XenoRaptor - a top down indie shooter in which one fights rocket propelled chainsaws.

I've been working on this for a while and feel like it's time to start one of those preorder betas like minecraft and mount&blade. The game currently only has a tutorial and a couple of maps for survival mode - I want to start the beta off with just a combat system to make sure that the basic game mechanics work by themselves.

Coop multiplayer is next on my to do list, and in the long run I'll be adding a single player campaign and some team based adversarial multiplayer modes. Whether the campaign is a branching series of missions or a sandbox is still up in the air, I'm open to doing either. There will also be some kind of character progression in it eventually, but that will be done near the end; it's much easier to balance weapons when everyone has access to everything. Also, I want XenoRaptor to be good enough that people will play it for fun rather than for an extra barrel on their gatling gun.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions you have, plus if you like it there's currently a sale price of $2.00. I recently learned php to make the payment system, so if there's any problems with getting your key or your key not working, let me know and I'll send you one manually.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Played it a bit on Kong. Very impressive, and deserves a lot more attention than it's got on there.
    Not sure its a game for me to buy though, as not necessarily the kind of thing I will sink hours in to.

The first version on kongregate had a brick wall learning curve and more sluggish ship handling, I'd say that hurt the ratings and thus amount it showed up on the new games list quite a bit. Would you say it'd be worth relaunching there as well, or just alert the hivemind and see how it goes?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ColOfNature's Avatar
    Angry space bears, for 2 ozbucks? Well I'm sold.
    ...common and uninteresting.
    | Steam | Desura | Twitter |

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    My thinking would be that if you've got a browser-embeddable game that you want to market, throwing it up on the big portals that support that can't do you any harm, as long as you make it clear that there is a full version they can buy from you somewhere in the game. You'll get a bunch of angry comments about that, mind but those aren't really the people you're reaching out to anyway. Only do this when you have a version you are happy with for people to see and judge your game by though, and keep it up to date with regards to bug fixes and the like.

Oh, and totally let the Hivemind go - while not staggeringly original, I'd say Xenoraptor's got a lot more polish already than a lot of the games they link to.

Oh what the hell, for $2AUD you can have my money (got my CD key straight away, thanks!) and I'll give you some more feedback.

Don't forget to check out KG's guide to indie marketing too.
    Last edited by CMaster; 12-07-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Good point about the angry comments being mostly from people who wouldn't buy anyway - I'd been worried about that causing bad publicity, but I guess at this stage thats a whole lot better than none at all. I'll leave the $2.00 special up for the forum for the rest of the week before asking for an RPS frontpage post, though. Partly as a thankyou for the help I got when I posted an earlier beta of it here, and also because I want to be sure the php script for sending the keys is completely solid before I do much selling.

As for the originality, you're quite right. I wanted to make sure I could actually release a game before I started on any of the more unusual game ideas in my head.

By KGs guide do you mean the 'how to use the gaming press' one or did he do more? Either way, thanks for the suggestion.

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Also Cliffski, the man behnd Positech games dishes out alot of advice. Like how a cheaper game mightnt make you more money, and other things. He makes some good games, Id look him up.

As for the game, looks interesting. Anything with bears gets my vote.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quite excellent =) I don't like shmups at all, normally, but this one help my attention for a good 20 minutes thus far (which is about 10 times longer than normal). I believe that's mostly because of the vast array of ship customizations...naturally I quickly looked for the strangest and least promising weapons (I think I had a loadout of teleportation, warpthrower, some type of chargeable laser, and a flak cannon for when I realized that I actually wanted to kill things). It controls really nicely too.

I'm not very much the target audience, having very indifferent feelings about Outer Space and about this genre. But my feelings about Things Done Well are hardly indifferent, and this was pretty slick. =) The campaign interests me! Do you have any notion of how story-ish it will be? (I always imagine shmup campaigns being like, a paragraph of text asking "do you want to fight in this asteroid field or that one?" ... but I am sure you can do something more thrilling =).

Also, this is sometimes what your main page looks like (if I refresh it's fixed :). http://gyazo.com/dc95b567af6eb99c4faeed12b3d7d301.png

Edit: what wave do the space bears appear on? I haven't seen them.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Berzee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berzee View Post
    Edit: what wave do the space bears appear on? I haven't seen them.
    Hahaha, I see them now. Well, I don't *see* them -- but I see that they are a weapon and not an enemy.

@Peter: Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look. $2.00 is a special just for the RPS forum, I'm not planning on keeping that going for long.

@Berzee: The story will be a pretty tongue in cheek affair. An army of rocket propelled chainsaws has invaded the galaxy, and the only thing that can stop them is an ancient alien warmachine (you) awoken by a mad scientist tinkering with things he didn't understand. Robot Cthulu saves the galaxy, essentially. Mechanically, I'm hoping to do a sandbox campaign where you fly around to different sectors, gathering allies and equipment while various sectors fall to the aliens the longer you take. If you spend long enough doing side missions, the aliens will actually destroy earth. However, this won't be a game over. You will just spend the rest of the game trying to avenge it rather than save it.

Update is done, now your ship designs are also stored on the server so you can use them on any PC (kind of like steamcloud). Also fixed a bug with reporting which wave you got up to and added a border graphic to the edge of the map. Also, I put the current version on kongregate in case you prefer playing there.

A scoreboard is on the website now, I'd be interested to see how varied peoples scores are. If everyone is getting stuck at the same wave, for example, then that wave probably needs to be toned town a bit.

Also, does the idea of a sandbox galaxy to fly around in doing quests with an invading antagonist who actually takes over planets if you ignore them sound good? Thats what I've currently got in my head as far as the campaign is concerned, I'd be interested in hearing what the RPS forum thinks of it.