Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rauten View Post
    Durante has already stated in NeoGaf he'll be ready and waiting if fixing is necessary again. Praise the Durante, so The Game might be mended.

That's... ugh... please, no. One of the strengths of both Demon and Dark Souls is how the story isn't quite told, but you have to explore and search for it. Still, from what I've read around the webs, Miyazaki still remains behind the scenes as an advisor, so there's still hope.
    Yeh I agree, half the fun is interpreting things for yourself.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    I think I do have a bit of a problem with it. It might seem odd, why should I care what experience other people are having when I can choose my own difficulty mode? I think the answer is in the multiplayer system.
    DaS2 will have dedicated servers, so that could solve this issue. I think it might be even better at creating a sense of community, actually.

As for the game being more straightforward: I don't necessarily mind, if they don't go overboard. I really like the subtlety, but DaS was outright obtuse at times. For instance, I don't think there is even a hint in-game to the existence and location of the Great Hollow and Ash Lake. If some NPC made a reference to it, some tiny spark to set you off on a search for it, I wouldn't mind.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadayi View Post
    I'll wait for the full article. I think it's a little pre-emptive to start getting into FUD.
    Haven't we seen enough IPs go down the same path over the years? Dark Souls is a very special game and I, like every other fan, want DS II to be the sequel that DS was to Demon's Souls, but I've had too many disappointments to feel optimistic about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Haven't we seen enough IPs go down the same path over the years? Dark Souls is a very special game and I, like every other fan, want DS II to be the sequel that DS was to Demon's Souls, but I've had too many disappointments to feel optimistic about this.

The game has literally just been announced, at least wait until you have some quantifiable information to moan about before you moan. :p

Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0 View Post
    DaS2 will have dedicated servers, so that could solve this issue. I think it might be even better at creating a sense of community, actually.

As for the game being more straightforward: I don't necessarily mind, if they don't go overboard. I really like the subtlety, but DaS was outright obtuse at times. For instance, I don't think there is even a hint in-game to the existence and location of the Great Hollow and Ash Lake. If some NPC made a reference to it, some tiny spark to set you off on a search for it, I wouldn't mind.
    Indeed. I think little things like that could benefit overall. Or have npcs repeat dialogue if you miss something important. I didn't have subtitles on at first, and with the muffled dialouge being so hard to understand, I had no idea where to go before I consulted a walkthrough and found that yes, there is a boss in Blighttown and I just had to cross the swamp instead of heading back up. I thought I had to go to New Londo at that stage, which was a bit confusing, and I had noone to talk to in game to find out where my goal was again.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    The game has literally just been announced, at least wait until you have some quantifiable information to moan about before you moan. :p
    Years of broken hopes have left me a broken man.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane View Post
    Wasn't Dark Souls something of a step back from Demon's Souls's'? Dark Souls wasn't AS difficult as Demons' Souls's. So you, and 'every other fan' (are you all on a mailing list or something?) want it to be even more simplified and 'easier'?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Pretty sure the main dude is still there in some capacity, so don't fret.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    While I liked figuring stuff out, I would like *some* guidance. I know you're not supposed to sell boss souls, but it'd be nice for it to be a little clearer on what you should keep so you don't end up having to trek back to a vendor to buy something you would have picked up if you'd check the wiki earlier.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    Wasn't Dark Souls something of a step back from Demon's Souls's'? Dark Souls wasn't AS difficult as Demons' Souls's. So you, and 'every other fan' (are you all on a mailing list or something?) want it to be even more simplified and 'easier'?
    Aye, didn't you get the invite?
    I'm playing Demon's Souls for the first time for the past few days and I haven't noticed it much difference in difficulty. And though I haven't seen anyone say that Dark Souls was easier, I do think it's a bit easier to get overpowered in Dark Souls with stuff like the Drake sword and pyromancy.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    Dark Souls is a game that I have a lot of respect for, but I haven't played it myself. I think the difficulty is just something that turns me off, even though in a lot of games it's the ease which eventually tastes bad. For some reason I've enjoyed the idea of Dark Souls as this hard core difficult game that you have to play to learn (like practice, not like grinding levels or resources) and the players who enjoy the game are loving that.

It isn't a game that interests me because it would probably just frustrate me, but I can see why so many people like it, and I respect games that try to be hard, or obtuse, or subtle...because those seem to be rare ambitions for developers of third person action games.

So maybe I'm the kind of gamer that they want to win over with Dark Souls II, but by adding ease-of-use, accessibility and more straightforwardness my opinion goes from that of respect to complete disinterest.

(Honestly I'm probably not the kind of gamer they want to win over.... I'm sure they've got their eyes set on some of the CoD console crowd)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Here's the site: http://www.darksoulsii.com/

Banned
    Hidetaka Miyazaki is still working on the game so I'm not worried, it is From afterall, I've been their bitch since the wonderful OTOGI.

People worried about the game becoming casual need to get a fucking grip and do some reading for themselves rather than misquoting misquotes from MCV of all places.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Hidetaka Miyazaki is still working on the game so I'm not worried, it is From afterall, I've been their bitch since the wonderful OTOGI.

People worried about the game becoming casual need to get a fucking grip and do some reading for themselves rather than misquoting misquotes from MCV of all places.
    I do not understand why people fear the possibility of maybe retuning the difficulty curve, or more likely just have difficulty levels. It is just the same elitist crap, gaming hipsters, "I am so unique and hardcore I play Demon/Dark Souls".

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byteCrunch View Post
    I do not understand why people fear the possibility of maybe retuning the difficulty curve, or more likely just have difficulty levels. It is just the same elitist crap, gaming hipsters, "I am so unique and hardcore I play Demon/Dark Souls".
    Because there are already a bazillion-quintizillion games with retuned difficulty curves, several difficulty levels to choose from and so on and so on. It feels good to have a small handful of games which are just hard, end of the story.
    Plus, how would you balance different difficulty settings for the multiplayer? Either you do some really weird on-the-fly difficulty retuning, or you screw up the community by splitting it into different servers for different difficulties.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    Dark Souls is a game that I have a lot of respect for, but I haven't played it myself. I think the difficulty is just something that turns me off, even though in a lot of games it's the ease which eventually tastes bad.
    Get it when it's cheap over Christmas. Even if you don't get that far with it, it's well worth experiencing and in truth it's not that hard once you get to grips with it. If you're in trouble...retreat the way you came...if you get killed then any souls you drop are recoverable because you know what to expect. Observation is king. When you're in an area look around and really take in what you see (esp what's above and below).

Because there are already a bazillion-quintizillion games with retuned difficulty curves, several difficulty levels to choose from and so on and so on. It feels good to have a small handful of games which are just hard, end of the story.
    Plus, how would you balance different difficulty settings for the multiplayer? Either you do some really weird on-the-fly difficulty retuning, or you screw up the community by splitting it into different servers for different difficulties.
    I'm sure they'll have it figured out and it will be a suitably Japanese solution our western brains can't see.
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Network Hub
    A game that is just hard? I fail to see how regulating the game through difficulty levels removes that factor in the slightest, as I said its just elitist crap, got to keep out those "casuals".

The difficulty is already set based on the whose "hosting" the game, the game is not server based, the servers just match-make. It's really not that complicated, games have been doing it for a very long time. Surely the oh so amazing players on the hardest difficulty wouldn't want to play with the riff-raff on normal. This childish attitude gamers have towards those they perceive as beneath them, has already bared itself it many games, Dark Souls II would hardly be unique in having a divided community.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    A game that is just hard? I fail to see how regulating the game through difficulty levels removes that factor in the slightest, as I said its just elitist crap, got to keep out those "casuals".
    Ok, fine, tune the difficulty, let the, in YOUR words, "casuals" in.
    I'll just say this: Ninja Gaiden 3.

The difficulty is already set based on the whose "hosting" the game, the game is not server based, the servers just match-make. It's really not that complicated, games have been doing it for a very long time. Surely the oh so amazing players on the hardest difficulty wouldn't want to play with the riff-raff on normal. This childish attitude gamers have towards those they perceive as beneath them, has already bared itself it many games, Dark Souls II would hardly be unique in having a divided community.
    Ok, fine. I roll a DarkWraith in the easiest possible setting, thus getting the best stuff is entirely possible at ridiculously low levels. Then I go and start invading people at the starter areas who might be at the highest difficulty setting, making their life impossible. That's not what I'd call fair. Which would send us back to either you do some weird stuff with difficulty when invading, or you split in separate servers based on difficulty, thus screwing the community up the pooch.
    Or maybe I start offering help through co-op thus eliminating the challenge.

Activated Node
    A crueler person than me might say that Dark Souls is already 'mainstream' and too 'accessible' in a hope to show the relativity of the statement.

People just want scalar quantifications like 'difficulty'/'accessibility' cut off just below their level. They decide a level that's perfect for them personally (or adapt to a game that's closest to it), and then state it as the level it has to be.

PC gamers laud the amount of choice that pc games allegedly offer, while 'widening the audience' is often linked to 'limiting options'.

Network Hub
    Ok, fine. I roll a DarkWraith in the easiest possible setting, thus getting the best stuff is entirely possible at ridiculously low levels. Then I go and start invading people at the starter areas who might be at the highest difficulty setting, making their life impossible. That's not what I'd call fair. Which would send us back to either you do some weird stuff with difficulty when invading, or you split in separate servers based on difficulty, thus screwing the community up the pooch.
    Or maybe I start offering help through co-op thus eliminating the challenge.
    Players trolling other players in a Souls game? Say it isn't so.

People like to work together in co-op? Damn them accepting totally optional help from another player, how dare they.