Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Banned
    brb, masturbating furiously

Shame about the streamlining, but if it's limited to a difficulty select(which all signs on the sky seem to be pointing at) then who cares? ENB? Well fuck ENB.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    I want to to be excited but I have not completed Dark Souls yet and I'm not sure if I ever will.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

I'm torn. On one hand: amazeballs! Praise the sun!

On the other hand: somehow the trailer didn't 'feel' like a souls-trailer to me. So far the trailers were focusing more on the world, this time I had the feeling it focuses on characters. A bit odd and if I'd be prone to wild speculation I'd say this indicates a shift in the core design philosophy. Maybe its because it launched at the VGA, the vatican-equivalent for the dorito-pope?

I'll wait with my judgement until I see some gameplay videos.
    currently playing: Assetto Corsa

Steam/GFWL/PSN: namefinder

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravelle View Post
    I want to to be excited but I have not completed Dark Souls yet and I'm not sure if I ever will.
    If there's so much as a speck of courage within you, you very well should.
    And in case of need, you could always try to team up with someone to go at it co-op (cowards).

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Ravelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    If there's so much as a speck of courage within you, you very well should.
    And in case of need, you could always try to team up with someone to go at it co-op (cowards).
    I tried that but for some reason me and my bud weren't able to see each other's summoning stone on the ground and join each other.
    Steam | Origin: xRavelle | Skype: TheRavelle | PSN: Voltburn | Watch me struggle through my backlog

Yeah, it's incredibly tricky. I think there some tips going around, like, place your sign somewhere with low affluence, wait at least a minute before you try to set it down again, have one of the two (usually the host) quit and restart the game, as that -might- switch him to a different server...
    Not exactly the friendliest system.

Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Yeah, it's incredibly tricky. I think there some tips going around, like, place your sign somewhere with low affluence, wait at least a minute before you try to set it down again, have one of the two (usually the host) quit and restart the game, as that -might- switch him to a different server...
    Not exactly the friendliest system.
    Also be at the same level. (to within about 5sl iirc)

10 soul levels plus 10% of the host player's level, I think (so if the host is 20, the client must be 8-32)

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhazor View Post
    Dark Souls sells over 2 million copies their response "We need to appeal to a wider audience"

Ugh.
    games now can be artistic expressions but developers also worry about their business.
    at the end of the day, it's really all about the money.

Network Hub
    That's reality. It's a business. After all, games have been created for money. :)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by harhis23 View Post
    That's reality. It's a business. After all, games have been created for money. :)
    Something often overlooked/misunderstood by many people.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

He who controls the Doge controls the universe

Network Hub
    This seems pretty insulting towards game developers, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by ambing1 View Post
    games now can be artistic expressions but developers also worry about their business.
    at the end of the day, it's really all about the money.
    In order to cater to a wider audience they might end up with a mediocre experience for everyone. Playing Demon's Souls the first time was something special. Playing Modern Warfare 3 clearly wasn't.

You should tell those people who make games for free.
    Last edited by Makariel; 10-12-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Makariel View Post
    In order to cater to a wider audience they might end up with a mediocre experience for everyone. Playing Demon's Souls the first time was something special. Playing Modern Warfare 3 clearly wasn't.

You should tell those people who make games for free.
    You don't get games like Dark Souls being made by people for free. You barely get any games made by people for free, because people have needs, like eating, housing, clothing. And before you link me to the one or two games that would prove my point otherwise, look at the total percentage those games make up compared to every other game on the planet that was made with the backing of money and to make money.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    They've made two unbelievably good games.

I trust them to make a third game that is awesome, more than I care what some crappy magazine preview says.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    You don't get games like Dark Souls being made by people for free.
    Of course not, it would be really stupid to assume this. Where did anyone claim that?

But there are plenty of games, music, pictures, wikipedia entries or operating systems that are made by people for free and in their spare time. Because some people have a job that pays for their needs and still have time to do things they consider fun. For some making a game is just fun. Will you drive to their house and force them to charge people to play?

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Regarding the "make it more appealing" argument:

Only assholes want to make something that will only be appealing to a small number of people. My opinion is that Dark Souls was difficult to the point of tedium, and I walked away without progressing too far (though I still put a decent number of hours into it). Reading up on the game, the creator seemed a little disappointed that a lot of people--and he'd probably lump me into that category--didn't "get" the game, leaving it to be a sort of wiki-focused cult classic rather than a widely appreciated title.

If I understand it correctly, they want to be a little less opaque and perhaps a little less off-putting about how the mechanics work so that more people will be able to push through the early parts of the game and appreciate the title as a whole rather than just walk away. I wouldn't call that selling out, although I honestly can't see how they could do that without making the game a hell of a lot easier, and since that seems to be the entire crux of the series I doubt that they will do so. So maybe expect a more developed plot or something, as if that is really what turns people off of this game.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinking with Skeletons View Post
    Only assholes want to make something that will only be appealing to a small number of people.
    wut

Are you saying all realism-inclined simulator devs, strategy devs, etc. are assholes?

Lesser Hivemind Node Drinking with Skeletons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by victory View Post
    wut

Are you saying all realism-inclined simulator devs, strategy devs, etc. are assholes?
    I mean that no one consciously says, "I hope that only about 1% of the gaming population will like this game." Relatively few people play strategy games because relatively few people like strategy games, not because the developers intentionally tried to exclude most players. (For the record, I love strategy games, and I know that there are more factors to their popularity than "not many people like them.")

If this one arrives sans GFWL, then I'm buying it yesterday.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!