Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus bonkers's Avatar

Watch your language! So I thought...

John Smedly (President of SOE) has been a very "open" and "outspoken" man in the past. Today Mr. Smedley (President of SOE) went to talk about cheaters on his Twitter, going on to call them "dumbasses" and "scumbags" and that SOE "will find them and their family".

I have been a gamer and an administrator at esports ladders for years as well and I know the troubles these people cause. But is this really the way a president of company should talk? I am really getting more and more concerns giving more money to the company the more the man talks and writes.
    It's not that I think that he isn't right. He surely is. But would you trust anyone that talks this way? For me it's just unprofessional. Those are these kind of people who wouldn't get hired if they would post such things on their public Facebook wall. Maybe that changes once you are high enough in the food chain. Maybe that's how they do business talk in the US. Maybe. For me it's just... strange, to put it politely.

Am I the only one that this is rubbing the wrong way?

*edit*
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...side-2-Hackers
    (for those who want to compiled source)

*edit2*
    As it seems he had a follow up to the "family tweet" reading:
    "maybe I've been watching the trailer for Zero Dark Thirty too much. seriously we're on this"
    "Just to a make sure people know I was joking - we aren't hunting down hacker's families. Someone thought I was being too aggressive."
    For me that sounds like the easy way out. Is it still a joke if you have to tell people to laugh?
    And even if, I still do think that man should watch his tongue. He's the fucking president of a fucking company...
    Last edited by bonkers; 05-12-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus RIDEBIRD's Avatar
    Smedley is amazingly awful at PR and I feel really, really, really terrible for SOEs PR-team. It must be absolute hell to have a boss that could not give a shit less about what good PR is and how it works. I remember when he himself, and only him, announced the launch of PS2. It was supposed to be out in march 2012. That did not happen. He did the same thing with beta about ten times, and after that I just laugh at the man.

This was typical smed comment though. I think it's a bit much, and it's really not very befitting a CEO to say such things. Good that they're hunting cheaters though.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Partly, I can't say I would like to trust any companies employee. I have no actual idea, whether it's a smartly played out act or honesty.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    From what I saw it was a "joke" tweet as many cheaters used the defence of: "it was my brother/sister/cousin/offspring who did it, not me".

I think he is trying to reach the level of joe medium in an attempt to seem like "one of us" who gets annoyed by the same things.

Whether I agree with the actual content of the tweets myself or not, I do think that in this day and age of instant social media - it has gotta be better to have a ceo who is more of a human that just a robot. Things are generally more interesting with a bit of feeling.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I think he should be able to say whatever he wants (within common boundaries of libel, harassment etc, obv) on his twitter account. Nobody can be on their best work behaviour 24/7, and there's nothing unprofessional about being human.

Besides, he's being very restrained. Cheating in an online game is one of the most pathetic things a human can do. I can barely imagine how angry it must make the people who make the games.

I support his right to make an ass of himself on the internet.

Nim

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by bonkers View Post
    Maybe that's how they do business talk in the US. Maybe.
    I feel compelled to write that, whatever one's feelings about the way Smedley presents himself, no, it's not a generalized US thing. Most business leaders here talk in exactly the same blandly anodyne corporate speak that business leaders do elsewhere. I think that the corporate cowboy thing that Smedley's pulling is more common in the US tech (and particularly gaming) industry -- think of Steve Jobs' whiz-bang-gee MOST AMAZING THING EVER!!! product announcements, or John Romero wanting to make you his bitch.

Obscure Node
    I like him myself. He's clearly invested in the product/service he is responsible for, which is a great thing in these dark days of disinterested management.

Quote Originally Posted by Nim.Was.Taken View Post
    I support his right to make an ass of himself on the internet.

Nim
    Yes. Also, you can curse as much as you want, and to be honest, he comes off as a bit more honest than most ubisoft stuff.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    Yes. Also, you can curse as much as you want, and to be honest, he comes off as a bit more honest than most ubisoft stuff.
    It also makes him more "forgiveable" due to his "sincere human nature", what is a great marketing ploy, honestly.
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!
    http://ps2guides.besaba.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    It also makes him more "forgiveable" due to his "sincere human nature", what is a great marketing ploy, honestly.
    obviously, but its definitely one of the lesser invasive schemes.
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

"It's frankly embarrassing. The mods on here are woeful."

"I wrinkled my nose at QC being a mod."

"At least he has some personality."

Well, it's not as he's done it once and then stopped. He still continues using the word scumbag and just a few hours ago bragged about having banned a player who already put more than 1000$ into the store.

That said... I can totally understand where he's coming from. I'm working as a developer on a browser game myself (yeah, one of those, crack your jokes :P) and the constant fight against hackers or botters is just so annoying. It is horrible and frustrating and it makes you use swear words, believe me.

Oh and that thing with hunting down their families... seriously? He had to write an excuse because someone really thought he would go after their families? That's just hillarious

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    If it bothers you, don't buy his games. Holy shit easy.

I just assume you tried really really hard to contribute to the topic, so here is your medal:

He should call the mothers of people who cheat and tell them what their children did. In a game.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Unfortunately, the medal for your contributions to society is as non-existent to the contributions themselves. The world doesn't need guerrilla politic correctness police any more than it needs the paid ones.

And yet it exists.

Wait, if we are discussing wether society needs some sort of police: Yes. Every society of more than a few dozen individuals needs some sort of profesional rule-keeper.

If we are discussing wether a CEO may get angry about hackers on his private twitter: Also yes.
    ^^

bonkers: you're too white. This is a non-thread. /non-thread