Activated Node

Case Recommendations

Just bought myself some new bits and pieces for a system build and need some case recommendations.

Was going to go for the Coolermaster Elite 430 Plus but I've heard it has some issues with cable management (it has none).

Anyone got any recommendations in a similar price range 40-50.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    How about an Antec Three Hundred Two for 50.37.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    I've an Antec Three Hundred, I don't remember it having a "Two" on it, so I might have an older model or I'm just forgetting.

For the money, they're great cases. They've cable management, easy fan access for the front two fans if you want to install it. Cable management is there too.

Issues I have with it
    1) It's more my PSU, but since my PSU isn't modular, there's a lot of cables around and the cable management can't handle all of them, though I might not be trying hard enough.
    2) The audio jacks on the front aren't great and I always got buzzing from them. I found a guide that showed some cases are wired up poorly where the USB and Audio share a common ground which was causing the buzzing, but when I went to look for it, I couldn't find it. This wasn't a massive issue, but just so you're aware.

Despite the two flaws I still recommend it. It's a great case and both flaws are easy to remedy or might not even be an issue for you.

The Three Hundred Two is an updated version, as the name suggests. It looks very similar (ie. understated black, mesh front).

It has USB3.0 in the front panel (that's a different connector and wiring than USB2.0 so with a little luck that audio buzzing thing will be fixed as a result). HDDs mount sideways. It seems to have more cable management holes, though they're on the small side (still much better than no holes at all). It also adds a cutout for installing a CPU cooler backplate.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Upon review of my receipt for the order of my case, it is the Three Hundred Two, which might explain why the wiring on my one was different to most of the guides online for fixing the buzzing. I'd look around for a guide specific to the Three Hundred Two, but it's such an non-issue for me that I'm not pushed.

Again, not putting this case down at all, it's a great case for a great price and doesn't come with anything you don't need.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I have an Antec 900 and Antec 1200-2. No problems with them and room to get everything in there. I wish my 1200 had easier to remove fan dust filters and the built in 2.5 drive mount is in a odd place(Was a pain to get cables to my SSD). You can use a 2.5 bracket one of the many HDD bay tho.

Review comparing Corsair 200R vs Antec 300-2.
    http://techreport.com/review/23965/c...ee-hundred-two

Hadn't checked out reviews for the 200r yet, it looks like a good option. Goes for ~50 as well.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsa...usb-30-w-o-psu

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-107-CA

Activated Node
    Went with the 200R in the end. Will let you know how I get on with it

I put together a PC in the 300R last week. I'm not sure whether it's similar for the 200r, but I had difficulty with the drive bays - They're arranged in such a way that the SATA/power cables make it difficult to get the door back on. I would recommend you use the L-shaped cables for the bays, as it makes it easier.

Activated Node
    Or not, they've decided they're sold out now. Ordered a Sharkook T9 Value in the end. Looks like a half decent budget case. Also got a nice USB3->USB 3 Header adaptor so I won't have the cable routed through the case.

Obscure Node
    I really like my Silverstone Fortress FT02. Cable management etc is pretty straightforward, and it accomodates big graphics cards and large CPU coolers well. It is huge and heavy though. Not terribly convenient for LANs.

The rotated motherboard position and airflow design (3 huge fans) work really well. I just rebuilt my machine and found that the air filters have kept the case almost dust free after a year of use.

There is now an updated model with usb 3.0 ports for the front panel.

The lack of any 3.5 inch front bays may be an inconvenience. I had to get a new card reader to suit a 5.25 bay.
    Last edited by MaxNormal; 06-12-2012 at 03:51 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    300R lightning deal on Amazon USA today later.

I'm running the Coolermaster HAF 912. It's pretty nice.

Activated Node
    Sharkoon arrived yesterday. They've updated it since the reviews I saw as the front panel usb3 is now has a motherboard header rather than a pass through. Plenty of space for components and wire management.

Only issue is the SSD mount on the bottom is a bit loose with the screws it comes with.