Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Because funnily enough, no-one needs to dress that up. No-one needs to hide it away and pretend it doesn't happen because helping PC gaming and the PC gaming ecosystem to thrive and making money from that are not mutually exclusive things.
    The point I was making is that their primary motivation with Steam is still to make money, it isn't principally out there for the good of gamers like a benevolent charity or something. If it stopped making money it wouldn't exist. I never suggested they should be apologetic for that (because they're a business, a business that doesn't make money is bad).

Yes, but that's just trying to earn a Captain Obvious badge for being Captain Obvious, surely? Everyone knows that they'll make money -as well-. It's not a great revelation that everyone is missing out on, it's taken as read, it's a given, it just is a thing.

With the Steambox, they're expanding the customer base for PC games even further. Yes, the box Valve will be putting out is a turnkey solution, yes, it will have Steam up front and center, that's the point. And yes, Valve will make money from this.

But! The games that run on the Steambox will also run on a Windows. And if Valve have their way, on a Mac and on Linux also as they're constantly pushing outwards, yes it ultimately benefits Valve also but this kind of push benefits everyone who uses a PC in some small way. It makes the PC more attractive to pubs because they can make money here and so on and so forth. It makes it more attractive to players because hey, here be games. And to hardware manufacturers because hey, here be people wanting hardware to play games.

And if you can't tell the difference between that and what Microsoft are pushing towards with their 3 screens policy, I don't honestly know if there's any single thing that can be said to convince you because they're like, complete opposite policies. And that is why there's no hypocrisy.
    My actions are in no way born out of some sort of Darwinist offensive
    I just get a bit fidgety times

Ignore the three screens nonsense, I'm commenting on how people (and GabeN based on interview comments) aren't pleased about a Windows Store (which has no impact on x86 apps or Steam) yet would welcome a SteamOS with Steam as the store.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by soldant View Post
    Interesting... perhaps you'd like to explain why?
    Because it's laughably easy to crack. That was my angle here, not user-friendliness.

Ignore the three screens nonsense, I'm commenting on how people (and GabeN based on interview comments) aren't pleased about a Windows Store (which has no impact on x86 apps or Steam) yet would welcome a SteamOS with Steam as the store.
    Yes, I know and I also know that it's only by ignoring stuff like "the three screens nonsense" and any and all relevant information about a companies actions, intent and effect on the marketplace that what you're saying gets close to making the slightest bit of sense.
    Last edited by RobF; 12-12-2012 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobF View Post
    Yes, I know and I also know that it's only by ignoring stuff like "the three screens nonsense" and any and all relevant information about a companies actions, intent and effect on the marketplace that what you're saying gets close to making the slightest bit of sense.
    Yes, because everyone except Valve are evil.

Obviously. Anything else would just be stupid.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    I hope your mother slaps you.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    ...with a toaster.
    You bunch of hypocrites. What's wrong with stating out the obvious fact that women are generally bad at machines?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    You bunch of hypocrites. What's wrong with stating out the obvious fact that women are generally bad at machines?
    I'm not laughing at you. I'm watching a funny scene in Misfits.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    So because your mother is bad with a computer all women are bad with machines?

It's not a fact, it's your opinion.

I have a serious problem with the concept that business can't make money while having principles or good intentions.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    What the fuck is wrong with you?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Attack thenarrative like a radiant suicide

Incidentally if you think I'm arguing over the definition of a monopoly, I'm not - HMV's first response to me was over the term "walled garden" which is what we're disagreeing about. If you think I'm talking about the definition of a monopoly, you're not reading properly. I've never disputed the meaning of monopoly, except to disagree with someone who decided that the adjective "near" can't be used. I've consistently stated that Valve don't have a monopoly, but they definitely are aiming in that direction and it's clear that they would love to have a near-monopoly on digital distribution for gaming. And the fans would love that too. Plenty of retail games now require Steam, they've made major inroads to that goal already.
    Fair enough, that's what I thought you were arguing- I read into it incorrectly.

Banned
    Logic and facts that go against any group of people(except white males) are considered taboo in western culture.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Logic and facts that go against any group of people(except white males) are considered taboo in western culture.
    Fact - I need oxygen to live.
    Opinion - Women are bad at machinery. (edit this is not my opinion but an example of one)

I don't know what part of the world you live in but god help the women there.
    Last edited by Jesus_Phish; 12-12-2012 at 02:36 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    What logic?

What facts?

Your ass is not a peer-reviewed journal.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

WOAHOHOHO okay gentlemen, let's not be silly and derail this thread, shall we?
    Art blog here.

Doodles poodles sheboodles

I am SO​ going to steal this line.

Usually because the "logic and facts" people come up in those cases are pulled out of the asses of people who have no idea what the fuck they're talking about.

You've provided the perfect example already.
    Virtual Pilot 3Dô NEVER NOT SCAM!

Mine is. [citation needed]