Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fortnite gameplay

Not sure if anyone has seen this,

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Wasn't this supposed to be UE4? Looks just like every other ue3 game to me.

edit: btw the building looks interesting, not sure if it's all fluff or does something for gameplay or not though.
    Last edited by Finicky; 04-12-2012 at 10:00 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    A little hard to say at 15 fps and taped off a screen, but it seems to look pretty nice, at least to me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    I think Epic have been slightly unfortunate in that people expect UE4 to look amazing (and I'm sure it will) but they're really pushing how much better at making games it is than Unreal 3 so people are unimpressed with this, at least graphically. That said, I'd say it looks nice, despite the poor quality video.

Network Hub
    Looks interesting, even if the construction mechanics seem a bit limited to me, and ultimately inflexible, especially compared to the game it is blatantly deriving it's gameplay from.

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Wasn't this supposed to be UE4? Looks just like every other ue3 game to me.
    Can we please dispel this confused view so many people seem to hold, that somehow a games engine remotely dictates its graphical fidelity. Yes it can help but fundamentally the visuals of a game is down to the art team and in some respects the programmers (shaders etc.)

Not that I mean to single you out Finicky, I just see people constantly correlating game engine to their perceived idea of how games from that engine "should" look.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    It all looks very minecraft to me, which means that the griefing is going to be absolutely horrendous.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    It all looks very minecraft to me, which means that the griefing is going to be absolutely horrendous.
    I could be wrong, but I think I remember that the game is up to 4 players vs npc enemies.

Looks really interesting. The building mechanic is nice and I like how simple it is to make good, interesting structures with that frame system.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    I think Epic have been slightly unfortunate in that people expect UE4 to look amazing (and I'm sure it will) but they're really pushing how much better at making games it is than Unreal 3 so people are unimpressed with this, at least graphically. That said, I'd say it looks nice, despite the poor quality video.
    This was the first Unreal Engine 3 game by the way.

I like how the walls look like they're made out of jelly when you hit them.

Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    Looks interesting, even if the construction mechanics seem a bit limited to me, and ultimately inflexible, especially compared to the game it is blatantly deriving it's gameplay from.

Can we please dispel this confused view so many people seem to hold, that somehow a games engine remotely dictates its graphical fidelity. Yes it can help but fundamentally the visuals of a game is down to the art team and in some respects the programmers (shaders etc.)

Not that I mean to single you out Finicky, I just see people constantly correlating game engine to their perceived idea of how games from that engine "should" look.
    A lot of gamers don't seem to have a clue about how game development works.

An engine doesn't magically just give you fancy graphics, you have to utilize it's tools in order to achieve it. I was face palming really hard when people were saying they were disappointed in UE4 and that luminous engine was better. They only believed Luminous was a better engine just because it had a more flashy tech demo. Some even said Samaritan looked better than Elemental tech demo, and called UE4, a slightly updated UE3.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think I remember that the game is up to 4 players vs npc enemies.

Looks really interesting. The building mechanic is nice and I like how simple it is to make good, interesting structures with that frame system.
    Minecraft doesn't have a competitive element either, hence the griefers. Looks to me like the tools to build a castle are going to be a lot more interesting than the ones used to kill monsters, again, just like Minecraft.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Minecraft doesn't have a competitive element either, hence the griefers. Looks to me like the tools to build a castle are going to be a lot more interesting than the ones used to kill monsters, again, just like Minecraft.
    What I meant was I don't think there's going to be public servers. I could be wrong. Minecrafts biggest source of griefers comes from people playing on public servers and someone coming along and wrecking everything. I believe the only players on the server will be the people in your party, which will most likely be you and three friends.

