Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Planetside 2 NC outfit: A short reflection, and a request.

Freedom friday was started early on during the beta of planetside 2 as a gathering of gentlemen from the Arps community, Rps community and from the Rps chat. It was created to encourage team play and a more "focused" approach to the game. We rarely reached 12 members of a squad, but we still made a difference.

When the beta ended and the game was released, our numbers exploded to platoon strength, 50 man strong. However, as was to be expected, numbers dropped after released. The rate of this drop has been rather drastic, 3 weeks after release and its already a challenge to raise a force of 15-20 men. Much of this is made up of a dedicated core of players who are active both in-game and on these forums.

The reasoning behind this post is simple. I want to turn that very dedicated 20 in to an even more dedicated 40, 60, 80 and so on. I know it's early days and I may be overreacting, but we have a good thing going here and I don't want to see this outfit fall apart and be forgotten 6 months down the line, I want to see it grow and become a force to be reckoned with on miller.

I end this rather long reflection (sorry!) with a request. Next Friday, please come play with us on miller! We need people who want to play a great game with a great bunch of people and maybe stick around for a while longer. If you're still on the fence about getting "into" planetside, then next week's a great chance to make your mind up. Bring you friends along!

And if you don't like it, fine, I won't hold that against you, stranger from the internet .

-wafflynumber

I would have happily joined, alas SOE removed cross-faction characters on same server and I have Alpha Squad package on current account, plus Smedley has confirmed they will in the future have StationCash unlocks be for all characters. And well, Vanu have better health plan

If SOE removes the cross-faction character limit, I'm there as I would like to have one character for every empire and already got my Vanu (Miller) and Terran (Lithcorp).
    Steam: krusader83 | Origin: Sceptrum
    Planetside 2: SceptrumVS (Miller) : SceptrumNC (Cobalt) : SceptrumTR (Cobalt)

Activated Node
    Would you consider moving to another server? I think that a lot of people are in more active Vanu group - the game is expensive if one wants to buy weapons and cert increase is quite slow - making having two separate accounts a problem.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Bankrotas's Avatar
    Vanu always offers free education for neandarthals too, it does not matter, what your personal beliefs are. Just take this mind nanobot pill, it's completely harmless and you get free giraffe!
    Hear from the spirit-world this mystery:
    Creation is summed up, O man, in thee;
    Angel and demon, man and beast art thou,
    Yea, thou art all thou dost appear to be!

Activated Node
    Evolve or perish

JK, as soon as the cross faction stuff kicks in I'll probably be making some new characters.

I'd play with you, but there were more Vanu people on. And pretty much all my playtime is in my Vanu char, so I have some upgrades on that guy.

Also, lasers.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    First of all, even with fewer numbers the freedom fridays are still great. We just need to be more picky about our objectives (and pick them ourselfs instead of the higher chain of command). Last friday we where able (with only 10-15% NC presence on Amerish) to take regions around the TR warpgate. We forced them to pull back and hunt us down. How many where we, 20-30?

The numbers don't matter, they just give us a reason to go after bigger targets. But if we go that way then we need more structure, and a slightly better set-up. Like last friday, the main reason we where pushed back in the beginning was the lack of the good counter aggainst what we faced. We faced air when we where prepared for anti armor, and vice versa.

On the other hand, do the crazy stuff and we seem to be victorius. On that note, anyone know a good workshop around any of the NC warpgates? I want to fit a barbecue on my sunderer so we can try to fry some purple giraffe meat next week. I heared rumours that, when proper tenderized with bullets, they taste rather well.
    Last edited by Dominicus; 10-12-2012 at 12:44 PM.

Obscure Node
    Already Vanu myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    On the other hand, do the crazy stuff and we seem to be victorius. On that note, anyone know a good workshop around any of the NC warpgates? I want to fit a barbecue on my sunderer so we can try to fry some purple giraffe meat next week. I heared rumours that, when proper tenderized with bullets, they taste rather well.
    Only with a dash of grenade spices
    On serious note, after race on Mallory, I considered remaking my char to NC, since you were as great as the Giraffe squad, but I really was scared, that you're not as active as giraffes.
    Anyways it doesn't matter now, since I wait for either new laptop or my old one to be repaired, which will take 3 weeks :/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    A problem I had with the more recent events was that we kept going where the big fight was, ultimately to be crunched by the TR/VS zerg. This tends to be a problem with NC on Miller as the frontlines on all continents tend to be short, crunched in between TR and VS. I prefer going where the fight is not and instead cutting off enemy supply routes or other more commando-style stuff (e.g. as we blocked off an enemy magrider route).

20-30 men is a great tactics, for that, Wolfenswan.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Wolfenswan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankrotas View Post
    20-30 men is a great tactics, for that, Wolfenswan.
    That or even fewer. The NC outfit doesn't have the strength numbers-wise to repel a zerg or organized attack, simply by "being there". But I'd argue that we could make or break an assault by harassing the enemy at the satellites or their nearest vehicle/air spawn. Even if we fail, it's more fun than the constant spawn-shoot-die-spawn game of fighting inside a Biolab/Techplant.

