Wasteland 2 crowdsourcing some art assets

InXile invites all artists around the world to submit paid and credited art assets for Wasteland 2 via the Unity Store.
    Here is the call.
    http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/unity

And here the (rather concise) style guide (PDF).

This is getting more and more interesting. Maybe we see the beginning of a new type of game - a curated game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    To me that's the definition of crowd sourcing.
    KS is crowd funding, but not crowd sourcing unless the crowd is helping create.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Why can't they make their own art,thats just cheap.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    They're paying people if they use their art, they're not looking for free work. It's also giving fans and people interested in working in the medium a chance to add to an actual game, one that is going to have a rich enough story in the real world, to add to their credentials.

Quote Originally Posted by Revisor View Post
    InXile invites all artists around the world to submit paid and credited art assets for Wasteland 2 via the

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    Thats all folks,my superior reading skills.. But i have excuse,two weeks in a row i work from 5.00 to 15.00 so i'm totally off lately lol

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by DaftPunk View Post
    No it's not. This is a PR thing, giving dedicated fans the opportunity to create something for a game they are passionate about.

I doubt that this will be cheaper than creating these assets in house or outsourcing them. Come to think of it, these assets would probably be made by an outsourced art studio anyway, giving that they're all pretty generic environment art.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    It seems like a good idea in the short run, but I think it's very possible that it could create a series of small disconnects as artstyle subtly changes, which could be a greater problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    It seems like a good idea in the short run, but I think it's very possible that it could create a series of small disconnects as artstyle subtly changes, which could be a greater problem.
    inXile still have the right to pick and choose from it all though. Not everyone will have their art accepted to the game, particularly those that don't gel well together.

Network Hub
    It definitely beats those "contests" where users submit content, one person wins a pittance, and the contest creators get exclusive rights on all submitted content indefinitely.

I'm still not really a fan of the idea, though. It's asking artists to do a commissioned work, and then only paying for the ones you really like. I would be more on board if they had artists to submit their portfolios, and hired them to develop the work based on the style guide.

I don't really like the idea.

They're basically asking any number of people to submit their work and then picking one of those works, paying a bit for that and discarding the rest. That's a lot of peoples work going to waste instead of hiring your own damn designers and doing the job yourselves.

They're basically asking people to work for free.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Duck View Post
    I don't really like the idea.

They're basically asking any number of people to submit their work and then picking one of those works, paying a bit for that and discarding the rest. That's a lot of peoples work going to waste instead of hiring your own damn designers and doing the job yourselves.

They're basically asking people to work for free.
    To be fair, it's going in the unity store, so just because they don't buy it doesn't mean that it won't be bought.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    To be fair, it's going in the unity store, so just because they don't buy it doesn't mean that it won't be bought.
    Are you so sure? Say fifty people make a shack based on the concept art provided. I doubt there is demand for 50 roughly identical post apocalyptic shacks.
    Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory since 1982.

Network Hub
    Thing is, its best done when the concept artist work closely with the 3d modeler so they could both alter the models to fit the game style and artists vision because 3d models, even those perfectly going by the concept art, tend to have a different "vibe" from different angles.