Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I can understand that. My favorite form of fiction is historical fiction - mainly as a means of humanizing the characters of the era - and believe that there's a wealth of great stuff out there that's hardly tapped in the general public's eye.

That said, considering how reticent developers are when it comes to hiring bona fide writers, the chances of them commissioning historians is less likely than Michelle Bachmann having a mixed marriage.
    Are you a fan of Bernard Cornwell at all? He seems to be very to your tastes and he's a favourite author of mine. The Warlord Chronicles and the Saxon Stories made me actually care about the Britons and Anglo-Saxons during the Dark Ages.

Quote Originally Posted by TheXand View Post
    Are you a fan of Bernard Cornwell at all? He seems to be very to your tastes and he's a favourite author of mine. The Warlord Chronicles and the Saxon Stories made me actually care about the Britons and Anglo-Saxons during the Dark Ages.
    Agincourt was very good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    Isn't one of the biggest complaints about WH, FB and 40k, the fact that the ruleset is frequently quite unbalanced and that they're always focusing too much on the flavor of the month army rather than the ones that actually need it when it comes to updating rules?
    Thats basically true, if quite simplistic. GW's games are unblanced as they simply don't put in the requied legwork during the development phase which allows problems to persist into the printed army lists which are then not updated for over a decade in some cases. Its not really focused on 'flavour of the month', its just a case of shoddy games design which does create FotM armies relatively frequently but by the same token some new codices/army books are obviously sub par when compared to their peers.

The problem with a game representing the tabletop is that the tabletop is a poor representation of the 'real' 40k/warhammer. A PC game would be freed from most of the limitations of scale and clunky game mechanics so could well end up being truer to the source materiel. If you relly want a game that sticks closely to the tabletop rules then Chaos Gate is a very good choice (although it uses a version of 40K that has been sadly obsolete for over a decade), basically its like X-COM tactical battles but with Space Marines.

There is a mod for Medieval:Total War called Call of Warhammer which proves that the Warhammer world can work very well in a TW game. Its not a very good mod (it is poorly balanced and it doesn't play as smoothly as TW games usually do) but the possiblities are clear.
    Last edited by palindrome; 07-12-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Network Hub
    Evidently this news from gamearena is the same.
    There are manystrategy games on Android and iOS games but it looks to me the time of bigbudget PC and console strategy game has long passed. The release of XCOM: EnemyUnknown last October was not just a surprising resurrection of a dormantfranchise, but a birth of a new genre. It looks like Creative Assembly, themakers of Total War series published by Sega, sits together with Firaxis makingthem both keepers of a long faded art--the massively funded strategy game.While the studio is still doing very well in its right in the current gameindustry, it has shown indications that it is branching out into an entirelynew series. Now, Creative Assembly is making a Warhammer game.
    Needless to say, thepartnership of Sega and Games Workshop to make Warhammer games will most likelycreate a new amazing genre or game. Warhammer itself has established itself asan excellent maker of role-playing games including Warhammer Online: Age ofReckoning.
    It would have beengood to know what type of Warhammer games Creative Assembly will be making,though its understandable at such an early time. Obviously, the least that thegaming community can expect from the union is a good game.
    I can't wait to seethe product of this marriage. I'm a fan of the Total War series myself so we'llsee how they'll incorporate that in their new games.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Being that I live in the States and have an Irish surname, I'm not too keen on the English point of view of things.

There was a time when I'd read the semi-formulaic doggerel as written by O'Brian, Pope and Forester like candy, at least when they focused on the goings-on below deck, but since have preferred post-Colonial cynicism a la Orwell, Farrell and Christopher New, to speak of English authors of the genre.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Being that I live in the States and have an Irish surname, I'm not too keen on the English point of view of things.

There was a time when I'd read the semi-formulaic doggerel as written by O'Brian, Pope and Forester like candy, at least when they focused on the goings-on below deck, but since have preferred post-Colonial cynicism a la Orwell, Farrell and Christopher New, to speak of English authors of the genre.
    Well I'm a Scot and thoroughly enjoyed them. The Warlord Chronicles were about Arthur, a British warlord, and focused on the Briton side of the Anglo-Saxon incursions.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    Witcher/Alpha Protocol style RPG in the setting anyone?
    We've been waiting for a computerised version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay since the mid eighties ....

Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I used to like the scenario of Warhammer Fantasy, but when I started studying the source material (i.e. the history of the Holy Roman Empire) I realized it was just a boring, juvenile knockoff in comparison, without the exuberance that makes 40k special.
    I'd have said the opposite to be honest. The history of the HRE would no doubt have been far more interesting if it did actually have Conan and The Morte D' Arthur as neighbours. Not to mention the subterranean vikings and ancient egyptians.

Quote Originally Posted by archonsod View Post
    We've been waiting for a computerised version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay since the mid eighties
    Like pretty much everyone who ever played P&P RPGs I guess. Now it can actually happen though, assuming SEGA has half a brain and any sort of functional relationship with Obsidian after the AP problems.