Can we please dispel this confused view so many people seem to hold, that somehow a games engine remotely dictates its graphical fidelity.
    But it does. Unless you're wiling to argue that each iteration of Source does not increase the graphical fidelity cap of it's games. Yes, you need better assets to make use of the new engine functionality, but you need the functionality in the first place to use better assets.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    But it does. Unless you're wiling to argue that each iteration of Source does not increase the graphical fidelity cap of it's games. Yes, you need better assets to make use of the new engine functionality, but you need the functionality in the first place to use better assets.
    Yes it may set the upper limit on pure graphical fidelity, but it doesn't dictate anything beyond that. So often when an engine is mentioned whether it is Frostbite 2, CryEngine 3, UE4, people suddenly start implying that [Insert Game Title Here] must have amazing graphics, or must look a certain way. As Finicky said "Looks just like every other ue3 game to me" which is complete nonsense.

And really, modern rendering techniques in video games have not changed, we are just able to push more polygons etc due to better hardware, you are not going to see the drastic improvements in real-time rendering that have occurred over the past 10+ years. Any tangible graphical difference going forward are smaller and smaller, the real improvements are going to occur in areas such as physics etc.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I don't think it's the engine that makes the game look dated, it's the textures. This could be Cry Engine 10 and it wouldn't look much "better" or more advanced if they don't use textures. That said, I like the style and look of the game, but it has yet to appeal to me mechanically.

Banned
    If we're talking about UE4 it looks terrible.

Bad motion blurring and temporal artefacts.

Low resolution.

Juddering.

Muddy colours that prove Epic can't reproduce colours that are not brown.

The game looks interesting though.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Yes it may set the upper limit on pure graphical fidelity, but it doesn't dictate anything beyond that. So often when an engine is mentioned whether it is Frostbite 2, CryEngine 3, UE4, people suddenly start implying that [Insert Game Title Here] must have amazing graphics, or must look a certain way. As Finicky said "Looks just like every other ue3 game to me" which is complete nonsense.

And really, modern rendering techniques in video games have not changed, we are just able to push more polygons etc due to better hardware, you are not going to see the drastic improvements in real-time rendering that have occurred over the past 10+ years. Any tangible graphical difference going forward are smaller and smaller, the real improvements are going to occur in areas such as physics etc.
    Actually I meant it has that typical UE3 look to it.

Was hoping that other than the lighting changing the typical UE look would change as well...

And yes, engines have a 'look', source games are easily identifyable (cs or portal or vindictus or tf2 , you can tell easily) and ue3 games are too.
    You can generally instantly tell when a game uses a proprietary engine because it doesn't share the issues/graphical quirks of the other engines.

This has nothing to do with 'graphical fidelity', just that every ue3 game has the same look to it, regardless of how good or bad the graphics are.
    From alice, tera, dungeon defenders, gears of war, bulletstorm, APB, batman, borderlands2 etc to dishonored or hell even hawken which looks quite brilliant.
    Every single one had different artists working on it, they are all varied in scope and artstyle, but you can instantly tell they use UE3. I doubt ALL of them used the default shaders and settings provided in UDK...

Just got sick and tired of ue3 look years ago, was hoping the new engine would completely change it.
    It's hard to tell from the low quality video but it has that overly familiar UE3 feel to it for me.

These days it's a relief when a game uses an engine of its own, to actually get some variety.
    Blands2 vs tera vs dungeon defenders vs APB = not variety, they all look the fucking same.
    Last edited by Finicky; 05-12-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    From alice, tera, dungeon defenders, gears of war, bulletstorm, APB, batman, borderlands2 etc to dishonored or hell even hawken which looks quite brilliant.
    Every single one had different artists working on it, they are all varied in scope and artstyle, but you can instantly tell they use UE3.
    That's because they all had that annoying texture pop in the second you loaded a game.

Hope UE4 at least fixes that.

Edit: Actually watched the video now and I'm more impressed then I was expecting. I was originally assuming that you would only be able to construct pre-determined structures, but this looks a hell of a lot more open then that. Will have to keep an eye on this now.
    Last edited by Vandelay; 05-12-2012 at 09:48 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    But the game is a shooter at its core. Will the zombies interact with structures properly ? I can imagine all sorts of crazy designs that zombies can't handle, unless they can destroy walls in a few hits.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    You can't tell Mirror's Edge is UE3.
    Or Star Wars 1313...