Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077

    Ni No Kuni (PS3)

    Anyone tried out the Ni No Kuni demo yet? I was pretty damn impressed. Combat seems to be a mix of FF and Pokemon, with the ability to move around in real time. And it looks gorgeous to boot. I was going to wait for a price drop, but now I think I have ventured into day 1 purchase territory. I was bummed to see Namco is no longer taking orders for the CE though :-(
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  2. #2
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    I wasn't expecting to see a thread about it on a PC gaming forum!

    But yes! I was super bumped when it turned out to be a demo on a timer, I thought those days were over.
    And yeah, everything in this game is wonderful, both English and Japanese voice acting with the JP VA being amazing, The art direction is like playing a Ghibli movie, it looks beautiful and I'm sure it has many collectibles and things to explore.

    Diving in to the demo was a bit confusing without a tutorial so died a couple of times at the Forest Guardian part, assumed it was a turned based game but turned out you could also move freely around the battlefield.

    And I'm sure some other stores still have the CE for pre-order.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  3. #3
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT-7
    Posts
    3,263
    You're lamenting that you didn't drop $100 on a single game? Namco did you a favor by selling out.

  4. #4
    Lesser Hivemind Node NecroKnight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    559
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I wasn't expecting to see a thread about it on a PC gaming forum!

    But yes! I was super bumped when it turned out to be a demo on a timer, I thought those days were over.
    And yeah, everything in this game is wonderful, both English and Japanese voice acting with the JP VA being amazing, The art direction is like playing a Ghibli movie, it looks beautiful and I'm sure it has many collectibles and things to explore.
    Well, that's because Studio Ghibli is one of the developers.
    But where did he come from, this fleck of spite in an abandoned paradise?

  5. #5
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I wasn't expecting to see a thread about it on a PC gaming forum!

    But yes! I was super bumped when it turned out to be a demo on a timer, I thought those days were over.
    And yeah, everything in this game is wonderful, both English and Japanese voice acting with the JP VA being amazing, The art direction is like playing a Ghibli movie, it looks beautiful and I'm sure it has many collectibles and things to explore.

    Diving in to the demo was a bit confusing without a tutorial so died a couple of times at the Forest Guardian part, assumed it was a turned based game but turned out you could also move freely around the battlefield.

    And I'm sure some other stores still have the CE for pre-order.
    Yeah the Forest Guardian killed me twice as well, until I figured out how to move about and eat consumables. I didn't touch the volcano part of the demo, as I would rather just see it for the first time in the main game. And unless I'm mistaken, I thought the CE was a Namco store exclusive.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  6. #6
    If the collectors edition is the wizards edition? you can still get some from shopto which is where i have pre-ordered mine.

    http://www.shopto.net/ps3/PS3NI09-ni...izards-edition

    Hope that helps :)
    Where you can find some of my mischief: http://karandraz.wordpress.com/

  7. #7
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by karandraz View Post
    If the collectors edition is the wizards edition? you can still get some from shopto which is where i have pre-ordered mine.

    http://www.shopto.net/ps3/PS3NI09-ni...izards-edition

    Hope that helps :)
    Ah, I fear I'm on the wrong side of the pond for that. I will try to find a US equivalent though. Thanks!
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  8. #8
    Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    714
    I hadn't heard of this game until right now. I did some Googling and the general reception seems to be that it is great.

    But I can't quite find any details about how it plays. Anyone care to elaborate?

  9. #9
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    I hadn't heard of this game until right now. I did some Googling and the general reception seems to be that it is great.

    But I can't quite find any details about how it plays. Anyone care to elaborate?
    From everything I have seen/read, and my time with the demo, it seems to be a mix of FF, Zelda, and Pokemon. The combat is turn-based, yet you can still move around during the battle to distance yourself from enemies, or pick up health/mana crystals that enemies can drop. It seems you can capture or recruit certain enemies to fight for you. They gain experience along with you, and you can level them up to enhance their abilities. In the demo, I was constantly switching between a pet with a sword and shield, and the main character who could shoot fireballs.

    The overworld map is like FF, except you can see enemies on the map and try to avoid them if you aren't looking for a fight. If you try and sneak by and they rush you however, they will get in a few seconds of free licks on you when the battle starts. Once you get off the map and into an area it feels very much like a 3D Zelda, running through the woods and talking to a giant tree. There seems to be an absurd amount of collectibles as well.

    On top of all that, it looks and sounds freaking amazing. And in one trailer I saw, you could fly around on a dragon. Sold.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  10. #10
    Level 5's previous game in this gist, Dark Chronicle, is one of my favourite games of all time. I was excited to hear they were doing another cel-shaded RPG, especially since ghibli was involved.

    Didn't realise there was a demo though, downloading now.

  11. #11
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    From everything I have seen/read, and my time with the demo, it seems to be a mix of FF, Zelda, and Pokemon. The combat is turn-based, yet you can still move around during the battle to distance yourself from enemies, or pick up health/mana crystals that enemies can drop. It seems you can capture or recruit certain enemies to fight for you. They gain experience along with you, and you can level them up to enhance their abilities. In the demo, I was constantly switching between a pet with a sword and shield, and the main character who could shoot fireballs.

    The overworld map is like FF, except you can see enemies on the map and try to avoid them if you aren't looking for a fight. If you try and sneak by and they rush you however, they will get in a few seconds of free licks on you when the battle starts. Once you get off the map and into an area it feels very much like a 3D Zelda, running through the woods and talking to a giant tree. There seems to be an absurd amount of collectibles as well.

    On top of all that, it looks and sounds freaking amazing. And in one trailer I saw, you could fly around on a dragon. Sold.
    Isn't the combat real time? You can pretty much attack or change monsters whenever.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  12. #12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    Isn't the combat real time? You can pretty much attack or change monsters whenever.
    It felt like a mix of both to be honest. There are no real turns, maybe, but your moves seemed to have timers, or be based on magic energy you had to pick up from the battlefield. And you don't want to just be spamming attacks and running around when you need to be defending before a big attack.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

  13. #13
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,603
    Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    It felt like a mix of both to be honest. There are no real turns, maybe, but your moves seemed to have timers, or be based on magic energy you had to pick up from the battlefield. And you don't want to just be spamming attacks and running around when you need to be defending before a big attack.
    Yeah, it's no hack and slash to win alright, you have to time your attacks for extra damage but it's a bit overwhelming in all this chaos of a fight.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

  14. #14
    I enjoyed the demo. Sweet graphics, witty enemy names, welsh companion character. Now to avoid thinking about it till it arrives.

  15. #15
    Awesome, I had no idea there was a demo out. I've been looking forward to this game for a long time, 'preciate the heads up.

    Edit: After playing it I'm really excited for the full game. Gorgeous graphics, amazing soundtrack, really fun gameplay (the FF meets Pokemon meets Zelda comparison seems pretty accurate) and just a charm that pervades everything in the game, something I've come to expect from both Level 5's games and Studio Ghibli's movies. I had a grin on the whole time I was playing. Basically everything I hoped it would be as far as I can tell.
    Last edited by Cosm; 16-12-2012 at 05:54 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •