Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

"New" Gamespy turning off MP support for tons of older games

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't made the front page.

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/1...ithout-warning

In short, Gamespy's new owners have decided to start shutting down lots and lots of older MP servers with no warning whatsoever. Titles impacted include SotS1 (you can still do direct IP connect, thank goodness), Sniper Elite, both Neverwinter Nights, Microsoft Flight Simulator X, Swat 4 (dammit!), Hidden and Dangerous 2, Wings of War, Star Wars: Battlefront.

This is why every game needs a direct IP multiplayer option, you never know how long any service is going to be around, or continue supporting their older titles.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    Ok, so I don't play it and I don't know if I ever will.

But killing NWN1's multi?! I'm gonna go cry in a corner now.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus DaftPunk's Avatar
    So what now i can't play SWAT 4 anymore via online ?!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Wow, I always used to shout at developers like EA who dropped support. "game spy still works on 20 year and old games, your servers didn't even last 20 months".

Well, no longer.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    NWN1 uses Gamespy for it's matchmaking or what? I didn't realize that there was some sort of hub server for it... isn't it mostly just IP connections? Gamespy provides a server browser in game?

I used to use Gamespy to play any online game. It was basically what people use Steam for now, only way better because you didn't have to launch games through it, but you could optionally use it as a server browser, friend organizer thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Heliocentric View Post
    Wow, I always used to shout at developers like EA who dropped support. "game spy still works on 20 year and old games, your servers didn't even last 20 months".

Well, no longer.
    Yeah, a hell of a lot of history just winked out of existence.

Sad that it's happened, but don't some of these games have LAN support?

Surely you can still play multiplayer with something like Evolve or Hamachi?

Network Hub
    they axed rise of nations and blamed Microsoft. not sure what the story is

anyways there is Gameranger for some of these games

Grim and saddening stuff. We'll probably see a lot more of this soon too over the next year or so. I doubt GFWL will have as long a shelflife as Gamespy has had and it's clear that a lot of other services are only safe until they're sold (see OpenFeint on iOS for a recent example there).

Whilst we're fairly lucky that most Gamespy stuff on PC is legacy and I'm sure large amounts of slack will be picked up by communities because PC games, they've had a reasonable console presence up until recently and that's going to be interesting to see how that plays out and whether they'll try the closedown tactics there also.

Our rush to tie things to services isn't going to look quite so good in about five years from now, I'm sure.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times
    Steam

Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    they axed rise of nations and blamed Microsoft. not sure what the story is

anyways there is Gameranger for some of these games
    Does RoN's direct IP connection still work? That'd be an enormous loss, if not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Also, I vaugely recall that NWN DID have direct connect.

It sucks, but it happens. But this does provide a great opportunity for XFire/Raptr (are they the same thing?) or even Steam to step in and provide a solution to this.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    My teen years have just been erased.

Actually, that sounded like a good thing. In this case it's not.

Activated Node
    As long as they have the option to connect through LAN, Hamachi is there to keep people playing.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Also, I vaugely recall that NWN DID have direct connect.

It sucks, but it happens. But this does provide a great opportunity for XFire/Raptr (are they the same thing?) or even Steam to step in and provide a solution to this.
    NWN still has direct connections, you just can't use the server browser. The community already have a fix in place.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    What's the chance of a user made fix to go around this stuff?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkasaurusmex View Post
    NWN1 uses Gamespy for it's matchmaking or what? I didn't realize that there was some sort of hub server for it... isn't it mostly just IP connections? Gamespy provides a server browser in game?

I used to use Gamespy to play any online game. It was basically what people use Steam for now, only way better because you didn't have to launch games through it, but you could optionally use it as a server browser, friend organizer thing.
    Gamespy hosted the master server for NWN. With the master server dead, you have to rely on the direct IP connection method.

As for using Gamespy back in the day I loved it prior to the whole Gamespy Arcade thing, which is when they started to bloat it up. When it was just a server browser(Gamespy3D) it was great. You set up each game/mod individually(bit of a hassle, but allowed for custom configs between mods), it was easy to tell which servers were full/empty based on how the server icon looked, it had a favorites list, it told you in plain wording what mods a server was running, had good filter options for the time, and it had an auto-retry function for full servers. It was everything you could want in a server browser. And then they had to screw it up by doing the Gamespy Arcade thing, which started requiring account logins, serving ads, and stuff like that. And it didn't work as well as plain old Gamespy3D, in my opinion.

In hindsight it's funny to think how much I despised Gamespy Arcade then, yet I love Steam today. But I guess that's just a sign of how things change over the years. Gamespy Arcade was ambitiious and ahead of its time, I suppose.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    Gamespy hosted the master server for NWN. With the master server dead, you have to rely on the direct IP connection method.

As for using Gamespy back in the day I loved it prior to the whole Gamespy Arcade thing, which is when they started to bloat it up. When it was just a server browser(Gamespy3D) it was great. You set up each game/mod individually(bit of a hassle, but allowed for custom configs between mods), it was easy to tell which servers were full/empty based on how the server icon looked, it had a favorites list, it told you in plain wording what mods a server was running, had good filter options for the time, and it had an auto-retry function for full servers. It was everything you could want in a server browser. And then they had to screw it up by doing the Gamespy Arcade thing, which started requiring account logins, serving ads, and stuff like that. And it didn't work as well as plain old Gamespy3D, in my opinion.

In hindsight it's funny to think how much I despised Gamespy Arcade then, yet I love Steam today. But I guess that's just a sign of how things change over the years. Gamespy Arcade was ambitiious and ahead of its time, I suppose.
    To be fair, I think one big problem was that Gamespy Arcade was a seperate program. So you had to boot that, THEN let it boot you into the game. Whereas Steam is directly integrated into the game.

Of course, that doesn't explain why people didn't burn EA at the stake for Battlelog...
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    What's the chance of a user made fix to go around this stuff?
    That depends hugely on the game, I'd think. As noted, anything with a direct IP system isn't going to have a problem. As other folks here have pointed out, anything with a functioning LAN play option can be played with Gameranger/Hamachi/etc. The issue is going to be the games that lack either of those options, and I'm sure that applies to a few of them.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this yet - doesn't this make you guys the slightest bit worried about the future of Steampowered games?

EDIT: But on topic, this is pretty much devastating. :/ I still played Battlefront every now and then. Hoping Gameranger picks quite a few more of these up.
    Last edited by johnki; 10-12-2012 at 04:53 AM.

It doesn't make me worried about steampowered games, because I doubt Steam will go bust on quite a loooong time, and it won't be sold as long as Gaben is still alive.
    But as someone said, games wich connect via GFWL will see this happen, some years given.