Secondary Hivemind Nexus jaguar skills's Avatar

New video - Silly Monday / Survivalism

Cross post from the Silly Mondays thread, here's my account of what went down.

WARNING - 30 FUCKIN' MINUTES LONG

Highly optimistic reddit link also - http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c...days_survival/
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanye West
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Was just gonna skim through it, ended up watching it all.
    Ya did a nice job, jag.
    Loved the ensemble work too (whoever you all were.)

Sequel?

- No Huds Monday, what a great idea.
    "Bring me my purse."

please visit
    the Game Orphanage

Finding Good Homes For Unwanted Games Since January, 2014

Loved the high drama ending.

Also, we suck at organising and reaching a consensus! Looked like good fun though
    Statistical reasons not to follow me into battle on PS2 here: Stoopiduk

Friendly on Steam, Twitter and Twitch. Origin: Stoopiduk Battlenet tag: stoopiduk#2888

Lesser Hivemind Node BasicPauly's Avatar
    I dunno if you did film any of the second one, but a sequel would totally work. I enjoyed it
    Steam: basicpaul | Origin: BasicPaul

Network Hub
    I always miss the coolest damn Silly Mondays. I hope to be present during the inevitable rerun of this event.

I personally think every day should be a silly day.

This was (imo) so much more fun than playing the base game :P....

It really gave me that alone in a big open world survival feeling that I like about other survival games. You get so used to feeling like an invulnerable/dispensable soldier that it all becomes a bit samey.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus EsotericReverie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    I personally think every day should be a silly day.
    Good thing you don't get to decide.

No, but seriously, silly Mondays are fun, but so is serious-face-tactical play when it works.

This particular idea was stunningly good, though. Perfect for the continent. Wouldn't really have worked anywhere else, I think. Possibly Amerish, but even there, I think draw distance is too long to allow for getting lot like you can on Hossin.
    Steam: EsotericReverie | Origin: EsotericReverie | Planetside 2: EsotericReverie | Battle.net: Esoteric#2168

Quote Originally Posted by BasicPauly View Post
    I dunno if you did film any of the second one, but a sequel would totally work. I enjoyed it
    Ironically I bailed a little way into the second one as I had a moment of clarity of "what the fuck am I doing, I just recorded half an hour of unwatchable shit"

It was only watching it back that I realised how wrong I was. See, while recording I'm trying to keep everyone in focus whilst getting an idea of some sort of narrative in my head. That on its own takes a bit of concentration, but when it took so long to organise people and TKing was going on to the symphony of people just making noises to amuse themselves, the experience began to drag for me.

However, now that I know that half the fun was the conflict between personalities and whatnot, I'm actually looking forward to doing it again. I have a few ideas to make it a more palatable watch if anyone would like to help out with recording duties;

- Have another person just recording the big map showing where people are supposed to be going compared to where they are. We sync up our recordings and I can have it pop up as an overlay from time to time complete with paths taken and distance from target etc
    - I noticed a few other people said they were recording. Next time I'd quite like to synchronise everyones footage and cut to certain people at certain points. Inevitably the cinematic cam misses key events at times such as aerial vehicles and spotted infantry
    - The troll doing the friendly fire near the start presented its own idea. In the vein of the Zeus mode from ARMA3, it could be fun to have one or two antagonists who are in on the event roleplaying as NC or TR. Not to actually kill anyone but just to shit them up a bit from time to time if things get a little dull. Maybe they could even nudge them in the correct direction.

I dunno, just spit-balling. Let me know what you think.
    I think what Kanye West is going to mean is something similar to what Steve Jobs means. I am undoubtedly, you know, Steve of Internet, downtown, fashion, culture. Period.
    I am God's vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus LaKroy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    In the vein of the Zeus mode from ARMA3, it could be fun to have one or two antagonists who are in on the event roleplaying as NC or TR. Not to actually kill anyone but just to shit them up a bit from time to time if things get a little dull. Maybe they could even nudge them in the correct direction.
    CMaster was harassing Charlie/Delta as a TR infiltrator in round 2, so there are probably people who are game.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by LaKroy View Post
    CMaster was harassing Charlie/Delta as a TR infiltrator in round 2, so there are probably people who are game.
    I'm sure you could find some willing NC to... search for, pursue, and stalk the Giraffe survivors

Quote Originally Posted by EsotericReverie View Post
    Good thing you don't get to decide.

No, but seriously, silly Mondays are fun, but so is serious-face-tactical play when it works.

This particular idea was stunningly good, though. Perfect for the continent. Wouldn't really have worked anywhere else, I think. Possibly Amerish, but even there, I think draw distance is too long to allow for getting lot like you can on Hossin.
    Mutiny? Thats it guys, silly monday, every day.

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar skills View Post
    Ironically I bailed a little way into the second one as I had a moment of clarity of "what the fuck am I doing, I just recorded half an hour of unwatchable shit"

It was only watching it back that I realised how wrong I was. See, while recording I'm trying to keep everyone in focus whilst getting an idea of some sort of narrative in my head. That on its own takes a bit of concentration, but when it took so long to organise people and TKing was going on to the symphony of people just making noises to amuse themselves, the experience began to drag for me.

However, now that I know that half the fun was the conflict between personalities and whatnot, I'm actually looking forward to doing it again. I have a few ideas to make it a more palatable watch if anyone would like to help out with recording duties;

- Have another person just recording the big map showing where people are supposed to be going compared to where they are. We sync up our recordings and I can have it pop up as an overlay from time to time complete with paths taken and distance from target etc
    - I noticed a few other people said they were recording. Next time I'd quite like to synchronise everyones footage and cut to certain people at certain points. Inevitably the cinematic cam misses key events at times such as aerial vehicles and spotted infantry
    - The troll doing the friendly fire near the start presented its own idea. In the vein of the Zeus mode from ARMA3, it could be fun to have one or two antagonists who are in on the event roleplaying as NC or TR. Not to actually kill anyone but just to shit them up a bit from time to time if things get a little dull. Maybe they could even nudge them in the correct direction.

I dunno, just spit-balling. Let me know what you think.
    Like these ideas. Bonus points if you kidnap/blackmail someone to do 3D reconstruction shenanigans, much like those in Goldvision's SavePoints videos.

Network Hub
    The troll? What troll? I don't remember any troll! Just a lone, handsome medic trying to keep SirWiggly from C4:ing us all to kingdom come.

With a slightly buggy gun that keeps shooting people in the face.

Not a troll, no.
    Disclaimer:
    Sometimes I get a bit manic and then I talk too much and wall-of-text a lot.
    This rarely lasts for more than a week or so at a time. Feel free to ignore any and all walls of text at your leisure.

Sega Rally Championship!
    Planetside 2 - NickTheNegligent // Steam - Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    The troll? What troll? I don't remember any troll! Just a lone, handsome medic trying to keep SirWiggly from C4:ing us all to kingdom come.

With a slightly buggy gun that keeps shooting people in the face.

Not a troll, no.
    Oh no, I realise that shooting SirWiggly is an essential service, I meant whoever was on the landing pad of the biolab taking potshots shortly after that.

Quote Originally Posted by NickWhite View Post
    Sega Rally Championship!
    I fully intend to use AM2/AM3's entire back catalogue for Planetside videos. I already did Daytona back in the day;