Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Obscure Node

Space Trading/Exploration Games

Hi all

I grew up on space sims such as Elite, X-Wing and TIE fighter. However, it's a genre I haven't really played much of the past decade or so. Recently I've found myself wanting to dust off my joystick and get stuck into a freeform space sim. However, my requirements are quite specific, and I haven't been able to find a game which really meets them. I was hoping that RPS might be able to help me identify something to get lost in. Specifically I am looking for a space sim with the following attributes:
    • A large freeform universe in which to explore/trade/fight
    • Not too steep a learning curve- I don't want to have to devote my life to learning to play the thing, I don't have the time. (This is what has put me off the X series)
    • Must be playable with a joystick (I believe this rules out Freelancer)

I welcome all suggestions!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    After ruling out X and Freelancer, I'd say take a look at:

Independence War 2 (my personal favorite)
    Darkstar One (kind of like a "baby's first space sim," but pretty fun. Designed with Freelancer in mind. I think it can be played with a stick)
    Evochron Mercenary (vast, complex, confusing, kind of "X" like)

And, of course, there's always Ascii Sector.

You could try Spaceforce : Rogue Universe. It's not brilliant but it's one of the only recentish additions to the genre. It starts off a bit confusing but once you get the hang of it it isn't overly complex for the sake of being overly complex. It's also a really good looking game.

Are there still Freelancer multiplayer servers up? herm ...
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Wooly Wugga Wugga View Post
    You could try Spaceforce : Rogue Universe.
    I've eyed that one myself but was scared away by people saying that the combat was a tedious bitchy bitch bitch. What was your impression of the combat?

Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    I've eyed that one myself but was scared away by people saying that the combat was a tedious bitchy bitch bitch. What was your impression of the combat?
    It isn't great but I got around it by playing on easy difficulty and carrying lots of missiles.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Giaddon View Post
    It's not that bad once you get the hang of it. IIRC the stumbling block is the story based campaign chucking you into a 3 vs 1 situation pretty much off the bat.

X3 isn't THAT hard to play. Read a couple of guides and you're away.

Also Freelancer plays very nicely with the mouse - give the demo a go...

Network Hub Peter Radiator Full Pig's Avatar
    Dont play X2 whatever you do, one of the worst games I have ever played.

Oolite or Vega Strike, perhaps? Both seem to fit the criteria you're looking for, and are free into the bargain :P

Obscure Node
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, loads to check out there. I've had Independence war 2 recommended to me before, but I hadn't realised it had the freeform exploration/trade thing going on as well as the combat. I'm going to give that a go, especially as it's nice and cheap on GOG.

I must admit, I am wondering whether I should have jumped on X3 during the Steam sale, with comments like Lightbulb's suggesting I may have overestimated the difficulty curve. Maybe next time I see it cheap I will give it a try.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    IMPORTANT!

Trading in I-War 2 works like this: you're a pirate. You shoot cargo ships (which operate along dynamically generated trade lanes) and they'll release their goods, which you tag to be delivered to your base. From there, you can trade the items through the trade screen or recycle them to craft your own stuff.

But you do not go from station to station with a bunch of cargo to sell. If you want that exact setup, I-War 2 won't give it to you.

Activated Node
    I-War 2's free-form aspects (which, as Giaddon says, are piracy, not trading) are arse. I love the game, maybe not quite as much as the first but lots, but Particle Systems was good at heavily scripted missions, not sandboxage. It's the best slightly-less-nonsensical-physics space piloting shooty implementation I've played, and more than worth having just for that, but don't get it if you're looking for an Elite clone. Maybe try Privateer (it's Wing Commander, but not very apart from the talking cats). I want to try Evochron again myself at some point, but have already bounced of the demo with a "huh?" once. Doesn't help that there's so many versions of it and I'm easily confused.

Was going to sugesst also wing commander privateer, and it seems there is an opensource reimplementation of it here http://privateer.sourceforge.net/

Obscure Node
    The X series is tragically not fun.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Veracity View Post
    I-War 2's free-form aspects (which, as Giaddon says, are piracy, not trading) are arse. I love the game, maybe not quite as much as the first but lots, but Particle Systems was good at heavily scripted missions, not sandboxage. It's the best slightly-less-nonsensical-physics space piloting shooty implementation I've played, and more than worth having just for that, but don't get it if you're looking for an Elite clone.
    I worked on the I-War series as a designer, and I'd agree that the freeform aspect of I-War 2 is fairly limited, though it does give a better impression of the size of space than many other similar games. It's just a pity that all you can do in that huge space is pirate or do missions. Exploration (apart from discovering lucrative piracy sites) is just sight-seeing.

The piracy aspect is really fun and addictive though, and only came together really late in development. I'd recommend some mods to make the game more enjoyable, like multimod (to enable scripted mods to work nicely together), Custom Jafs (to give your trader a huge capacity ship) and Location Finder (a handy navigation tool that makes finding places easier).

Banned
    space rangers 2 reboot

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    lol
    played x2. learned how to play just from tutorial and doing plot missions and then reading a guide on x-forums for extra strategies. such a great game. old now so graphics is a bit crappy.

don't listen to Mr. Full Pig. he knows nothing :P

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Radiator Full Pig View Post
    You haven't played many games then.

But seriously though, I did like X2 a lot. Though X3 was just that much better as it also had "vertical ships", as opposed to horizontal ones that only had "2D" designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenger View Post
    I worked on the I-War series as a designer..
    Congratulations, I always wanted to play that game but never got around to it, but still, someone that worked on that game is Cool™. Also, I hope you don't go giving off comments about how space exploration/trading games are just old fashioned and noone wants to play them anymore, as someone from 2K did recently..