Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I wish I could make Quake I run acceptably, preferably with mouselook. I bought it on Steam and then hammered at it for a while, but even with various mods I couldn't get everything the way I wanted it.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mashakos's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    My take is that it NEEDS more than 2 Cores - my CPU (Athlon2 x2) is at 100% pretty-much constantly wheras my GPU runs at low utilisation even with some settings turned-up above 'Recommended' - and it's not better with everything on 'Low' so I'm fairly sure it's CPU-bound.
    ran it fine on max settings using a C2D E8400 and a GTX580. The cpu was overclocked to 4Ghz though.
    Steam profile
    PC Specs: I have a big e-peen

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    I wish I could make Quake I run acceptably, preferably with mouselook. I bought it on Steam and then hammered at it for a while, but even with various mods I couldn't get everything the way I wanted it.
    just use the quake hd mod pack:
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-hd-pack-guide
    saves a lot of headaches.
    Steam profile

Grim Fandango. There is a way, but I just haven't got around doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SirDavies View Post
    Grim Fandango. There is a way, but I just haven't got around doing it.
    WTF is all that complicated nonsense in the link you posted?
    Just use the Grim Fandango Launcher:
    http://quick.mixnmojo.com/software/g...dango-launcher
    Done. Took me 30 seconds to download the launcher and set up Grim Fandango in Vista when I first tried this out back in 2008.
    Steam profile

I bought a copy of Battleforge, once and somehow it recieved an error while it was updating. Tried it a few more times but no luck.
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

Watch me fail as Nobunaga

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    The only two games I've had problems with recently are Binding of Isaac (slows down when there's a lot going on in the game) and Super Meat Boy, which recently decided it didn't like full screen mode and ran about three times as fast as it should.

Both those I attribute to Team Meat being bad at programming (but good at making fun games when they run).

Blur runs less than 20fps and my GPU is from last year or so. Not a big loss though since didn't really like it. Although at proper FPS it had been nicer I suppose. There are couple of games from this year which I've bought (like Sleeping Dogs) that I've not tested yet, but don't have high hopes.

When I first bought Bulletstorm, it wouldn't run at all. Works OK on my new machine, though.

There were significant compatibility problems with Tex Murphy: Overseer that led to it being unrunnable.

GTA4 used to be like that for me until I upgraded my PC a year ago. If a new patch came out, or if I encountered some performance tweaks somewhere, I'd install it and then promptly delete it again when I failed to get it consistently above 20fps.

Other than that, I don't think there are any games that fit the bill. Some things I try to run on max settings sometimes and my PC can't quite handle it, but usually I'm content to just sacrifice some graphical quality to make the game playable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gwathdring's Avatar
    The entirety of my Steam for Linux collection. But that's what Beta testing (and Windows) is for.
    I think of [the Internet] as a grisly raw steak laid out on a porcelain benchtop in the sun, covered in chocolate hazelnut sauce. In the background plays Stardustís Music Sounds Better With You. Thereís lots of fog. --tomeoftom

You ruined his point by putting it in context thatís cheating -bull0

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    LOL!

Sorry but I seriously can't tell if this is real or in game

I feel strangely empowered and amazed

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Look at the wheels among other things.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Oh, I completely forgot. System Shock 2. Always wanted to try it, but the fan fixes didn't work for me.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    The only two games I've had problems with recently are Binding of Isaac (slows down when there's a lot going on in the game) and Super Meat Boy, which recently decided it didn't like full screen mode and ran about three times as fast as it should.

Both those I attribute to Team Meat being bad at programming (but good at making fun games when they run).
    It's because they're Flash and Flash, frankly, sucks ass in gaming performance terms...

It's been stretched to the limit really - it started-out as a simple multimedia animation tool and now people are making whole games with it - and Adobe really aren't interested in fixing it because they've just milked it to death.

I've owned GTA IV since it came out on PC and have had around 3.5 builds since then. None. None have ever made it work.
    Oh and Planetside 2 just wont go above 15 fps. But then it's not so bad, I can't get over the pew pew pew plastic toy guns.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mashakos View Post
    LOL!

Note - I was referring to the quality you get when it's running at a playable speed - you can certainly ramp-up the visuals (there are mods WAY better than that) but the game will be unplayable on anything short of a supercomputer.

Also - there's a danger that Piers Morgan will appear in that screenshot - which scares me

Discworld Noir and Bladerunner are two adventure games which gave me a lot of joy when i was but a wee lad, neither of which i've ever quite been able to get running in windows 7, or XP for that matter.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Note - I was referring to the quality you get when it's running at a playable speed - you can certainly ramp-up the visuals (there are mods WAY better than that) but the game will be unplayable on anything short of a supercomputer.

Also - there's a danger that Piers Morgan will appear in that screenshot - which scares me
    It' doesnt run badly on an i7 920 @stock speeds/GTX 560ti looking like this: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...l=1#post216612

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by qizarate View Post
    Discworld Noir and Bladerunner are two adventure games which gave me a lot of joy when i was but a wee lad, neither of which i've ever quite been able to get running in windows 7, or XP for that matter.
    uh...
    really? those two games (Noir a bit more) are in top ten of games i want to play (old games that is).
    even win98 installed on virtual machine?

i could not make pirated copy of nomand soul work on xp either :( so sad.