Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

RPS Wurm Online Village

Hey,

So with the news today that Wurm is releasing I was thinking about giving it a play when the new server comes online. I also thought "What better way to enjoy this moment in Wurm history than with some RPS chums".

So I made this thread to see if anyone here might be interested in getting together to form a little RPS Village on the new server. I don't have any experience leading a village in the game so hopefully there's someone here so can do that :)

Is the new server going to be a PvP one?

Is there a subscription fee for it? I know there's some kind of weird subs in Wurm but I never really wrapped my head around it

I've not had chance to check out the website yet but the RPS post said it's a new free server aimed at all the new players they want to attract to Wurm. So no PvP but also no subscription :)

Hmm... generally speaking if you say "Sandbox" I say "How High?"

We'll see.

The new server is going to be a "freedom" server, wich means no PvP. The new server is also going to be independent from the existing servers, so everyone will be starting completly fresh and veterans won't be able to transfer their characters to it.

I played Wurm Online for about 2-3 Months the last time they started a new server.
    It was an amazing experience, gathering other new players and then starting the dangerous journey to find a nice place to call home. We fought bears and wolves while dragging our cart towards the coast and once we found a nice spot we settled down, build houses, mines and farms and terraformed the land.
    It really were fun times...

Edit:
    You can play on the freedom servers for free, forever, but your character skill level
    is capped at 20 out of a 100.
    Premium time cost 5€ a month and removes all restrictions.
    http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Premium
    Last edited by Avaa; 05-12-2012 at 08:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaa View Post
    The new server is going to be a "freedom" server, wich means no PvP. The new server is also going to be independent from the existing servers, so everyone will be starting completly fresh and veterans won't be able to transfer their characters to it.

I played Wurm Online for about 2-3 Months the last time they started a new server.
    It was an amazing experience, gathering other new players and then starting the dangerous journey to find a nice place to call home. We fought bears and wolves while dragging our cart towards the coast and once we found a nice spot we settled down, build houses, mines and farms and terraformed the land.
    It really were fun times...
    And it could happen again... ;)

What kind of timezones are we looking at here?

European probably, but as long has we have a fair few people with us there should always be people online :)

I'm sort of interested, and I did play Wurm before on a free server (though not that often). However, I'm not sure if I can log in often enough to stop my things from decaying (and in the game ;). Is the decay-rate still as harsh as it was 1,5 year/2 years ago? Or are other people able to repair things of me and vice versa? For the last time I logged in, my house was completely gone, which made me leave immediately, since it took me ages to build.
    Mijn Uitlaatklep - My (Dutch) blog about games, music and more

Looking at the wiki, if you put enough "upkeep" into a village, things in it are completely halted from decay, or significantly slowed for lesser amounts

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I'd be interested, possibly, I've only really done the tutorial and wandered aimlessly through a disorganised, ugly-as-hell ... I guess it might have been a village. But if I don't get sick of it, I'd like to see some people around.

Not sure about the lack of PvP, though. I don't want to focus on that, indeed I'd rather be peaceful, but if there's no risk from other humans, I don't really see the point. I've already played minecraft.

The decay amount (without paying upkeep) is nothing if you're even half active. You'd maybe have to do a tiny bit of repairs once every couple of weeks at the most.

@sinister agent - As for risk, the wildlife presents plenty of it. A bear is a bear and it'll maul you to death if you don't get away from it in time. There's plenty of danger on a free server without PvP :)

I might be interested to join in on this. I always read stuff about Wurm Online and always meant to check it out some time, but somehow I never did. So maybe now is the time to actually do it.

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Obscure Node
    I remember trying to play this game some years ago but quickly lost interest without other people to play with, there was also a lot of staring at bars. I would like to give it another try with a nice group.

What would people's names be on the server?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    My name on there is Mushroom, but I'm currently on one of the PvP-enabled servers (Serenity, I think). However, you can run on multiple servers with the same username, you just have to start over. I think, anyway, based on skim reading.

I've been pottering about alone so far, but have said a quick hello to passers by, and the first person I met went out of their way to help me out, without even being asked. I also seem to have set up camp near an organised group, since a large boat under construction appeared when I was busy making tools for a day. I've yet to meet anyone hostile or even unpleasant. It's surprisingly pleasant, too. Oh, and goddamn, the fog is scarily easy to get lost in at night. I like it.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 08-12-2012 at 01:02 AM.

Yeah, everyone I've ever met in the game has just been so very helpful :)

I played this a few years ago, it intrigued me then although I achieved little more than getting lost but that in itself was a lot of fun, stumbling across little encampments and groups of people in the middle of nowhere!

Played through tutorial this morning, it's a very different looking game to that I remember and a lot more welcoming, so I think I'll be sticking around for a while. Name in game is Zapt, but I'm holding at the tutorial end until the new server is out.
    Last edited by Zapt; 08-12-2012 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zapt View Post
    I played this a few years ago, it intrigued me then although I achieved little more than getting lost but that in itself was a lot of fun, stumbling across little encampments and groups of people in the middle of nowhere!

Played through tutorial this morning, it's a very different looking game to that I remember and a lot more welcoming, so I think I'll be sticking around for a while. Name in game is Zapt.
    You might want to wait and start a new character on the new server on the 12th, it'll be a lot better settling on a completely fresh land :D

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    You might want to wait and start a new character on the new server on the 12th, it'll be a lot better settling on a completely fresh land :D
    Yeh I realised that once I got to the end of the tutorial (edited my original post to that effect).
    At the place where you choose your server it says '...or wait here for the new soon to be released server', which made me realise that it's probably best to do just that as I only restarted the game with the intention of playing on the new freedom server. As I understand it I won't be able to join an existing freedom server and transfer to the new one.

Looking forward to it!

We should talk about what kind of place we want to settle in :)