Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    yeesh... shame on you for not giving microsoft hundreds of dollars every few years!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Hundreds of dollars?

Is it not $200 for Windows anymore? (actually I think I have heard that you can upgrade from 7 to 8 for cheaper, but I think to go from XP to 7 is gonna run close to $200, no?)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    My upgrade to Win7 a couple years ago was $130.

Win8 is, for anybody with an existing copy of Windows (which is everybody under the sun), $40.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Oh I didn't realize it was any copy. So you can upgrade from XP to 8 for the reduced price? That's cool, I guess. I'm hoping to hang on to 7 for as long as possible. I didn't upgrade from anything (though I bet I could have found a way to get that price) because XP is still on my other machine, and win 7 went on a new machine.

Yes, you can upgrade from XP to 8 with only $40. Indeed, that's the entire purpose of their price-point: To kill XP once and for all.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    OK, time for my 2 cents. I carried my PC downstairs and hooked it up to my TV. Big Picture mode was cool I guess, but it really just provides solutions to problems that I won't encounter. I don't need a way to chat with friends while only using a controller, because if I'm only using a controller, then I'm only playing SP games. If I'm only playing SP games, I don't even sign into my friends list, therefore I will not need an easy way to chat.

As for PC gaming on the TV itself...WOW! I have been fucking missing out. Most games I tried I was already used to playing with a controller anyway, like Arkham City or AC. However, kicking back on the sofa and not having to wear headphones (I was hooked up to my HTS) felt awesome. The combination of the enhanced graphics of the PC and the big screen of console gaming was just a match made in heaven. Now, here's where things got interesting:

I fired up Borderlands 2. I lowered my FOV just a hair (higher than standard console FOV, but lower than when I was sitting 2 feet away from a 24" monitor). I turned on aim assist, or rather, it was turned on automatically once the game detected my controller. I also increased the HUD scale a bit so I could read things all the way from my couch. I played a bit as Zero and Gaige. It actually played really well. The aim assist gives you just a little bit of "grab", just enough to help someone who can't aim great with a gamepad stay on target. Now, I couldn't run into an area and just instantly quickscope everyone like when I had my mouse. In a way though, it made the game fun again. I had to actually use cover now, and wait for my shield to recharge. Don't get me wrong. I was still blowing people's heads off all over the place, but it wasn't like with my mouse, where I might only miss 1 out of 10 shots. Overall I had a blast with it.

Now this is what really shocked me. Skyrim. I turned off all my PC-tailored interface mods, like SKYUI. I kept on iHUD, with permanent crosshair and compass. The game looked great at the default FOV. No need to bump it up to 90 like when I played on my monitor. Again, I rather liked the controls. I removed my "no auto-aim" mod, so shooting the bow really wasn't that much more difficult. Again, I couldn't shoot down a hawk from a half mile out like with my mouse, but I could hit a wolf or a dragon. The one thing I absolutely loved about the controls, was that the thumbstick gives you a ton of different movement speeds, unlike walk, run, or sprint on PC. It's so much more fluid to sneak up on someone with the thumbstick. Now, I couldn't whiz through my inventory or shop menus nearly as quickly as before, but again, that's a fair tradeoff for being able to lie down on the sofa and not have to wear headphones. Also, something about the combination of the lower FOV and the big screen made the world just look freaking MASSIVE. I was standing in the fields outside of Whiterun, taking in all the mountains, and the game just looked bigger than it ever had. I was more wowed than when I first played it on release day.

Anyhow, I took my computer back upstairs last night to play some MP FPS. There's no way I would ever do that with a controller. Sometime in the next month or so, I will move my PC back down to the TV, at least until we move to a bigger house. Oddly enough, I have no desire to go back to playing BL2 or Skyrim on my tiny little monitor. I'm already looking forward to hooking my PC back up to the TV, once I get all the splitters and cables I will need.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    To me the big problem is that--even for controller-friendly titles--PC resolutions result in interfaces that are decidedly not good for a TV. This is most obvious if you try to play a PC-exclusive game, where the thought of playing while sitting six feet or more from the screen never entered the developers' collective mind; try playing Civilization V or Crusader Kings II on your TV to see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    To me the big problem is that--even for controller-friendly titles--PC resolutions result in interfaces that are decidedly not good for a TV. This is most obvious if you try to play a PC-exclusive game, where the thought of playing while sitting six feet or more from the screen never entered the developers' collective mind; try playing Civilization V or Crusader Kings II on your TV to see what I mean.
    Half of me asks why you'd want to play Civ5 on your TV.

The other half of me suggests you get a larger TV.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    you're absolutely right on that point. You either memorise what all the tiny icons stand for in Shogun 2 and Civ V, or get binoculars. No other way around it.

EDIT: Just wanted to point out that multi-platform titles (and a few exclusives like STALKER, the first Crysis) mostly have UIs that are similiar to their console counterparts, so no worries there.

