Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Although no use for lightnings and scythes, people could buddy up for magriders and libs.

I get a mag and Cooper jumps in it. We die in 2 minutes. So now Cooper gets one and I just in it. We manage to live long enough that when we do die, I have mine available again. We also both play engineers or one engineer and one heavy for the purpose of keeping our mag alive.
    Absolutely. If your Scythe is on cooldown, crack open a Libby or hop in someone elses.

From previous experience (notably the original), people have to be prepared for some waiting around whilst marshalling attacks or reserves (ie, those on cooldowns). A lot of the time, especially when you're forced to continually retreat from spawn point to spawn point, or are faced with a static meat grinder, it's better just to regroup at the Warp Gate.

Rushing around too much can lead to teams getting scattered, and the more scattered a team is, the more scattered they will become when moving to a new objective.

The only problem is, the more time you spend organising, the further behind the zerg you get. The solution is exactly the same as the original game; Stay two steps ahead. Grab an objective before it becomes cappable. Attack the source of enemy reinforcements. A particular favourite of mine is to camp the area between the current VS objective and the air tower where all the enemy flyers go to repair and re-arm. Nail down some choke points or cause mayhem behind enemy lines. You don't actually get that much XP from taking a facility, and getting stuck with the zerg has it's own problems; getting TK'd by blind Magrider drivers, or getting TK'd/weapon locked from friendlies not watching their field of fire, or just running in front of your lasher spam.

Be proactive in setting objectives away from the zerg rather than just reacting to whatever crisis is taking place. Perhaps even predict those crisis before they happen (such as scouting missions with Scythes, followed by gal-drops). The less VS zerg in the area, the easier it is to organise ourselves

Id like to ask the players of Saturday 1-5pm how my platoon leadering was? I know if Im stuck for words, I sound a bit panicky, its just that Im trying to find the fucking words and its usually something urgent, but aside from that, strategy wise, I had the strong feeling that it worked quite ok, but some advice from JG really made sense, and probably could have been acted on a bit sooner.

My only complaint is that I got next to no XP, but "under my rule" we managed to take back over a quarter of the map on esamir while the zerg was happily dying against TR hordes.

Thoughts?
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    I'll start up a strategic platoon later today probably.. Tried playing yesterday and leading the RPS zerg, but it's hard to get any real good results when you don't play in squads and people generally just do what they want.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Id like to ask the players of Saturday 1-5pm how my platoon leadering was?
    Absolutely fine. I've noticed that when we don't have a leader (nobody's fault, it just happens sometimes) or just someone making the decision where to head then we just get bogged down and I don't have as much fun, leadership keeps up our mobility (essentially the whole point of mechanised infantry) and lifts us above being part of the drone herd. Plus we get organised galaxy drops

Yes. I just hope they do that triple station cash thing soon so I dont need the certs that badly anymore.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Actually, to add, I love being a platoon commander, still dont know if I can anticipate the enemy movements enough yet (I got my own squad lead a bit later, with "only mumble giraffes"; which was awesome, but I was a bit overwhelmed, it really pays off having someone looking at the strategic map all the time. (or if they ever implement it, having a second screen that shows the overlay))
    but Im willing to gain more experience in doing so, even if I get less certs for it.

Looking forward to double platoon events, that has to be awesome.

also, sorry for everyone getting annoyed by my mumbling by now, I hope the territories we took -albeit temporarily- were well worth it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Would like to see an organized platoon today..

Some parts of yesterday worked great with the casual platoon, namely the defense of Dahaka. Some other parts were a lot of second guessing of my orders and people just doing what they felt like (caused us to be split up in three territories for a good while).

Are we still going to roll with the ad hoc leadership for the forseeable future?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Are we doing this again today or not?
    Who's doing PL/SL roles?

(I've got the beacon certs now and could do SL)

I talked to Monilas yesterday about PLing, my approach is to -I shit you not- look at the strategic map the entire time, and jump into sectors when theyre about to be capped (or stay on the 12th spot of a sunderer).

It is very tiring, but it seriously pays off. (not being cut off, etc) it just hurts your cert intake, massively.

His approach is to stay in a turret or to "do one region at a time". which makes sense, but Ive been cut off several times already from not paying attention to the map, so I rather not. But whatever works, obviously.

I wont have time tonight, but I wish you all good hunting.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar
    Joined yesterday for a couple of minutes during the tech plant attack on Esamir (around 10pmish). Great fun. This was the first time since long that I actually was able to place a sunderer in a spot that was usefull. An only because that's the only usefull spot I know (On tech plants right behind the enemy spawn. They have a hard time getting there if enough people spawn to block the entrances. And with the missing teleporters it's now even more effective as it helps your offense at the main entrances)

Won't be there for the next days. Try to join on the weekend.

I've lead a lot, and looking at the map is very important, but it's more important to be in the game and see what you're guys are facing. If you don't experience it you can't make good calls. Sometimes you miss that the enemy capped something, but I find it not that incredbly important. Generally I keep track of what is around us at all times, so I can see if we are about to lose influence.

At facilities or bases you can imo play and never look at the map, and order squads around based on what you see in the situation. Just have leaderchannel up and you'll see desperate calls that are happening somewhere else.

I play at the same time as I make calls and watch out for strategy. I find that there's no real issue. The problem with making good calls is in my experience people going "where we going next???" x 10 or "can we go here?" "lets go here" "im going here" when they haven't listened to orders. That creates a lot of stress that makes me make shitty calls.

One thing I'd like to get out of the way is that you can tell what order I've given. 99% of the time I update the waypoint when I give the order. I very rarely forget this. This is because it keeps things clear for me. Therefore the question "what to do" can be answered by looking at the map.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Could we be a bit more strict about having specific squad Sunderers? It would be more efficient if a squad moved between points as a unit, instead of the current "hitching a ride". I guess it might slow things down a bit, though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I can offer my services as squad sundy driver. However, we should probably have two people per squad, one as a backup in case the main drivers blows up.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus MrEclectic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I can offer my services as squad sundy driver. However, we should probably have two people per squad, one as a backup in case the main drivers blows up.
    I agree, and just in case, although I've not used it much, I've certed AMS, Ammo dispenser and Rival Chasis.

That would be preferable and it works very well when it is, well, working well. I will keep you both in mind as designated drivers. I find it that if you manage to stick together once and deploy at a base people remember where the sundy is parked, and then you get this nice flow going.

The hard thing is getting in to that flow.

Quote Originally Posted by RIDEBIRD View Post
    That would be preferable and it works very well when it is, well, working well. I will keep you both in mind as designated drivers. I find it that if you manage to stick together once and deploy at a base people remember where the sundy is parked, and then you get this nice flow going.

The hard thing is getting in to that flow.
    I suggest putting the waypoint where the sundy should be parked. that way, you always find back, and you always know where to go from the sundy too because its usually very obvious.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

Squad waypoints are great for marking the sundies up. The waypoint can then be changed to the target location once everyone and their account-abila-buddy is on the bus.

Yeah, I used it to make it work last strategic run. I just wish there were more markers for PLs and SLs to use.

Don't the Rally Point objectives let you do that? Or do they replace Squad Objectives?

I thought they were just for all to see, like those icons that pop up sometimes on the map. Squad objectives can only be set on generators etc, never bothered getting them as you can only use them as SL anyway.