Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    In hindsight it's funny to think how much I despised Gamespy Arcade then, yet I love Steam today. But I guess that's just a sign of how things change over the years. Gamespy Arcade was ambitiious and ahead of its time, I suppose.
    Computers are a lot faster now, where you can just have shit running in the background and barely making a dent in your memory or broadband connection while they do what they do.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorzan View Post
    But as someone said, games wich connect via GFWL will see this happen, some years given.
    Given Microsoft's half-assed managing of GFWL, I'm surprised that it hasn't already happened. Honestly, the only thing keeping it alive is, for lack of a better way of stating it, laziness on the side of developers when it comes to their PC ports. It's been proven time and time again to be a terrible, and hated, piece of software, but a handful of them keep insisting on using it because it means they can use the network framework that's already in place for xbox versions of games. I mean, it's apparent that Microsoft doesn't really care about the service, or else they would actually work on improving it rather than leaving it to flounder the way that it has.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by unruly View Post
    Gamespy hosted the master server for NWN. With the master server dead, you have to rely on the direct IP connection method.
    From a quick glance at the forums, people are either working on or have working a replacement master server, which you can get around with a quick patch or by editing your hosts file to point at the new one.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    From a quick glance at the forums, people are either working on or have working a replacement master server, which you can get around with a quick patch or by editing your hosts file to point at the new one.
    That generally happens with many older games.

Hell, XMP (the multiplayer for Unreal 2) had fan-supported master servers almost instantly after the (many) times the official one was killed.

And with games like Tribes 2 getting hacked to use alternative master servers, I honestly don't think this will be a problem for any game that is actually "still played".
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    anytime a community moves, not everyone makes that transition

this might effectively kill stuff like Rise of Nations and Civilization 4 for good

these aren't some shooters with sequels and clones that do it better... these are 2 strategy games that will probably never see anything similar for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed at the top of their genres for the next 10 or 20 years.
    Last edited by biz; 11-12-2012 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by biz View Post
    anytime a community moves, not everyone makes that transition

this might effectively kill stuff like Rise of Nations and Civilization 4 for good

these aren't some shooters with sequels and clones that do it better... these are 2 strategy games that will probably never see anything similar for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed at the top of their genres for the next 10 or 20 years.
    Never see anything similar to Civ4 for a long time?

Civ 5? It changed a few things, but has the same spirit
    Any other 4x game? Civ4 was basically a straight evolution of Civ3 which was a straight evolution of Civ2. And pretty much every 4x game that wasn't based on MoO was based on Civ 2 and 3.
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Network Hub
    civ4 is unique in that it's the only 4X game that was actually designed for multiplayer. it wasn't tacked on after the fact

financially, they consider it a mistake
    civ 5's multiplayer doesn't even work

civ is basically the only game with a large enough community for multiplayer to even work
    and even civ's developers don't consider multiplayer worthwhile because only a fraction of their player base cares about it. therefore it's highly unlikely that there will be anything similar in the foreseeable future

it isn't a stretch to say that outside of board/card games, civ 4 is the only multiplayer strategy game around

some RTS/FPS games do have strategic elements, but there's always some component that has nothing to do with strategy which must be mastered

Network Hub
    it isn't a stretch to say that outside of board/card games, civ 4 is the only multiplayer strategy game around
    The Total War series disagrees with your statement.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    civ4 is unique in that it's the only 4X game that was actually designed for multiplayer.
    I dispute this. But then 4X definitions are almost as disputed as rpg.

Sword of the stars, AI War and Colonisation disagree.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Pretty much. LOTS of 4x games have been designed with multiplayer in mind

The thing is: A 4x game can take a LONG time to play. That is why "Play by Email" and "Play by Post" are so popular.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by gundato View Post
    Pretty much. LOTS of 4x games have been designed with multiplayer in mind

The thing is: A 4x game can take a LONG time to play. That is why "Play by Email" and "Play by Post" are so popular.
    It seems like the most perfect genre for a play by facebook game. I haven't heard of any good play by facebook 4x, but I'm don't follow the genre that closely, just pick it up here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Internet View Post
    It seems like the most perfect genre for a play by facebook game. I haven't heard of any good play by facebook 4x, but I'm don't follow the genre that closely, just pick it up here and there.
    I vaguely recall hearing about something like that a while back and a quick google and this https://www.facebook.com/civworld suggests it might be real.

I'll still stick to play by email/dropbox though. Just more "fun" that way.