Playing a strategy game with a motion controlled mouse,
    like this:

Is definitely a unique experience though. Nothing gives you the same level of megalomania as directing hundreds of soldiers to doom or victory using a dark wand :P
    Last edited by mashakos; 10-12-2012 at 04:27 PM.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by db1331 View Post
    Anyhow, I took my computer back upstairs last night to play some MP FPS. There's no way I would ever do that with a controller. Sometime in the next month or so, I will move my PC back down to the TV, at least until we move to a bigger house. Oddly enough, I have no desire to go back to playing BL2 or Skyrim on my tiny little monitor. I'm already looking forward to hooking my PC back up to the TV, once I get all the splitters and cables I will need.
    PC games are even better with dolby 5.1 surround :)
    Give this a try when you have everything set up:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...x-quot-problem
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Lads, Steam can't do anything about the fact that the guys behind Civ 5 didn't envision you playing their game on a 32" tv. What do people actually expect from them?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    Lads, Steam can't do anything about the fact that the guys behind Civ 5 didn't envision you playing their game on a 32" tv. What do people actually expect from them?
    As ever the moon on a stick.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    PC games are even better with dolby 5.1 surround :)
    Give this a try when you have everything set up:
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...x-quot-problem
    Thanks. I bookmarked it, will check it out when I have everything set up.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Half of me asks why you'd want to play Civ5 on your TV.

The other half of me suggests you get a larger TV.
    I'm just saying, if you are going to hook a PC up to your TV, you might want to play all of your available games on it. Unless you plan on hooking and unhooking your system each time you change from a TV-friendly game to a TV-unfriendly one, or have two different machines, it just seems like something to be aware of.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Whilst I've been keen on the idea of a 'Steam PC' for a while - the idea of it being Linux-based is fucking hilarious...

It would be commercial suicide akin to the idea of releasing the iPod with the limitation it could only play Bluegrass or the iPhone which would only work in Swahili...

A Steam PC >HAS< to be Windows-based - even if it's just an option (tho that's like making tyres optional on a car) - there's zero point doing it otherwise...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Whilst I've been keen on the idea of a 'Steam PC' for a while - the idea of it being Linux-based is fucking hilarious...

It would be commercial suicide akin to the idea of releasing the iPod with the limitation it could only play Bluegrass or the iPhone which would only work in Swahili...

A Steam PC >HAS< to be Windows-based - even if it's just an option (tho that's like making tyres optional on a car) - there's zero point doing it otherwise...
    I assume you missed Valve's push to "Steam for Linux". And a little something called "Wine"

As it stands, Wine is rapidly becoming useful (it is probably already there, honestly). Combine that with a developer who is:
    1. Competent
    2. Well funded
    3. Properly motivated
    and we could have almost the entire back catalog functional in Linux within a year or two. That just leaves new releases, and if Valve's push works, the devs and publishers will handle the ports/linux versions of those.

[edit]
    In case that was too hard to follow/unintuitive:

Wine allows for (some/many/most/a few) Windows games to be played in Linux. When it works, it is beautiful. When it doesn't, it is all the bad parts of Linux rolled into one.

If Valve were to dedicate resources to a Wine alternative (or just buy out whatever organization maintains it), they could resolve almost all usability issues.

So that means that Steam would have two kinds of Linux games: Linux games ported by the developers (many indie games, potentially new releases) and games that Valve have, with the permission of the developers/publishers, set up profiles for so that Wine/whatever can make it runnable. But as far as the user is concerned: They all install with a double-click.

While there would be a LOT of the latter to begin with, it is not a stretch to realize that publishers would start allocating resources to make a linux-friendly binary for new releases whenever feasible, especially if their preferred digital distribution platform (Steam) is pushing for it.
    [/edit]
    Last edited by gundato; 10-12-2012 at 07:35 PM.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

I'm just saying, if you are going to hook a PC up to your TV, you might want to play all of your available games on it. Unless you plan on hooking and unhooking your system each time you change from a TV-friendly game to a TV-unfriendly one, or have two different machines, it just seems like something to be aware of.
    Sounds like a problem with cabling more than anything else. I live in an apartment, as do most people in my social circles, and as such there is nothing that can't be fixed with 100ft of cable and a wireless keyboard. I have a fair number of friends who have done away with traditional TV and just have a hub-style PC setup for their living room needs.

No need to lug your box around. Just wire and network it appropriately. Hell, since this is Steam we're talking about, you can have multiple machines and use the same library, so there's a wealth of setups you can try.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Sounds like a problem with cabling more than anything else. I live in an apartment, as do most people in my social circles, and as such there is nothing that can't be fixed with 100ft of cable and a wireless keyboard. I have a fair number of friends who have done away with traditional TV and just have a hub-style PC setup for their living room needs.

No need to lug your box around. Just wire and network it appropriately. Hell, since this is Steam we're talking about, you can have multiple machines and use the same library, so there's a wealth of setups you can try.
    yeah. I have a pair of these:

works like a treat. Bluetooth peripherals also have great range if you don't want to get the usb extender.
    Steam profile

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Zephro's Avatar
    I'm not clear but I don't thing Gave said it definitely would be 'nix. For purposes of wild speculation anyway.