done, and I'm happy to do so.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  3. #603
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,053
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEclectic View Post
    I think a mix of CMaster's suggestions would be optimal: new player squads. A squad with 2-4 veterans and the rest new guys. Answer questions, support them with higher rank abilities, show them how the cool toys like Magriders or Galaxies behave when certed, yet htey still get to be part of the overall plan, so they get to see what the bigger picture is and what the fuss is all about.
    Let's see how numbers pan out.

    I would prefer not to have a "vet platoon" if it means there are not enough regulars to support the influx of new / returning players.

    We are (one of) the RPS outfits. We are here for RPS readers first and foremost. If our responsiveness and tactical abilities on just one night of the many nights we play is reduced because we have to play at a slower pace for the new players, then that is fine. If our cohesiveness and effectiveness on the field takes second place to making sure players joining the game are having fun and know what's going on, then that is also fine.

    That being said, I don't see that it will be that much of a problem. I don;t think it will actually be a chocie between supporting newbies and being effective. We can do both, and for the sake of the new player experience, we should try to do both.

    The fast response we get on strat night comes down to being able to quickly redploy. As long as we allow for new palyers to get used to using the redeploy button as soon as asked, we'll be fine. In fact, having 12 people in a channel makes us resonsive anyway. I never have to wait with my Gal at warpgate in small channel,s but have to hang around for ages in busy ones. My hope is the tighter experience of strat will mean people autmoatically get that 'mor effective' feeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  4. #604
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,020
    Totally agree Coop, we should adjust to what's best for the new dudes. Not so much for just the fact that we're RPS, but that we need new people to grow. And we want them to STAY!

    edit: Also let's focus on RPS and skip comms liasion for just tommorrow imo. That way we should be able to do organized strat with mentioned vet+noob squads. I propose 4 vets + 8 new or so. We'll see how many we get.
    Find me on the Steams

  5. #605
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    890
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    That being said, I don't see that it will be that much of a problem. I don;t think it will actually be a chocie between supporting newbies and being effective. We can do both, and for the sake of the new player experience, we should try to do both.
    I think we can help achieve this by explaining a few simple things:
    1. Squads are always more effective when they operate as a unit, so try to stick close to your squaddies or the lead. Increased firepower and quick revives are great!
    2. Planetside is a game of logistics and mobility, meaning that squads or platoons have to move to different locations quickly sometimes. Usually the squad waypoint will be the rally point for pick-up if the squad moves via bus or galaxy. If the goal is to drop in on a spawn beacon the SL placed, typing /suicide is the best way to go.
    3. Class choice is obviously up to personal preferences, but medics and heavies are good most of the time. Light Assault is great fun, and usually there shoulnd't be more than 1 infiltrator per squad.

    These three are very basic, but i think both us and anyone's that just trying out planetside for the first time will have a much better time if we communicate them.

    I found this (https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B5Cj...ajg/edit?pli=1) a while ago too. It's TEST's new player manual and might be a bit outdated, but it's definitely useful.

  6. #606
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,053
    @RIDE If I can, I'll do what I can over /command chat. But, yes, let's focus on the influx of new players above all else.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

  7. #607
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,314
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    I've PMd Nulk about this. If it will help the load on the box(es) we can do that.

    I would prefer not splitting us, simply to avoid PLs running two instances of Mumble. But if the regulars need splitting off for the sakes of server-load, this is easily done, and I'm happy to do so.
    No, I mean there are two squad-play platoons set up on the other server, in anticipation of future higher attendance rates. Same server dual stratgir channel setups.

  8. #608
    Activated Node
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    35
    I would be extremely wary of any setup that splits new players from those who are more established. I have been involved in a fair number of gaming communities before PS2 where this type of thing was done, and it never went well.

    New players enjoy playing in a more mixed group because:
    - They will get a better sense of the atmosphere that the RPS mumble server enjoys on regular nights
    - They get to see and make use of more shiny equipment that vets have
    - It will mean the squads with new players in are generally more organised and therefore more effective and hopefully more enjoyable as a result.

    I think anything that encourages any kind of separation is dangerous, because you end up with 'us and them'. Who decides whether someone is a newbie or not? When do you change to not having to use the specific newbie channels?

    I can understand the tendency of some more regular players to play in squads consisting of only other regular players, but as others have said, the purpose of the RPS outfit is to act as a way of allowing RPS forum users to play together in a semi-organised fashion. That has to be the primary goal at all times, before anything else. Any attempt to put things in place that dilute that I think is wrong.

    Anyways, just my two cents

    Wibbster

  9. #609
    Lesser Hivemind Node apricotsoup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    984
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibbster View Post
    I would be extremely wary of any setup that splits new players from those who are more established. I have been involved in a fair number of gaming communities before PS2 where this type of thing was done, and it never went well.

    New players enjoy playing in a more mixed group because:
    - They will get a better sense of the atmosphere that the RPS mumble server enjoys on regular nights
    - They get to see and make use of more shiny equipment that vets have
    - It will mean the squads with new players in are generally more organised and therefore more effective and hopefully more enjoyable as a result.

    I think anything that encourages any kind of separation is dangerous, because you end up with 'us and them'. Who decides whether someone is a newbie or not? When do you change to not having to use the specific newbie channels?

    I can understand the tendency of some more regular players to play in squads consisting of only other regular players, but as others have said, the purpose of the RPS outfit is to act as a way of allowing RPS forum users to play together in a semi-organised fashion. That has to be the primary goal at all times, before anything else. Any attempt to put things in place that dilute that I think is wrong.

