Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Character Class in Mass Effect

I just bought Mass Effect in the Steam sale and am wondering which class to play. Here's where I'm coming from:

1. I almost certainly won't play the game twice, so I'd like to get the class that will let me do the most fun stuff in a single playthrough, even if it's not the easiest for beginners.

2. I'm probably more interested in having fun companions than in making the game easier. Which class would best compliment the most fun / best written companions? (I hate Bioware romances, so that's not an issue. My Shepard will probably be asexual as a result of some technobabble that happened before the game started.)

Any advice?

My advice would be don't worry about it too much. Take whichever character class sounds most interesting - I went for the soldier, because that is who I wanted to play as.

For the companions - just talk to them, find out who you think is the most interesting, and take them along with you...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Vanguard. Force powers and shotguns.

Wrex, Tali, Garrus, those companions are my favourite - all three of them are interesting characters.

Obviously this is subjective, but you asked for input and this is mine.

Definitely Wrex, Tali and Garrus. Liara doesn't really develop as a character until the Shadow Broker DLC for Mass Effect 2, and the humans are rather boring.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Wrex is the best companion. Her and Liara will hold up all attackers. Then just go an offensive class to get the kills and you're all set.

Oh wait, you're talking about from a story/writing point of view? They are all boring. I guess Tali would be the best one to take, as well as perhaps Garrus. Neither of them talk much emo shit.

I was more thinking if (for example) Wrex was the most interesting companion to have around, I wouldn't want to pick a class for Shepard that made Wrex redundant and forced me to bring along a more annoying character because I needed a healer or an engineer or whatever.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    For Mass Effect 1, the Vanguard is a great class providing variety of weapons and biotics.

But yeah, Wrex has some good stories, Garrus you can mentor, Tali can tell you about the Flotilla, Liara about...well actually I never used Liara in 1. Like her or loathe her, Ashley is a great character who you can either like and appreciate, or hate and appreciate. She's a soldier, so all grounds covered in that front, although for that raw fire power, Garrus and Wrex can match it and have different abilities.

And don't take Kaiden. He's so droll. Same applies to Jacob in ME2.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Urthman View Post
    I was more thinking if (for example) Wrex was the most interesting companion to have around, I wouldn't want to pick a class for Shepard that made Wrex redundant and forced me to bring along a more annoying character because I needed a healer or an engineer or whatever.
    Doesn't really work like that in the ME games. There are no healers or tanks, there's Weapons, Tech and Biotics, all of which are used for killing stuff. Some stuff is more vulnerable to some things than others but unless you're playing on super hard mode, it doesn't really matter. And because half the classes are a combination of two, pretty much any set of three characters will cover all the bases.

So pick instead on which is the best fit for your play-style. Vanguard is fun for running up to stuff and close combat, Infiltrator is my favourite for sniping, Soldier is a good all-round offensive character, Adept is biotics and controlling the battlefield, Sentinel is hanging back and supporting.

I guess I am a mediocre player, but I did need one of the squad to have decent healing.

Wrex is awesome, do not miss out.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel2517 View Post
    I guess I am a mediocre player, but I did need one of the squad to have decent healing.
    The First Aid skill in Mass Effect just increases how good the Medi-gel is. It's also available to most classes.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus The JG Man's Avatar
    The most important thing is shield strength and recharge. With enough configuramajigging, you can have your characters have almost constant up-time, even if the shields take damage. Unless they're Wrex. Who is built like a bloody tank.
    Powered by Steam. And biscuits. I'm also a twit and dabble in creative writing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Vanguard. Force powers and shotguns.
    Yeah I'd go with this. If you complete one playthrough then iirc then you'll unlock that weapon type for the other classes. On a second playthrough I'd then advise going sentinel that way you have all the tech and biotic powers at your disposal plus a bad ass shotgun unlock as well.

Be warned inventory management is a pain in the arse in the first game.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    The First Aid skill in Mass Effect just increases how good the Medi-gel is. It's also available to most classes.
    Yeah, but I didn't put points in it except for Liara and some for Tali late in the game. I tried it without them, but I didn't like the cover so I preferred to rely on healing

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Vanguard or Inflitrator. These are the "multiclass" options and will consequently give you the most flexibility, both for pairing with whatever companions you prefer and for experiencing as many combat options as possible.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah, you needn't ever worry that you "need" to take a biotic or a tech with you. All problems in Mass Effect are solved by killing people, and all those skills are ever used for is killing. (Seriously, your techs and biotics never use their skills to do anything non-combat). That said, Vinraith is probably right about the best picks to experience most of the game. Picking solider is a bit superfluous as you don't need all 4 weapons and the skills are a bit weak. Sniper + Pistol or Shotgun + Pistol probably gives you all the guns you need, while letting you play a bit with tech or biotic skills.

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    (Seriously, your techs and biotics never use their skills to do anything non-combat)
    Not entirely true that. Lockpicking and the like requires a tech (or hybrid tech) with points invested in Decryption and Electronics. While lockpicking is never essential for a mission, without it you're losing out on a hefty loot/revenue stream.

I'd say Vanguard and Infiltrator are good picks, I had a bit of fun doing some biotic juggling with the Adept too (the pistol restriction is reasonably compensated by it becoming a veritable handcannon when you stick a few point into it).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Man Raised By Puffins View Post
    Not entirely true that. Lockpicking and the like requires a tech (or hybrid tech) with points invested in Decryption and Electronics. While lockpicking is never essential for a mission, without it you're losing out on a hefty loot/revenue stream.

I'd say Vanguard and Infiltrator are good picks, I had a bit of fun doing some biotic juggling with the Adept too (the pistol restriction is reasonably compensated by it becoming a veritable handcannon when you stick a few point into it).
    Huh, I assumed that the lock picking was just always done by Shep. ( I played an infil). The couple of times I something storyline-based involved some technical aptitude (tracing a signal, getting access to something) I was always amused to see it was done by whoever was with me who wasn't a tech.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Huh, I assumed that the lock picking was just always done by Shep. ( I played an infil). The couple of times I something storyline-based involved some technical aptitude (tracing a signal, getting access to something) I was always amused to see it was done by whoever was with me who wasn't a tech.
    All the minigames use the highest relevant score in the party, essentially, regardless of the animation.

Play with any class that has throw and lift.
    The fun will never stop.

And if you play Mass Effect 2, throw is a must have. I had so much fun with it, sending aliens and people flying across the map.

Activated Node
    This thread definatly helped me decide what class / companions to tag along, excellent! :)
    However, I'm wondering what gender delivers the best voiceacting for Shepard? Male or Female?
    Of course it's a manner of preference as all else but.. If one of them has an edge..