Thread: Hawken?

Activated Node

Hawken?

Has anyone of you tried the open beta of Hawken? I did and I found it to be not the fun I expected it to be. However, I'm unsure whether I should put more time into it, as I really love the visual aspects of the game. Maybe the gameplay'll start to grow on me over time? Tell me about your experience with the game.
    Last edited by Dekkard; 16-12-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Obscure Node
    I just played for maybe an hour? I had to actually turn down all the prettiness to keep it going at a decent FPS, and my computer ain't that shabby, so the style wasn't what did it for me (although the mechs themselves seem great). There is a lot about the mechanics I just don't get, like effective range of weapons, and what the items are and how they work. They definitely need a better tutorial to walk you through all of the elements. And I have a hard time getting a sense of how effective I am being (like, am I really damaging that mech, or mostly missing?).

All that said, I had fun. I liked trying to figure out the different strategies to be useful for the different mechs (scout vs. the default one). The fighting is hectic but, for the most part, I can keep track of whats going on. I played team deathmatch, and there was some fun tactics and dynamics available to exploit/get destroyed by.

Anyways, I haven't played a lot of first-person shooter multiplayer games in a while, but I was digging this one, and will probably play it some more tomorrow. If there is gonna be an RPS group going, I'd be happy to join up; my name there is also dmbelenk.

It feels too simplified. I realize all of the investors that they have to please by making the game accessible, but it feels like making the entire thing class based is one step too far.

In Tribes it was always about picking a body size and then building around that, until it went f2p when they went with a class system to maximize earnings. I feel like the same thing is happening here: I'd much prefer three different chassis options that we then buy parts to build the mechs with.

All that being said, it's still kind of fun. It's not Mechwarrior 4, but nothing ever will be.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus coldvvvave's Avatar
    I played for a few hours. It wasn't bad but wasn't great either. It feels like some people described BF3( very untrue but whatever), "grind for hours to unlock anything decent". I was massacred by highlevels and only killed my fellow newbies. Not a very pleasent experience. Maps and UI are the worst parts, grey pointless mazes and clutter overlay, can't see shit mechcommander. I'll play single pleyer if they ever deliver it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    You are an enemy of gaming.

Banned
    I've seen some gameplay footage and it looked like havies dueling in Tribes: Ascend. That is, bad.

I loved this game since the Alpha earlier this year, and it's still amazing. I personally dislike the fact that it's f2p because it means that you need to play inferior mech builds before you grind your way to the gear you actually want. With that said I think that it's the most exciting online FPS since TF2 and UT2004 before that.

If you expect a Mechwarrior-like "sim" then this is not the game for you. It's a mech game for sure, the movement is stompy and has weight, you have to manage fuel and heat but it's also way more fast paced (and much less boring IMO) than Mechwarrior. Also, Hawken looks and more importantly FEELS fucking brilliant.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    I loved this game since the Alpha earlier this year, and it's still amazing. I personally dislike the fact that it's f2p because it means that you need to play inferior mech builds before you grind your way to the gear you actually want. With that said I think that it's the most exciting online FPS since TF2 and UT2004 before that.
    Just how expensive does it work out to unlock everything? I can't stand the idea of the grind, but if you were to drop a 'retail' price of 20-30 on unlocks, would that get you the full game? Or are we in the standard F2P territory where unlocking what'd I'd consider the full game is 100+?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    There is a lot of depth there in the energy managment once you learn how to play , you can outplay the hell out of people and get monsterscores once you get the hang of it.

Activated Node
    The grinding is a big downer. But that's true for pretty much every F2P game. I just wonder how they want to keep the game fun for new players over the coming months, if everybody else has a high-end mech. It might turn into one big n00b blood... um, metal bath.

My main concern is that it is neither a true FPS game, nor a mech sim. So, it might be a disappointment for fans of both genres. I'm playing a lot of fast paced FPS games, so to me, the damped movement is something I cannot really adopt to. But for the mech fans, it might play way too fast, so they're complaining too.

Don't know... maybe they found an interesting niche. But fans of both genres will need time to get into it IMO. And the grinding doesn't really help the experience and overall might make me turn away from it, because I could feel forced to sink money into it BEFORE it starts to be fun. And that's something I usually don't do...
    Last edited by Dekkard; 16-12-2012 at 03:05 PM.

I used to play a ton for UT (original, 03 and 04) then later a ton of TF2 and Hawken was a perfect fit for me from the get go. I found it really intuitive even though it had features like dash and the jetpack that those games didn't. So i don't know, I think it shouldn't be hard for people to wrap their heads around the controls if they are familiar with the classic online FPS games, however the modern military shooter fans (BF3 and CoD) might find it an odd fit at 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangyTang View Post
    Just how expensive does it work out to unlock everything? I can't stand the idea of the grind, but if you were to drop a 'retail' price of 20-30 on unlocks, would that get you the full game? Or are we in the standard F2P territory where unlocking what'd I'd consider the full game is 100+?
    It has an XP system that goes up to lvl 25 i believe, each lvl you unlock a new upgrade. You only earn XP by actually playing the game and the first 10 lvls go by pretty fast, depending on how good you're doing. However you can buy XP boosts for cash that should make the leveling even faster.

Once you get the appropriate LVL for a defensive module or whatever you can spend "hawken points" (earned by playing) or "meteor points" (you buy these with real moneyz) to buy the module. Everything can be bought with the earned in game currency except for some cosmetic items.

I didn't try buying anything yet (don't really plan to either) so I wouldn't know what the pricing for meteor points is.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Banned
    I played a lot of Alpha but not much of the closed Beta.

Just jumped into the Open Beta last night and had fun.

The game seems less fun at the minute because its full of typical I refuse to pay for anything free to play vultures in shite robots.

Once a variety of mechs are in play the game will seem quite different I suspect.

Myself, I ponied up some cash and bought a sniper mech. Had a whale of a time because nobody expects to be sniped in this game. Was at the top of the scoreboard for the most part.

Banned
    Will just add a buyer beware though:

Tax isn't added to the price of the in game currency which is WELL SKEEZY, you 'll only see what you're actually paying after you've entered your details and are about to click confirm.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Once a variety of mechs are in play the game will seem quite different I suspect.

Myself, I ponied up some cash and bought a sniper mech. Had a whale of a time because nobody expects to be sniped in this game. Was at the top of the scoreboard for the most part.
    This is why I liked the game a ton in it's earlier builds, because they gave you a decent variety of mechs to start with, whereas now it's really limited without paying. I hate that you basically won because you paid more money than someone else. Just don't see how that's a good thing. I would love this game if I could've just paid around $30 and been done with it, but that's not even going to get me that far. This is the problem with F2P models, because you're getting a game (the core of it anyway) for free which seems nice, but when I see that it would cost like $5 a mech, not including any upgrades/parts/paint-jobs, it doesn't feel worth it, and it feels lame if I do buy it because now I have an advantage, not because I'm better, but because I paid for better stats. Bleh. It's especially hard for me to spend money on it now since it's technically just still in beta.

I was really looking forward to this game because they kept promising that purchases were going to be limited to aesthetic stuff when that's just not the case. Sure, you can grind your way to the mech you want, but there's absolutely no way you can match the progress of a guy that just has more money.