    Anyways, just my two cents

    Wibbster
    I think you're taking this out of context.

    We're literally just talking about 1 day when we're likely to be over capacity for just one platoon (48).
    There would be no going from being a newbie to a full member as they're a full member with access to the mumble as soon as they join. The new platoon would also be run by multiple veterans helping people to learn the ropes without whilst supporting the main assult.

    Planetside also has a really bad first time experience with many confusing icons and an area where people can freely ask questions is good.

    It'll be hard for people to repeatedly follow commands when people join along the way as there are so many odd terms for all vehicles, base assets, weapons, etc.

  10. #610
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Sweden (Göteborg)
    Posts
    3,314
    You know, I'm really on the fence over this one.

    On one hand, I think having a dedicated "intro squad" could be just what a new player needs; a calmer environment wher s/he can get to learn the game, the icons, the certs, the map and all the words, without having to respond to constantly changing orders.

    On the other hand, being in a squad together with the veteran players, you'll get to see how the game is played "for realz", whereas it might be a bit more hectic and finding the opportunity to ask all those "dumb" questions that new players inevitably have, might be harder. Sure, the stratgir setup cuts down on some of the chatter, but I still think it can be a bit daunting for those new players who are a bit less sure of themselves.

    And finally, as Jag says, we'll definitely not do this on a regular night, but we've seen that since Jim's front-page post, we've had at least ten new people show up already (as far as I've seen) and I expect even more tonight.

    Maybe doing mix of the two could work out alright? Having squads of at least 4 veterans and no more than 8 new players might be a good compromise. I think that if we put one or two new players in a regular squad, they just won't get the space they need for asking questions and learning to play, while at the same time giving access to some upgraded tanks and galaxies etc.


    For the record, there is no such thing as a dumb question; this game has a learning curve just slightly shy of Dwarf Fortress, and there is much to learn.

  11. #611
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,379
    I know Ive been out of the game, but let me make two remarks:

    first of all, they've deployed the patch yesterday, I KNEW THIS NOT THANKS TO WARDANCER.

    secondly, I suggest having a lightning squad, comprised of veterans. That way, you still have a response team that knows its' shit, but also have new players mixed in with the old.

    thirdly, if there are two platoons, they should stay in touch.

    fourthly, have atleast 6 veterans per squad, no less. Also, these people should have good sundies and/or galaxies, that is a deal breaker.

    and fifthlylessly, MOST IMPORTANTLY: Have the best PL on tonight, together with the best SLs. no fucking democratics, tonight is about showing your fucking best, so gather them all up. I dont vote as I wont participate, but you know who you are. Cooper, if possible, you should be there. Also, a comm officer should be there too.

    That's my thoughts on the matter. Hope to drive you around in flashes again soon! (Im fucking swamped with work at the moment)
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 14-03-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: wardancerz
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  12. #612
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    690
    The patch was deployed yesterday

  13. #613
    Moderator QuantaCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Vienna, Austria
    Posts
    6,379
    thats what I said, wasnt it?
    - Tom De Roeck.

    verse publications

    "Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

    "It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

    "I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

    "At least he has some personality."

  14. #614
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,020
    There needs to be a mix imo. Fast response is nice and all, but we have clarified for TVA that we are not at peak efficiency tonight. Our focus will be on giving the new players as good of an experience as possible.
    Find me on the Steams

  15. #615
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    4,249
    TheRealSeanConnery made last night one of the funniest night's I've ever had playing this game.

    Nice leading by Nick and CMaster in alpha.
    "Halo is designed to make the player think "I look like that, I am macho sitting in my undies with my xbox""

    Steam ID

  16. #616
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,623
    Moved to A Call To Arms thread.

  17. #617
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus BasicPauly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,077
    Just for the record... id be more than happy to take up a space in a newbie platoon, if we decided to have a dedicated one (given demand)... it would be nice to have all of the new people in one platoon, with a few other members who arent afraid to speak up and help out with questions/generally chat to the newcomers.

  18. #618
    Lesser Hivemind Node
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    890
    moved to 'a call to arms'

  19. #619
    Network Hub
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Switzerland, GMT+1
    Posts
    100
    I've had a great evening yesterday. Thanks for the organization!
    I was in alpha squad of esotericreverie's platoon (can't say which one it was).
    I hadn't come back in the game since christmas and because of the call to arms I was driven to try again.
    I had almost everything graphic turned off and the game was awful but at least it was fluid but in the thickest of battle.
    The squadleading was really good, thank you again.
    I sure need training with the game and with squad-work, but i guess sticking on thursday will help on the former. For the latter, is there some kind of boot camp I could attend to?

  20. #620
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    1,507
    Quote Originally Posted by Silgidorn View Post
    I've had a great evening yesterday. Thanks for the organization!
    I was in alpha squad of esotericreverie's platoon (can't say which one it was).
    I hadn't come back in the game since christmas and because of the call to arms I was driven to try again.
    I had almost everything graphic turned off and the game was awful but at least it was fluid but in the thickest of battle.
    The squadleading was really good, thank you again.
    I sure need training with the game and with squad-work, but i guess sticking on thursday will help on the former. For the latter, is there some kind of boot camp I could attend to?
    There is some talk about having training sessions. Primarily for infantry, I think, but I will try to re-start flying squads when/(if) I get less busy and can devote more time for PS2.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •