Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I hate the Half Life method of doing cut-scenes: here, someone will talk at you, but we will give you control of your character and the camera.

The problem being, when a game gives me control, I feel like I'm meant to be doing something. Which isn't the case. I can't actually accomplish anything in a HL cut-scene. And the characters fail to react at all to anything I do.

I'm totally fine with a game taking control away from me if there's no point to me having that control.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sabrage's Avatar
    The middle-ground Gears of War-style is what really gets me: Stick finger in ear, reduce walking speed to 25% of normal, proceed to relay useless information. Naturally, you cannot skip this.

Network Hub
    Am I the only person who wanted more tutorial in the game?

Namely, press F to melee. That would have been nice to know.

The gears of war games' cutscenes just made me rotate the character till I was dizzy. It's a really boring way to relay information the target audience likely doesn't care about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    The middle-ground Gears of War-style is what really gets me: Stick finger in ear, reduce walking speed to 25% of normal, proceed to relay useless information. Naturally, you cannot skip this.
    Press the back button.

Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    Press the back button.
    Seriously? You're about 5 years too late with this information. Can you skip it in the Arkham games too?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    The amazing forest rendering in this game (gliding view)

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...6131CA0B08F95/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sabrage View Post
    Seriously? You're about 5 years too late with this information. Can you skip it in the Arkham games too?
    That I don't know. I know the skipping works in Gears 2 and 3, not sure about 1.

That I don't know. I know the skipping works in Gears 2 and 3, not sure about 1.
    The first was the only one I played. I probably mashed every button when it happened, so more likely than not you were just forced to endure it. I'm certainly not keen on going back and checking.

Network Hub
    You didn't even get out of the introduction. It's like playing Skyrim and stopping just as you name your character.
    the introduction is a good way to get acquainted with the game, and that's why it's called such.
    just let the game be at first.

Network Hub
    I agree, though it's somewhat time consuming but it's worth it. I really hate skipping the introduction.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sonson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I don't think it's a mistake. The number of reviews - written, video or otherwise - I've seen where the reviewer misses something that would have been explained through reading hte manual or playing the tutorial is staggering. Said reviewer usually then goes on to slam the game for not explaining things clearly.

And I see this on forums all the time. With the death of proper manuals has come this sense of lazy entitlement; where people think they are veteren gamers who can play any game without help, so whenever they skip the tutorial yet don't know what's going on it's actually the games fault for not explaining things correctly. There seems to be no middle ground for so many people. So far better they get forced into a tutorial making sure they understand the basics, than to have them quit after 10 minutes and run off to bitch online.

And no, I don't think "nobody's time is worth anything unless they are doing what you think is important", that was intentional hyperbole on my part so that I could make a masturbation joke - it's kind of what all British humour comes back to. But tutorials aren't exactly dull these days, unless you're playing some sort of German RPG for the first time. They've gotten pretty good at interweaving the mechanics to the tutorial in a fun way. If someone can play the same fucking dungeon in WoW or the same fucking map on TF2 for hours straight, then they should be able to struggle through that first few hours of AssCreed or FarCry where they're being introduced to the story, characters and mechanics - while getting to use said mechanics - without throwing a moody.
    I love you

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Casimir Effect View Post
    I don't think it's a mistake. The number of reviews - written, video or otherwise - I've seen where the reviewer misses something that would have been explained through reading hte manual or playing the tutorial is staggering. Said reviewer usually then goes on to slam the game for not explaining things clearly.

And I see this on forums all the time. With the death of proper manuals has come this sense of lazy entitlement; where people think they are veteren gamers who can play any game without help, so whenever they skip the tutorial yet don't know what's going on it's actually the games fault for not explaining things correctly. There seems to be no middle ground for so many people. So far better they get forced into a tutorial making sure they understand the basics, than to have them quit after 10 minutes and run off to bitch online.

And no, I don't think "nobody's time is worth anything unless they are doing what you think is important", that was intentional hyperbole on my part so that I could make a masturbation joke - it's kind of what all British humour comes back to. But tutorials aren't exactly dull these days, unless you're playing some sort of German RPG for the first time. They've gotten pretty good at interweaving the mechanics to the tutorial in a fun way. If someone can play the same fucking dungeon in WoW or the same fucking map on TF2 for hours straight, then they should be able to struggle through that first few hours of AssCreed or FarCry where they're being introduced to the story, characters and mechanics - while getting to use said mechanics - without throwing a moody.
    I love most of this unless that reference is to AssCreed 3, which is horrible. I'm not anti-tutorial, I'm not one of those people who wines about unskippable cut scenes (especially if they're as infrequent as they are in Far Cry), but AC3 is a whole different level. It's five or six hours of incredibly bland, incredibly non-interactive stuff. That's well beyond the line.

In fairness, the Far Cry 3 tutorial is short, story related (You play a mid-twenties american (I deleted the word "yank") thrillseeker with little to no experience with weapons or other life-threatening situations) and about 70% of it you can control your character. To say "10 minutes..fuck this" (paraphrasing) is ridiculous and smells of troll-bait, if anything FC3 missed out on certain things (As someone else mentioned, the melee button tutorial would of been perfect for the first kill whilst escaping), but it wasn't overly long winded like AssCreed 3 (Sorry but the game, even after the tutorial, was just so god-damn pretentious and boring).

The Half Life method (Copyrighted!) gave the players freedom to ignore the story, and yet it also gave the ability to accidentally miss some of the story... which results in the same players complaining that they didn't understand what the hell was going on.
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Activated Node
    Anybody who talks up the "control" you're given in HL2 is ridiculous. Yes, you can run around and jump on tables while silently listening to ten minutes of exposition, but so what? You're trapped in a room with people who are essentially having a conversation in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by benexclaimed View Post
    Anybody who talks up the "control" you're given in HL2 is ridiculous. Yes, you can run around and jump on tables while silently listening to ten minutes of exposition, but so what? You're trapped in a room with people who are essentially having a conversation in front of you.
    In my opinion, still better than the "Modurn Wor Shootah!" recent method of having the NPC's actually play the entire game for you :P
    Yes, I update the below link frequently on a whisky fuelled rampage. I regret nothing.

Being a grumpy bastard about everything gaming related.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I don't want anyone to take control of me, and direct where I look and everything. Maybe I want to look whats behind a table or something, or examine a map in a wall or stuff like that. Being forced to look in a particular direction, feels forced. But enough of that. FC3 is a good game is own way, is just different that what I like, and thats okay.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    People who instantly skip cutscenes drive me mad. They act like a few minutes of story will kill them. My wife does it whenever she plays a game. She skips right over the 1-2 minute video that would tell her exactly where to go next, then complains that she has no idea where to go.
    "What were we talking about? Pegasuses, pegasii, that's horses with wings. This motherf*cker got a sword that talks to him. Motherf*cker live in places that don't exist, it comes with a map. My God."

Activated Node
    OP is what we call a Successful Troll. Not many around these days..

I thought that, but since most of us are addressing one another rather than the original poster, it's not really the world's biggest victory