Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Gabe Newell: Living Room PCs will compete with next gen consoles

http://kotaku.com/5966860/kotaku.com...h-out-consoles

Steam's Big Picture mode was just the first step: according to Valve boss Gabe Newell, you'll be able to buy a living-room-friendly PC package next year.

Speaking to me during a brief interview on the red carpet at the VGAs last night, Newell said Valve's current goal was to figure out how to make PCs work better in the living room. He said the reaction to Steam's TV-friendly Big Picture interface has been "stronger than expected," and that their next step is to get Steam Linux out of beta and to get Big Picture on that operating system, which would give Valve more flexibility when developing their own hardware.

He also expects companies to start selling PC packages for living rooms next year—setups that could consist of computers designed to be hooked up to your TV and run Steam right out of the gate. And yes, Newell said, they'd compete with next-gen consoles from companies like Microsoft and Sony.

"I think in general that most customers and most developers are gonna find that [the PC is] a better environment for them," Newell told me. "Cause they won't have to split the world into thinking about 'why are my friends in the living room, why are my video sources in the living room different from everyone else?' So in a sense we hopefully are gonna unify those environments."

Newell said he's expecting a lot of different companies to release these types of packages—"We'll do it but we also think other people will as well," he told me—and that Valve's hardware might not be as open-source or as malleable as your average computer.

"Well certainly our hardware will be a very controlled environment," he said. "If you want more flexibility, you can always buy a more general purpose PC. For people who want a more turnkey solution, that's what some people are really gonna want for their living room.

"The nice thing about a PC is a lot of different people can try out different solutions, and customers can find the ones that work best for them."

I also asked Newell what sort of software they're working on these days. He wouldn't give specifics, but he did reiterate that they're working on their next-generation engine—which he said will work with next-generation consoles as well.

"Hopefully that's gonna give us some interesting opportunities on the game side," he said.

It seems poor gaben isn't aware that PCs aimed at the living room are already out

Last edited by NoodleFighter; 08-12-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NoodleFighter View Post
    It seems poor gaben isn't aware that PCs aimed at the living room are already out
    These aren't exactly mainstream machines though. Either way, I'm not exactly their target market when it comes to hardware. Can't imagine myself ever gaming on a couch and I can hook my rig to a TV any time I like.

Obviously, getting an open platform competition into the the living room is good.

Smart move. The pc taking over the living room is the next logical step in gaming. The law of technological convergence dictates it to be so.
    Although I would love it if steam made some sort of device that could allow me to connect my gaming rig to my television wirelessly. Like a sort of wireless HDMI cord, maybe with an option to automatically display big picture on that end. I don't know how possible that is considering I'm not exactly an engineer, all I know is that I would completely buy that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus gundato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    Smart move. The pc taking over the living room is the next logical step in gaming. The law of technological convergence dictates it to be so.
    Although I would love it if steam made some sort of device that could allow me to connect my gaming rig to my television wirelessly. Like a sort of wireless HDMI cord, maybe with an option to automatically display big picture on that end. I don't know how possible that is considering I'm not exactly an engineer, all I know is that I would completely buy that.
    Those devices already exist. They are wonderful for watching videos, not so much for gaming due to drastically increased latency between actions and results.
    Steam: Gundato
    PSN: Gundato
    If you want me on either service, I suggest PMing me here first to let me know who you are.

Valve has also said they'll be making their own console like PC
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/8/37...oom-steam-box#

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoodleFighter View Post
    Valve has also said they'll be making their own console like PC
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/8/37...oom-steam-box#
    I called that one 4 years ago. The so-called savior of PC gaming will be the death of it yet.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    I called that one 4 years ago. The so-called savior of PC gaming will be the death of it yet.
    how? strength of pc lies in its hardware power and its open platform. this is not something valve can destroy. sans why it cannot be pc gaming death.

therefore
    please explain yourself.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    From a translated article written by Valve's economist:

At the time period between March till June I went back to Valve and we begun a research program of systematic study of their economies. Within a few days we had the first results that shed light on the way prices are determined and how arbitrage is fluctuating. At the same time, I got the chance to “see the future”. You see, in addition to their game software, Valve has started developing hardware. Worried by Microsoft’s and Apple’s tendency to claim a bigger and bigger cut of its profits (in order to allow users access to Valve games through the computers that run their software), Valve has started experimenting with its own machines that give you the ability to run these games without a (Microsoft or Apple-controlled) computer. I’ve signed an NDA so I can’t reveal much more. I’ll just say that I really saw the future. (it’s not a small deal to see a virtual but highly realistic alien stand beside a real human in the same room with you, walk around the room and wink at you. And all that without a screen, a projector or even a computer near you…)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Lukasz's Avatar
    Kicks... was that the reply to me?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    No, I just thought it's a cool tidbit.

Yeah, I mean clearly, propagating open platform standards is going to kill the open platform that PC is...

I'm wary of this. Much of the target audience for enthusiast-grade PCs don't have much interest in hooking their rig up to a TV to play games when they have a monitor (or more) that outperforms it. Moreover, the console audience (who this might alternatively be targeted at) doesn't like the idea of spending more than a certain amount of money on hardware. Then again, I can't speak for everyone, and it could be a decent media-centre style solution.

Though, I'll probably wait 'till I hear more about these packages in the future before passing judgement. It's not really a bad idea, but there's a lot of details that Valve has yet to divulge.

Two words when it comes to costs: Steam sales.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Noyemi K View Post
    I'm wary of this. Much of the target audience for enthusiast-grade PCs don't have much interest in hooking their rig up to a TV to play games when they have a monitor (or more) that outperforms it. Moreover, the console audience (who this might alternatively be targeted at) doesn't like the idea of spending more than a certain amount of money on hardware. Then again, I can't speak for everyone, and it could be a decent media-centre style solution.

Though, I'll probably wait 'till I hear more about these packages in the future before passing judgement. It's not really a bad idea, but there's a lot of details that Valve has yet to divulge.
    I'm guessing there are more than two kinds of people, and this will aim at a third demographic who would appreciate aspects of the PC and consoles coming together.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakkura View Post
    I'm guessing there are more than two kinds of people, and this will aim at a third demographic who would appreciate aspects of the PC and consoles coming together.
    There's also the Ouya taking aim at this market. I'm hopeful for both the steam box (whatever form it takes) and the Ouya, but I'm also worried. Of course, I'd like nothing more than to see new consoles or console-likes push aside the current kings of the living room. Moreover, the PC packages these guys are coming out with will definitely be a superior media centre platform than consoles have been trying to be for the past 6 years.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sparkasaurusmex's Avatar
    I've had a "Console PC" for years. I also have an XBox, but the PC gets played a lot more. Of course most of my gaming is done on my desktop monster, but for controller type games or local multiplayer I love the TV PC. (also great for watching movies/netflix)

The thing is, all we needed really was an HDMI out on graphics cards. I fear what it will mean when there is actual software focus on PCs being in the living room. Just keep the platform versatile and we can have PCs where ever we want, doing what we want.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by His Master's Voice View Post
    Yeah, I mean clearly, propagating open platform standards is going to kill the open platform that PC is...
    Read the article, it's a locked down platform.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    It sounds like an attempt to outconsole consoles. I'm skeptical. Not because it can't be done, but because it may lead to some unpleasant places.
    pass

Read the article, it's a locked down platform.
    If the reaction of mobile communities to locked down bootloaders on smartphones and Valve's current stance is anything to go by, I doubt this'll mean you won't be able to replace SteamOS with a Linux distribution of your own choice.

I can see Valve putting their weight behind an ARM based PC... that would be an interesting development.
    Looking for you daily bundle fix? Join us on The onward march of bundles
    Stalk my Steam profile, or follow my fight against the backlog on HowLongToBeat.

"You take the Klingon's detached hand"

I built a high end HTPC some time ago. And I can confirm it's competing with my SNES.