Page 48 of 90 FirstFirst ... 38464748495058 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cephas's Avatar
    I figured as it was both highly strategic, and the ending of a highly strategic evening last night it had a home here . The V was, of course, intentional!

Alright Maggots!

Given the changes that I have proposed to comms in another thread I feel it's only right that I lead the charge this week, unless there's any major objections? I will be looking for SL volunteers (will need 4-6) as well as 4-6 others who i can run through the binds with for the comms test tonight.

Cmaster has already agreed to PL one platoon for me. Eso, given that you are as up to speed as us as to what is going on would you mind taking Platoon 2?

The platoons will run with 3 squads in each with Alpha not open to recruitment, and will contain the command group and MCU (Mobile Command Unit) crew.

Given that we need to run through some things with volunteers, and of course others that are interested, I would like to postpone the start to 20:00PM BST. I would ask that people log on 15 minutes beforehand so we can organise you all into squads and still start on time

Volunteers make yourselves known here and be on mumble at 19:00 BST for a briefing on the command structure and tonights activities. I will be on from 18:00BST, give or take. I would like 2 or 3 people around then to run tests on the new system Eso has setup.

Tonights comms and MCU trial will finish at 22:00PM at which point there will be a quick debrief, where I will ask for feedback as to how everyone throught it worked, any chnages they'd like to make, or if they would prefer we sue our current system from now on.

What is this mobile command unit? Is this something I should know about already (apologies if I'm behind the times).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    I can SL TopGir/GiRAF or an infantry squad. Are you planning on incorporating the flying giraffes in a new way in the comms experiment?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    Eso, given that you are as up to speed as us as to what is going on would you mind taking Platoon 2?
    I would love to, but I'm not sure I can make it. It's my turn to do the bedtime routine, so I'll have to mediate an exchange with my wife if I am to get off. I've also been away quite a few nights already this week, since my old dad got badly sick and

Quote Originally Posted by sinomatic View Post
    What is this mobile command unit? Is this something I should know about already (apologies if I'm behind the times).
    Fairly similar to the safe zone/FOB for the air group; a couple of Sundies and some armour support, that houses PL and a crew to secure the spawn point and support the assault. These people will be in direct contact with other similar crews and the SG coordinating the platoons, via push-to-talk, as if they were in a squad of their own.

I actually just came on to ask if you would like to run a GiRAF squad Lakroy. That would be awesome, You will be assigned one squad in Platoon 1. You will not need a ground crew as one will be provided as part of the MCU.

Socroft, I am happy if you would like to get people together for a harraser squad too! A mechanised division would be excellent, but be aware that some flexibility in your roles may change depending ont he situation.

Sinomatic: It started with our air squads, having a a base consisting of 2 ammo sundys, 2 skyguards and a handful of engis to create a no fly zone for the enemy and a safe zone for our air as well as rearm and repair oppourtunities. I am moving this forward for use within our main platoons and expanding on it as a quick deploy sundy replacement service as well as a place where platoon commanders can plot relatively unhndered yet still gain certs from repairs/skyguard shooting.

The base is situated off the beaten track near the objective but out of harms way. The advantage being the enemy rarely look for oppostion outside of actual bases. This lets us choose our attack direction and position, whilst also being able to quickly up and leave should we need to

Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    I can SL TopGir/GiRAF or an infantry squad. Are you planning on incorporating the flying giraffes in a new way in the comms experiment?
    We could, if you want to. Do you? Do you have any ideas for how comms for TopGir can be improved or are you happy to roll as one big blob like before?

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    I would love to, but I'm not sure I can make it.
    No problem, I'll hold you in reserve, but could I have a volunteer for leader of Platoon 2 please?

We also need ideally another 5 SL's

Interesting. I missed the start up of the air squads as well, so this is all fairly new to me.

We could, if you want to. Do you? Do you have any ideas for how comms for TopGir can be improved or are you happy to roll as one big blob like before?
    Hmm...

Seeing as the in-game voice comms are pretty bad, would it be possible to set up some sort of vehicle crew channels for a squad in mumble? You would use your secondary push-to-talk key for those in the vehicle (battle galaxy, liberator), and the regular push-to-talk key for communicating with the whole squad (or the other way around if necessary). Sort of like RO channels that are not linked. Perhaps this is hoping for too much though.

Hmm...

