Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Network Hub

FarCry3 - How can you play this?

I gave up after maybe 10 minutes of not being able to do anything but follow the tracks, can't skip any of cutscenes, nothing. Got to the point where you cross the bridge and fall into the river and AGAIN the game takes control away from you and you can't skip that.

Whereas a game like Hotline Miama had me hooked within minutes of playing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Because there totally different games and most people are able to spend more than ten minutes on a game before judging it. Hotline is very faced paced. Farcry 3 is obviously not.

To save this turning into a pointless 10 page argument, I'll say this:

"Different strokes for different folks."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelz View Post
    To save this turning into a pointless 10 page argument, I'll say this:

"Different strokes for different folks."
    A good effort, but I fear it's going to be in vain.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    You didn't even get out of the introduction. It's like playing Skyrim and stopping just as you name your character.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    You didn't even get out of the introduction. It's like playing Skyrim and stopping just as you name your character.
    the introduction is a good way to get acquainted with the game, and that's why it's called such.
    just let the game be at first.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    You must have atrocious taste in movies.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    You must have atrocious taste in movies.
    Because games always wanted to be movies right?

Network Hub
    Why would you want to skip any of the cutscenes at the start of the game? It's setting up the entire story oO

Also yea, like others have said you haven't even finished the (very short) tutorial section. Oh well, I'm sure Ubisoft appreciates your 35 :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Why would you want to skip any of the cutscenes at the start of the game? It's setting up the entire story oO

Also yea, like others have said you haven't even finished the (very short) tutorial section. Oh well, I'm sure Ubisoft appreciates your 35 :)
    Making your intro unskippable is totally inexcusable, and has been for at least twenty years. Making it ten minutes long and unskippable is verging into "ironic punishment in hell" territory.

If the player wants to skip the story, that's their business. Tutorials should always be skippable, too, or has everyone forgotten the interminable nightmare that was pre-patch Black and White?

I've not played Far Cry 3, but I have attempted to play Burnout Paradise a couple of times now, and each time, it's made me sit through enough pointless, unskippable horseshit that I've never even got to the game itself before switching it off in disgust. There's just no excuse for that kind of bollocks. That people are still making these mistakes (or, more likely, arrogant decisions) hints at how poorly video game design standards have developed in some details.
    Last edited by sinister agent; 08-12-2012 at 03:46 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Making your intro unskippable is totally inexcusable, and has been for at least twenty years. Making it ten minutes long and unskippable is verging into "ironic punishment in hell" territory.

If the player wants to skip the story, that's their business. Tutorials should always be skippable, too, or has everyone forgotten the interminable nightmare that was pre-patch Black and White?
    The only reason I can imagine they do this is to avoid people skipping them, then complaining online that the mechanics or story make no sense...

Quote Originally Posted by Creeping Death View Post
    Because I shouldn't have to watch a movie in order to understand the plot of a game. I'm not saying the OP was right to quit on the game after 10 minutes but unskippable cutscenes annoy the shit out of me.

Because you gave the game quite literally 10 minutes of your time, not long enough to get out of the tutorial and therefore not enough time to form any kind of opinion on the actual game.

Usually I just switch on my computer and boot up the game, but I'm kind of old-fashioned and I'm sure other people have far more exotic methods

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kelron's Avatar
    Personally I only give a game 5 minutes before quitting to write angry forum posts.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Pff, I got 4 characters into your post and I already knew it was bollocks.

I'm lucky if I get past the titles.
    I'm Respecting your culture!

Honestly, with the Steam overlay, even that's going above and beyond

Network Hub
    I'm just curious, but did you enjoy the first 10 minutes of, say...AC3, or MP3?

Activated Node
    Incredibly stupid thread. You're absolutely in control of your character through probably 99% of the game. The "cutscenes" are in-game and are very short.