Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Obscure Node
    I'm a document analyst for an insurance firm, which basically means I read emails and route documents to different departments all day. I send about 600 emails a day. It sucks.

Though hopefully soon I'll be local police.

Software Engineer.
    "You go up to a man, and you say, "How are things going, Joe?" and he says, "Oh fine, fine Ś couldn't be better." And you look into his eyes, and you see things really couldn't be much worse. When you get right down to it, everybody's having a perfectly lousy time of it, and I mean everybody. And the hell of it is, nothing seems to help much." - Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Network Hub
    I'm a shipping clerk for a trans-Europe/Asia company.

Just to add a bit a contrast to all these high-tech Gen X & Y jobs.

Farmer. Learning to be an organic veg & fruit grower on a community farming project.

Previously a burned-out civil servant & military aircraft project manager, then a burned-out management consultant. Currently conflicted between wanting to spend my time out on the land and time in front of a screen.
    Last edited by Colonel J; 16-07-2011 at 10:17 AM.

Project manager in local government. Not quite sure how that happened to be honest, I thought it was archaeology I studied.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    I'm doing a PhD in interactive storytelling. I'm funded by a research council, and I justify buying games by telling myself that they're "for research".
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    Magnificent and beloved despot of a small banana republic in the Pacific.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'm doing a PhD in interactive storytelling. I'm funded by a research council, and I justify buying games by telling myself that they're "for research".
    Man that would be my dream right there, I've been fascinated by interactive storytelling with games for a number of years now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus thegooseking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    Man that would be my dream right there, I've been fascinated by interactive storytelling with games for a number of years now.
    It's perhaps not quite as exciting as it sounds, but on balance it is pretty wonderful and I certainly can't complain.
    "Moronic cynicism is a kind of na´vetÚ. It's na´vetÚ turned inside-out. Na´vetÚ wearing a sneer." -Momus

Lesser Hivemind Node TillEulenspiegel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegooseking View Post
    I'm doing a PhD in interactive storytelling.
    What do you think of Universalis? That's the purest interactive/collaborative storytelling system I know of which can still be called a game.

Network Hub
    I've gone to University in an attempt to get a piece of paper I'll probably never use. I used to work in the Oil Industry.

I also periodically manage bars at festivals.
    Last edited by EOT; 17-07-2011 at 11:51 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    I do nothing. It's been the most interesting thing I've done for about 18 months, during which time I was battling the dark forces of human incompetence at a research university. Eventually I admitted my cause was lost, so right now I'm living off savings and taking stock. Also drinking. Quite a lot of drinking.

Before that I was an archivist for an educational charity. I fuckin' loved that job, not least because they asked me to write stuff for them. Before that I helped students with mobility issues get around a college and (unofficially) gave a little tutoring. Before that I did admin stuff for people who sold building supplies, and before that I worked in libraries. Before that I sold horrible tat to tourists in a cathedral, and before that I was a sandwich maker, and before that I realised everybody stopped reading two sentences ago so I'm going to say I procured and sold human organs to the Malaysian black market and personally ate Shergar.

Apparently since I left the last place, things have got considerably worse. I don't quite know if that's vindicating or just depressing, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    I do nothing. It's been the most interesting thing I've done for about 18 months, during which time I was battling the dark forces of human incompetence at a research university. Eventually I admitted my cause was lost, so right now I'm living off savings and taking stock. Also drinking. Quite a lot of drinking.

Before that I was an archivist for an educational charity. I fuckin' loved that job, not least because they asked me to write stuff for them. Before that I helped students with mobility issues get around a college and (unofficially) gave a little tutoring. Before that I did admin stuff for people who sold building supplies, and before that I worked in libraries. Before that I sold horrible tat to tourists in a cathedral, and before that I was a sandwich maker, and before that I realised everybody stopped reading two sentences ago so I'm going to say I procured and sold human organs to the Malaysian black market and personally ate Shergar.

Apparently since I left the last place, things have got considerably worse. I don't quite know if that's vindicating or just depressing, but there you go.
    wait.. you worked in libraries? :P
    Why are you wearing that stupid human suit?

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide
    Nice to see plenty of educated book larnin' folk around here. But where are all the dolescroungers?!?
    Last edited by Donjo; 20-07-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Uneducated button-pusher reporting for duty.

I'm a Civil Servant. Sorry.

I'm actually the mastermind of RPS, Rossignol, Meer and Walker are infact merely emotions that guide my writing. Gillen was anger and sadly had to be surgically removed.

Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I'm actually the mastermind of RPS, Rossignol, Meer and Walker are infact merely emotions that guide my writing. Gillen was anger and sadly had to be surgically removed.
    And Quinns?

I'm a student that's not enjoying school currently and wants to do other stuff but can't be bothered.

Starting a biosciences Phd on the evolution of avian coloniality in October. Up until then I am a filthy Msc student.

I am completely lost, but unfortunately not adrift.