Seeing as the in-game voice comms are pretty bad, would it be possible to set up some sort of vehicle crew channels for a squad in mumble? You would use your secondary push-to-talk key for those in the vehicle (battle galaxy, liberator), and the regular push-to-talk key for communicating with the whole squad (or the other way around if necessary). Sort of like RO channels that are not linked. Perhaps this is hoping for too much though.
    I was either going to put the ground crew in with the command group, or in your squad channel, so either way you'll have a direct line of contact to them

Quote Originally Posted by Dewi View Post
    I was either going to put the ground crew in with the command group, or in your squad channel, so either way you'll have a direct line of contact to them
    This was not what I meant, but as you brought it up, it is probably best to have 2-4 as ground crew within the air squad. That way they can swap with those in the air when timers and resources run out. However, if we have a significant ground crew at the FOB already, perhaps it would be possible to keep the entirety of TopGir in the air. By the way, is the platoon waypoint always going to be on the FOB/MCU/safe zone?

What I did mean was a suggestion for further refinement of the mumble comms by adding subchannels in which vehicle crews for liberators and galaxies can talk to eachother using the secondary push-to-talk key (the one with binds, normally used for ROs etc).

Yes, LaKroy, within reason, most things are possible, the problems arise when you need to be able to talk to more than two different sets of people. Splitting vehicle crews and/or fighter wings into separate channels is quite feasible. Let them use their PTT to talk to the smaller set of people (the crew/wing), and use the whisper (Current+Linked) to talk to the larger set (all of TopGir, possibly minus command group?) and it'll be consistent with the other channels. No problem. Do you want to try this tonight?

A setup like this, maybe?

Platoon Command (TopGir ground crew sits here)
    .. Bravo
    .. Charlie
    .. TopGir (Delta)
    .. .. Blue Wing
    .. .. Yellow Wing
    .. .. Green Wing
    .. .. Gold Wing
    .. .. White Wing
    .. .. Black Wing

This was not what I meant, but as you brought it up, it is probably best to have 2-4 as ground crew within the air squad. That way they can swap with those in the air when timers and resources run out. However, if we have a significant ground crew at the FOB already, perhaps it would be possible to keep the entirety of TopGir in the air. By the way, is the platoon waypoint always going to be on the FOB/MCU/safe zone?

What I did mean was a suggestion for further refinement of the mumble comms by adding subchannels in which vehicle crews for liberators and galaxies can talk to eachother using the secondary push-to-talk key (the one with binds, normally used for ROs etc).
    Apologies, trying to do stuff at work at the same time means i got myself confused. I know what you mean, but in my experience in the air squad, the ground crew rarely swapped as they either preferred being on the ground, or just didnt feel comfortable flying. I don't forsee this being too much of an issue since you will still be in direct comms with the ground crew and still be able to request theyn pull what you need should resources and timers be an issue

Yes, LaKroy, within reason, most things are possible, the problems arise when you need to be able to talk to more than two different sets of people. Splitting vehicle crews and/or fighter wings into separate channels is quite feasible. Let them use their PTT to talk to the smaller set of people (the crew/wing), and use the whisper (Current+Linked) to talk to the larger set (all of TopGir, possibly minus command group?) and it'll be consistent with the other channels. No problem. Do you want to try this tonight?

A setup like this, maybe?

Platoon Command (TopGir ground crew sits here)
    .. Bravo
    .. Charlie
    .. TopGir (Delta)
    .. .. Blue Wing
    .. .. Yellow Wing
    .. .. Green Wing
    .. .. Gold Wing
    .. .. White Wing
    .. .. Black Wing
    I likey, what about you Lakroy?

Actually, I could add one of these channels to each platoon, so that we get a bit more flexibility. Could be used for tank crews too, and they could be in the same platoon (in the game) or in another platoon but under the same command group, whichever people prefer. And splitting into wings could be optional, simply sitting in the root channel like any other squads could be what we do until we have enough people on.

We're getting back into the realm of far too mnay channels again I feel. Hmmm I'd like to try it though!

on another note, still need lots of volunteers. To help get things organised now, pop your name down on this spreadsheet as to whereabouts you'd like to be. Be aware that it will all be subject to change and MCU crew spots are extremely limited. Priority in each squad will be given to those on this list first. I am trusting everyone with this link to not remove other peoples names (remember I can track changes and will not be pleased with anyone being a dick). Let's get this sorted:

Linky

Oh, and yes LaKroy, squad waypints will be squad targets and platoon waypoint will be safe zone

Heya,

I'm fairly new to all this, only started the game a few weeks ago and just joined the outfit yesterday, but I'm looking forward to StratGir and would love to help out.
    I've mostly been certing up in Medic so if you need a dedicated Medic or have an odd-job role that needs filling I'd be happy to help!

*Edit* Small caveat : I'm terrible at flying - or rather, I can just about fly in the right direction and excel at getting shot out of the sky minutes from lift-off.
    Last edited by FabJC; 11-07-2013 at 01:10 PM.