Eador: Genesis now on GOG

Eador: Genesis now on GoG and now on offer.

Worth a punt? Anyone played it? Is it primarily single or multiplayer? Any recommended mods/fan patches?
    “People will kill you over time, and how they’ll kill you is with tiny, harmless phrases, like “be realistic”
    Dylan Moran

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I'll give it a go and report back. I believe it is single-player only.

Update: There is a hotseat option that seems to work and LAN and Internet options that don't seem to work.
    Last edited by NathanH; 04-12-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Irrelevant on further examination of the rest of the thread.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Rather like it so far. The strategy map is province-based, you capture provinces to improve your income, most major building and recruiting is done in your stronghold, armies are commander-based like in Dominions or Heroes, I only have one commander so far but I assume I can get more at some point because there is a next hero button, battles are fought in a Heroes style which seems quite good with morale, fatigue, and terrain all relevant. The graphics are not good but the interface is mostly good, although there are no hit projections in combat, so as I'm starting out and don't really know what the numbers mean it's all a bit randomg right now.

If what they said about this game on Greenlight is to be believed, Masters of the Broken World doesn't deviate far from the core gameplay of the original. I might pick it up to see what we're in for.

As far as multiplayer goes, it has LAN and internet options? Maybe they cut them because they weren't working correctly? According to GOG, the original release date was only in 2009, so it's probably not the typical issue they have where the game ran on unsupported protocols like IPX and literally can't be played online without extensive emulation.

All of that being said, if only Remember Tomorrow would be translated and put up on GOG.

Hi guys!

I'm a part of Snowbird Games studio which along with GOG team made this release possible. Thanks a lot for your feedback, it was really captivating to find out foreign players' impressions for the past day :)

We've created a new subforum for Eador. Genesis with some possible solutions to problems running the game and some advice for beginners.

Feel free to join! We're going to need some feedback for possible hot fix as well.

We also finish accepting beta applications for Masters of the Broken World this Friday. So if anyone is interested in playing the new game it's better to hurry :) You can apply for it in this thread.

We'd be really happy to see people from here joining the beta.

Hi guys!

I'm a part of Snowbird Games studio which along with GOG team made this release possible. Thanks a lot for your feedback, it was really captivating to find out foreign players' impressions for the past day :)

We've created a new subforum for Eador. Genesis with some possible solutions to problems running the game and some advice for beginners.

Feel free to join! We're going to need some feedback for possible hot fix as well.

We also finish accepting beta applications for Masters of the Broken World this Friday. So if anyone is interested in playing the new game it's better to hurry :) You can apply for it in this thread.

We'd be really happy to see people from here joining the beta.

Obscure Node
    This is a good game. No real weak point except for the graphics. The interface has some quirk, like having to go to a special menu to know your gold/crystal balance, but its okay overall.

The fights, heroes style, are good, except perhaps for the sieges, who are too simple and don't change much from a regular battle. And its properly hard, but i don't know yet if the IA cheat or not...

Note that i have only 5 or 6 hours of playing time, so its not a definitive opinion, but i have fun and a this price i consider the game already a good money for value ratio.

Activated Node
    I was just asking about HoMM3, Disciples 2, and Age of Wonders. Would this be a good game to start with rather than any of those 3?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by jquinn914 View Post
    I was just asking about HoMM3, Disciples 2, and Age of Wonders. Would this be a good game to start with rather than any of those 3?
    I'd say go for one of those games instead of Eador. Eador is a good game but rather quirky and rather vicious, and so I think it would be better to be familiar with the big guns of the genre before trying it.

Obscure Node
    Yeah, i think NathanH is right. This game is not very forgiving and the difficulty is rather high.

Obscure Node
    Instead of ? Not necessarily. Except for Disciples 2, which is not even a strategy game, strictly speaking. Still, Eador is quite likely the best TBS game of the last 5 years, easily, not like that XCOM travesty.

Activated Node
    Been playing quite a lot recently. I'd like to give an overview of the game. It's a little bit brilliant once you get going.

It begins at a glacial pace, but it adds layer upon layer to the game and doesn't seem to stop. So this could be long.

You own a single stronghold on the map and develop it with various buildings. Each building giving access to other buildings, bonuses and units. Many buildings are mutually exclusive, including unit producing ones. You can hire units/heroes, buy spells/equipment and store items in your treasury at your stronghold. So, that's your base. You'll need a hero.