Banned
    We've been waiting for a computerised version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay since the mid eighties ....
    That's a really weird thought actually. Never even occurred to me to just port over the tabletop game in it's entirety, ruleset and all. Can't say that it appeals to me more than a Total War adaptation. In any case I doubt we'd ever see all of that scenario happen because it would affect Games Workshop's sales of the tabletop game proper, like why Duels of the Planeswalkers will never efature full deck customisation for fear it would impact the Magic Online version. Maybe we'd see an awful online version of Warhammer to bleed people with over pricey content though?
    I'd have said the opposite to be honest. The history of the HRE would no doubt have been far more interesting if it did actually have Conan and The Morte D' Arthur as neighbours. Not to mention the subterranean vikings and ancient egyptians.
    Well played, good man.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Malawi Frontier Guard View Post
    I used to like the scenario of Warhammer Fantasy, but when I started studying the source material (i.e. the history of the Holy Roman Empire) I realized it was just a boring, juvenile knockoff in comparison, without the exuberance that makes 40k special.

Dark Omen was a good game though and CA seem to slowly have come out of their Medieval 2/Empire slump, so I'm still looking forward to whatever they will come up with.
    No fiction will ever trump history because all It can ever be is derivative of human experience anyway, or so abstract as to lose anything which allows the audience to identify with it. The idea isn’t that the two are rivals. Warhammer in particular gets this by being more or less a massive a celebration of a certain period of history and various cultures. The two stand beside each other quite purposefully. The founders of the GW universes where/are as much historical gamers as they were fantasy.

One of the reasons the brand has gone downhill of late in my opinion is that they have tried to imply that the GW universe is a stand-alone and entirely original IP, whereas I remember frequent articles in White Dwarf about historic heraldry being applied to Empire/Brettonian troops, the time of religious warfare in excess in Europe and its influence on Mordheim, and contrasting the raids of the Barbarians with the orcs.

That's a really weird thought actually
    It gets even weirder when you realize he was not referring to Warhammer Fantasy Battles aka WFB, but to the rather brilliant (at least until the latest edition) RPG called Warhammer Fantasy Role Play aka WFRP. While I agree there's no chance for a straight up WFB port, WFRP is not a core game for GW and therefore fair game for developers, as long as they stick to GW's IP directions.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    They won't be making 40K games. They got the license to Warhammer Fantasy Battle.
    Whoops. I actually do know that, it's just my usual slip of the tongue. I've gotten so used to just shortening Warhammer to 40k given my much greater familiarity with it.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    . In any case I doubt we'd ever see all of that scenario happen because it would affect Games Workshop's sales of the tabletop game proper
    I dunno, it's only a matter of time until they realise you can flog a DLC regiment for about the same price as the models, and you don't have anywhere near the expense of actually producing a model....

Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    WFRP is not a core game for GW and therefore fair game for developers, as long as they stick to GW's IP directions.
    Licensed to Fantasy Flight at the minute though IIRC, so I doubt it'd fall under the standard WH license.

Network Hub
    Am I the only ones that think CA are not quite silly enough to pull off Warhammer?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    Am I the only ones that think CA are not quite silly enough to pull off Warhammer?
    I'm not sure WHFB has been "silly" in a while. They pretty much moved all the way over to grim dark from about 6th or 7th edition and have stayed that way. Even Orcs, who would've sterotypically been dumb oafs are portrayed as being more brutal in fantasy now.

Network Hub
    You can be brutal, dark and silly all at once. In fact I'd say that's Warhammer's thing.

I've had this argument with those who are players of GW stuff before. To an outsider, it all looks very silly.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Take a look at the espionage videos: CA can do silly. I am not sure if I would trust them with Orcs and Goblins, but pretty much every other Army would work.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Licensed to Fantasy Flight at the minute though IIRC, so I doubt it'd fall under the standard WH license.
    I believe FFG has a very explicit limitation to paper products in their licence.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Installed the Warhammer mod for M2TW, Christ it's not the most cooperative mod in the world, fine once you get used to avoiding the nasty crash bugs and accepting the random ones though. Harshest things I've ever seen in TW games though, as soon as I've got done mopping up the last Beastman incursion into my lands, two more bloody Beastman stacks and two bloody Orc stacks promptly show up, the former coming at me and the latter my ally. Certainly catches the feel of the Empire though, desperately trying to unfuck every situation before everything unravels, enemies on all sides and your troops just aren't as good as theirs.

One funny thing, is this mod largely covers the AI's stupids (playing as the good guys at least). When it's Orcs, Chaos cultists and Beastmen being stupid, it just kinda works.

Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Take a look at the espionage videos: CA can do silly. I am not sure if I would trust them with Orcs and Goblins, but pretty much every other Army would work.
    They're British, I'm fairly sure that should automatically qualify them for Orcy humour. If they find themselves lacking, I'm sure they can find a few videos of some boozed up footy fans in the days before the cops got quite so efficient at being buzzkills.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday View Post
    CA could be pretty tongue in cheek when they wanted to be. A lot of the information on buildings and units in their games were very dry at times. Then there was Medieval 2's witches.

And this.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFenix View Post
    Installed the Warhammer mod for M2TW, Christ it's not the most cooperative mod in the world, fine once you get used to avoiding the nasty crash bugs and accepting the random ones though. Harshest things I've ever seen in TW games though, as soon as I've got done mopping up the last Beastman incursion into my lands, two more bloody Beastman stacks and two bloody Orc stacks promptly show up, the former coming at me and the latter my ally. Certainly catches the feel of the Empire though, desperately trying to unfuck every situation before everything unravels, enemies on all sides and your troops just aren't as good as theirs.

One funny thing, is this mod largely covers the AI's stupids (playing as the good guys at least). When it's Orcs, Chaos cultists and Beastmen being stupid, it just kinda works.
    Did you use the Rage of Dark Gods edition? Seems to be the most comprehensive version that squashes most bugs.
    Last edited by TheXand; 10-12-2012 at 03:07 AM.