Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    If possible, I would personally find it awesome if we had an RPS mountain village.
    Secluded from everyone else, not letting in any outsiders. :D

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Quote Originally Posted by Comrade Commissar View Post
    If possible, I would personally find it awesome if we had an RPS mountain village.
    Secluded from everyone else, not letting in any outsiders. :D
    As fantastic as that would be it will be very hard to start somewhere like that since it'd be away from a source of water and not easy to go out hunting. I think that we should settle somewhere on the coast, that way we'll be close to water for fishing and drinking and also it will be easier to find should we get lost :)

That's probably the more reasonable approach.
    But one day, mark my words, the RPSites will wander inland and climb the mountains to conquer them and proclaim a new kingdom.

(But yeah, coast sounds fine, maybe see if we can find a river delta for eventual expeditions inland and boating?)

The unofficial RPS Rising Storm group!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I recommend a halfway point: Cliffside on/close to the coast. Nice views to lord it over the peasants, like.

My IGN is the same as my forum name, Avaa.
    What we also should consider when deciding on a place is the avaibility of natural ressources like clay, peat or tar, since, if i recall right, you need atleast lots and lots of clay for building some stone houses later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Avaa View Post
    My IGN is the same as my forum name, Avaa.
    What we also should consider when deciding on a place is the avaibility of natural ressources like clay, peat or tar, since, if i recall right, you need atleast lots and lots of clay for building some stone houses later on.
    That'll be something for later on, we might want to start one settlement to begin with as a starting village for us to stay at while we train our skills, and then move on when we are higher levels.

Stone houses are ugly. Villages are much prettier than towns in Wurm.

Although low stone walls look quite nice when they're knackered and covered in moss. I wish the game discouraged gaming its systems. There's potential for a great exploring/survival/whatever experience in there, but everyone you meet would rather be handed great equipment and leave a monster lair right outside their house so they can grind for xp. It's a bit of a waste.

Everyone I've met has been lovely, however. By far the most pleasant and helpful community of any online game I've seen. Indeed, I've had to actively avoid people to stop them from handing me high-quality gear for free and ruining half my fun.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    This sounds incredibly interesting, but I don't know if I have the time to play it. Does it require a lot of investment to enjoy?

It depends what you enjoy. It takes a long time to get your skills up, which means you can't produce quality tools or goods (although this doesn't seem to matter much with some things). But you can be useful for digging or cutting wood or most errands people might need, and you can contribute some to group work.

I've been having a nice time trying to be self-sufficient (although I've stayed with a friend I made early on after a lion attacked, in return cooking some meals and helping to dig a garden. I've also just been invited to join a tiny village nearby), and am hoping to spend my time as a wandering tinker, foraging and making the little bits and pieces to trade with whoever I meet. The game seems to allow that, although you're much better off with people to support you , as there are some really nasty things in the woods, and you start off pretty hopeless in a fight.

You can also play to win, as far as I can tell, by concentrating on combat skills and running off with people to cause trouble, but I don't know anything about that.

Either way, it is a bit of a time sink, I fear. If you enjoy the self-sufficiency thing, you'll probably start enjoying it sooner than if you want to go out stabbing things as soon as possible.

Network Hub
    I'd like in on this thing too. I started to play but couldn't find anywhere to start building a house cause I started in a very developed region. Also it was a kind of a ghost town in there. After I left the tutorial I didn't meet a single living soul.
    Later I tried to kill an Old Pig which turned out to be pretty lively and managed to bite me to death.

I'm really looking forward to the new server being a fresh land with no previous development :D

And yeah Pirate, the older animals get the stronger they are, plus pigs like to go down fighting

Network Hub
    Wow, the 'release date' is tomorrow ! I almost forgot. Let me know where to go to join you guys.
    Btw, are any of you going to be on mumble ? I despise typing while gaming. It takes 10x longer to say anything.

But it's still better than having the atmosphere of every game ruined by squalling tweens, yelling [insert nationality]s, or bored-sounding nerds.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    But it's still better than having the atmosphere of every game ruined by squalling tweens, yelling [insert nationality]s, or bored-sounding nerds.
    Yeah, I much prefer the local channel for Wurm

And as for meeting place it'll be very hard to discern right now. Best if we just make characters and then add eachother as friends

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    I didn't say there should be built-in voice chat everywhere (god forbid in an MMO). I meant in a situation like ours. We'll be trying to coordinate and that's when talking is better than typing. Saves lot of time, and you get to talk about random shit in the process :)

To add someone as a friend you need to rightclick their character, same thing to "team up", there is no chatcommand or anything so we will possibly spend quite a bit of time trying to find each other.

The best thing is probably to watch the local chat for each others IGN's and then meet up at the village token of the starter town.

Atleast with the new Update everyone doesn't look the same anymore...
    Last edited by Avaa; 11-12-2012 at 04:34 AM.

Ah yeah, forgot about that :/ Any ideas how we're going to do this then?

Network Hub
    Wow, this takes me back...last time I played Wurm was at least a year and a half ago. I just ran through the tutorial again (character name Xkot), and I'd love to join an RPS village on the new server when it launches. I realize that I'm several timezones removed from everyone else, but I figure I can tend the fires while y'all sleep.

Does every new player appear in the same place? I think we'd be best setting a time and all convening in Mumble and Wurm to manage our rendezvous

7:30 GMT is the classical RPS activity schedule

Damn, I'd really love to give this a try, but alas I just don't think I'd have enough time to put into it consistantly. Still, I do love Minecraft so I might be able to find some time for this.