I think Waffly, Ayam, Varrus and the others I may have forgotten have been doing a great job so far, what I'm suggesting is a small change in philosophy to accommodate for our (temporary?) lack in numbers.
    Last edited by Wolfenswan; 10-12-2012 at 03:27 PM.

How is it on non friday day's the traitor outfit gathering?

Not sure where to start on this one. Well, the weekend itself was great. As a double exp weekend, I think the priority should have been on finding conflict and getting stuck in. On Fri and Sat there was some amount of this, which I agreed with, but I remember there being a fair bit of sneakage as light assaults across mountain ranges. Great idea, execution was frustrating, though, since looking at badly textured rock for stretched of up to 15 minutes wasn't particularly fun. Especially for those who couldn't quite make some climbs and slid down to the very start, or were picked off by those mosquitoes (which, actually, was really good fun to combat and try to lose).

Sunday was the bomb, though. Absolutely gelled 100% as a full squad with decent AA capabilities amongst an all round ace setup. The adventure started with seeing an enemy lightning turret poking over a ridge, charging over and ended up in keeping that copse with the weird rock formation free with mines, bullets and rockets as VS struggled to get any air superiority due... and I don't hesitate to say this for once - due to our little setup on the side. Eventually got turfed out but what an amazing build up. There was also a great holdout of a base against TR odds against us, then reinforcements rolled in when sht was getting too thick, it was good.

It was a medium ground between the zerg and empty caps that we found constantly on Sunday that made things excellent. I think if we can keep an eye out to discern signs of such in the future, there will be places we can go to find a fair fight. I don't like being zerged, neither do I like zerging, Sunday was perfect. I'll come on to how we can swell numbers in a later post, already typed too much. But if I can fill a 10 minute 'amayuzing moments' video with you goofballs just from 3 nights' playing (and a bit), we're doing something pretty darn right.

This sounds right down my alley! I've been playing on Ceres for quite a bit, but mostly solo and with a friend. Needless to say, our endeavours were mostly aimless. I'm more of the sneaky type, prefer Infiltrator and Light Assault to actually being seen and shot at. My friend mostly plays Medics.
    So, if you have room for one or two more (I'll try to get my friend to join, too) we'll gladly lend our poor aim and ridiculously low FPS to the fight and migrate to Miller.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Dominicus's Avatar
    A suggestion for friday, as you want to attract more people to the NC. Why not set one squad up for new people. Set an friendly (you know, someone who does not do barrel rolls with a full galaxy :P) squad leader who can explain more and guide the newer members.

Planetside does a piss poor job of explaining anything to new players and adding the "group" part to that might scare people off. With 40 people in mumble it might be scary for some to ask questions. And if you don't know what is happening or why the group does stuff ruins part of the fun.

Besides, if we pick up the newer players we can teach ("brainwash") them of the rightfull ways of freedom. We just need to create a Pavlov reaction that they start to shoot as soon as they see purple giraffe skin. Shouldn't be to hard.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominicus View Post
    A suggestion for friday, as you want to attract more people to the NC. Why not set one squad up for new people. Set an friendly (you know, someone who does not do barrel rolls with a full galaxy :P) squad leader who can explain more and guide the newer members.

Planetside does a piss poor job of explaining anything to new players and adding the "group" part to that might scare people off. With 40 people in mumble it might be scary for some to ask questions. And if you don't know what is happening or why the group does stuff ruins part of the fun.

Besides, if we pick up the newer players we can teach ("brainwash") them of the rightfull ways of freedom. We just need to create a Pavlov reaction that they start to shoot as soon as they see purple giraffe skin. Shouldn't be to hard.
    this has been throught of myself and i have plans for this, but that i will talk to you all about on friday, i feel sat would be better for this as sat is are more fun playing around and what not. and i have started a thread for are outfit to help organize things. but for new players ill be setting up squad play, in which ill show you everything i can, how to set up the settings, and a tour like thing also we will be trying to organizing mumble abit more again ill explain more on firday and in my thread as it evolves

I'd just like to note that from a new person's perspective the NC outfit comes off as very friendly and inviting. The atmosphere is relaxed and people seem willing to explain things to you.

It is always, however, good to have times set aside specifically for people interested in getting into the game so the explaining of certain mechanics don't have to be over the sound of a mosquito shooting rockets in your face.
    BobHound - EVE Online

How are your numbers on non-friday gaming?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mickygor's Avatar
    I've disappeared, but I've not gone. BT are being dicks and won't set up internet in my house until late january/early february. Something about celebrating a holiday or something...
    Itsbastiat, Dawngate
    Bastiat, Planetside 2, Miller NC
    Therin Khatta, FFXIV, Cerberus