Heroes come in four classes. Warrior, Commander, Scout, Wizard. Your first hero is cheap, and they become exponentially more expensive. And hiring the same class is even more expensive again. Every hero (and every unit) has their own special abilities and will level up. Each hero also gets a choice of one of four prestige classes as they develop, i.e. a scout gets a choice between four options, a wizard gets a choice between four different options to the scout. They lead your armies, conquer provinces, raid dungeons. So far, mostly what you'd expect (except the dungeons).

The world map is divided into small provinces, with your stronghold sitting in one of them. Movement is generally done from province to any adjacent province. You can only move freely through provinces you own, otherwise you'll need to conquer it through combat or diplomacy. Now, each province varies in population size, race, mood, resources, terrain and dungeons/locations. So try and conquer a Dwarven territory in the hills, and combat will take place against Dwarves on hilly terrain. Conquering provinces brings in tax and sometimes special resources such as iron, horses, marble, etc (a province is clearly marked to tell you).

Managing these provinces is important. You'll want to construct buildings on them to improve the mood (or they may rebel); increase the growth rate, income; or give you access to your stronghold units/spells/treasury to save you trips back. You can also hire various different defenders for your provinces as your heroes can't be everywhere. Neighbouring provinces will raid yours if they're so inclined - barbarians, orcs, bandits, undead like to do that unless you conquer them.

Furthermore! Each province has an explored percentage. Your heroes can be told to explore a province and it'll slowly increase each turn. The population limit of a province is determined by how much of it is explored. Higher population means more tax.

Further futhermore! Each province also contains numerous special locations such as stores, dungeons, arenas, temples... all of which may be visited by your hero to buy new gear or raid for loot and experience (this results in a combat scenario). More locations will be uncovered as your hero explores. There are typically a dozen or more in each province. Successfully raiding these locations may also give bonuses to that province.

And further still! As you own more and more provinces they become subject to random events. Sometimes a local sorceror will curse your province, sometimes a friendly wizard will help them, harpies could steal babies, a firebreather may want to incite rebellion, one could be struck by plague and so on! Events can be handled in different ways with varying consequences, like a very brief choose-your-own-adventure. You can end up with several per turn which, although they're quick to handle, can sometimes be a little tiresome. Clearly there's much to consider with provinces.

Combat is much like HoMM and King's Bounty. Here, your hero is an actual unit on the battlefield to be controlled. The biggest (and best) difference is the terrain. Each hex can be a different type: plains, forest, hills, swamp, mountain/river. Flying creatures move unnaffected over all, but otherwise it will grant different benefits/disadvantages. Plains have no effect, mountains and rivers are impassable. The others slow you down but forests also grant a defensive bonus, hills increase range and counter attack, swamps drain stamina to move through. Exploiting terrain can be vital to success.

All the stats and abilities you'd expect are there. Attack, defense, ranged defense, magic resistance, health, morale. Attack is complemented by the counter attack skill (so a unit can strike hard on your turn, but be weak at striking back - a nice idea). All units also have stamina. Actions such as attacking, using abilities, moving through some terrain often use up stamina. Once stamina is depleted, a unit can't act and needs to rest.

We're not quite done yet!
    A map (called a shard) is a broken piece of the World's mass floating in space (called The Astral). The Astral is another strategic layer above the shard map. You own your own shard, and conquering another shard adds it to yours and gives you power. Progression through the campaign is based on choosing which shard to conquer next (conquering a shard gives access to new buildings for your stronghold on shard maps and other bonuses). Then you're presented with the more familiar world map of that shard. You can buy bonuses using the power you gain to start the map with extra gold, items, buildings. You can even skip a turn and choose not to conquer a shard to build up more power.

But! There are others doing exactly the same thing. Sometimes you'll want the same shard and have to defeat both the local ruler and your competing Master trying to take the shard for themselves. There's even diplomacy options to form alliances with other Masters (who have their own personality) when a few are competing for the same shard.

The pace can be off-putting (but probably necessary) through such a massive game. It's also unforgiving when starting off. There are no saves except the auto-save per turn, so you can't just reload when those random events go unfavourably. But you can buy your way back through time to undo turns at the cost of victory points - ingenious.

Overall, a game for any fan of TBS games. A multi-layered, deep, amalgam of pretty much all of them.

Activated Node
    I posted a pretty lengthy overview of the game to try and encourage people to get into it. Apparently that post is awaiting moderator approval. So, to summarise: Anybody interested in HoMM, King's Bounty, Age of Wonders and so on should try this now.