Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Big Picture is for people who already use their computers with their TVs (as media servers/players, for example) or want to. It isn't necessarily for us who believe "Computer at desktop, TV and PS3 in living room".
    This.

End of discussion.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

It is also the first step to Steam on consoles (possibly, or maybe the third step). Probably works well with touch-screen PC/tablet jobbies, too.

I use it with my laptop. Great fun to play Bastion on the TV. Also good for party mode gaming. I don't own any consoles, so this is a nice way to at least emulate the experience.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    What happened with Valve :S

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Erm...what?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    For the desktop gamer, it provides a large button right up near the minimize/maximize/close options that you can accidentally hit.
    Last edited by vinraith; 07-12-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Activated Node
    A friend of mine uses it a lot, and is quite fond of it..
    He has an Alienware 14" laptop, so plugging it to the TV is an obvious thing.

I'm another example (though I barely use it). I got the PC setup in our bedroom, connected to a 40" Plasma.
    It's an old TV, and the only way I can use it is through a VGA connection. So I can either play on the desktop
    as i'm used to, or use the new mode and just lay on the bed, with the controller being a nice remote control.

Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    For the desktop gamer, it provides a large button right up near the minimize/maximize/close options that you can accidentally hit.
    LOL, yeah. It's really ugly and unprofessional looking at that. Hopefully that's temporary, just to highlight the new feature.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodeen View Post
    LOL, yeah. It's really ugly and unprofessional looking at that. Hopefully that's temporary, just to highlight the new feature.
    Well, they stuck with it though the whole beta, so I doubt it's going anywhere in a hurry.

For me it's absolutely useless since I don't plug my PC into a large LCD TV or anything, and as Vinraith said it's just another UI element to get in the way. But no doubt someone else is making use of it, and I don't make use of every feature in Steam anyway, so I don't see the point in complaining about it.

The real big news from the latest release was being able to install to a different drive. The saddest part is that we're excited about that when it should have been possible from the friggin' start!

You want to play games in your living rooms on you TVs? What are you, some wannabe console-tards? You are supposed to play hunched at your desk with your eyes 30 centimeters from the screen, that's how real PC gamers do it!!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The button SHOULD be an option in the 'View' menu - and that's about it :)

I trust it will be moved there - but then I'd trusted they'd fix stuff like adding games into your library and other things they've not bothered with, so who knows :)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Wargasm View Post
    why the hell would I rather buy a 900 gaming PC and have it in my living room to play games on my tv, rather than buying a 300 console?
    Because you don't want to restrict yourself to broadcast media when you have the internet. If you didn't have a console, why the hell would you bother with a TV in the first place?

It's a fun concept and playing games like Assassins Creed on the big screen looks like fun. I'd have to buy a 5 or 10 meter hdmi cable plus a wireless x360 controller though (already have a wired one). So for the moment, I'll pass.

Obscure Node
    I imagine it will one day relate to valve's move into hardware

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    doesn't work for me. it says steam big picture is not supported on your platform. does it mean XP?

and lolz at people who complain about the concept. really: what the hell did you expect?

laptop users will benefit from it. and is latency on wireless hdmi that a big of a deal?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Big picture mode is cool but there are some games (like Saint's Row 3) that have a splash screen before launching, and this splash screen doesn't recognize the controller, so you still have to get up and go to the desk to click it to launch the game. Hopefully Big Screen will help some developers realize they shouldn't have these splash screen unless they accept controller input. In SR3 it's a selection between DX9 or 10&11... so it's not like they can put those options in the game... perhaps two different executables to select within Steam.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukasz View Post
    doesn't work for me. it says steam big picture is not supported on your platform. does it mean XP?

and lolz at people who complain about the concept. really: what the hell did you expect?

laptop users will benefit from it. and is latency on wireless hdmi that a big of a deal?
    The beta said it only supported Vista and 7. So most likely it doesn't support XP, besides it's time to move on, XP users are also part of the reason PC gaming is getting held back considering XP can't use DX11 or even DX10 and if you're using modern hardware on a XP PC you're holding back your own system.

Banned
    Valve are trying to casualize PC gaming! FUCKEN GARRY NEWELL!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleFighter View Post
    XP users are also part of the reason PC gaming is getting held back
    No, the fact that consoles haven't had a new generation in seven years is.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleFighter View Post
    The beta said it only supported Vista and 7. So most likely it doesn't support XP, besides it's time to move on, XP users are also part of the reason PC gaming is getting held back considering XP can't use DX11 or even DX10 and if you're using modern hardware on a XP PC you're holding back your own system.
    i know. but i am sitting on ancient hardware so there is zero reasons for me to get winseven.