Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Return Of The Perp: Perpetuum Online Goes One Payment To Rule Them All

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/

Ive got three accounts with a life sub, and Statecorp (STC for short) is the most active corporation in the game! Founded by our very own Master Rossignol, Mr Tux is now its proud CEO and leads every remaining member or ally to glory!

Also, Gamma will be reset, which means if you join up when the "Free To Playish" hits, you might get to shape the new world!

For Science™!

If you need an invite when it comes along, just write something here, Ill get an officer to read your "applications"!
    - Tom De Roeck.

monochrom & verse publications

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

I want to care, but I was actually talking to some guys about getting back into Eve. I guess I could do both...
    Steam: tryqus

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Think I hit over 3 months when I was playing in STC, will have to check my accounts.

well atleast this way, you can jump in for the sweet sweet pvp action. There are certain events that have a great chance of action, and Im sure if you have older accounts (or newer ones) the corp can provide bots for you to crash into the enemy? Point and shoot!

We have wonderful commanders too, so dont worry about direction ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Come on down and join the party. If you guys are returning players I will most likely remember you (No promises), if your new, PM Martha Stuart, Shadowphile, Burial, or Tux, and we will get you all set up. You can also join the "RPS" channel in game and talk to one of our recruiters.

P.S. Fat kids are harder to steal!

You probably don't remember me ;3.

Quote Originally Posted by Nim.Was.Taken View Post
    You probably don't remember me ;3.
    If only he could be so lucky.

I remember you, but mostly as a name on the roster ;D

Anyhow, if perp is free, it definitely fits the "everyone meet up on saturdays" kind of deal where everyone can go hunting without the necessary industrial business. Im sure the more industreous people would love us old people come and help out if the russians come back in droves.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Hey, i just discovered Perpetuum from the post today on the main site. Being an UO and EVE veteran, i was immediately interested by the open world pvp, player run economy and other aspects of the game that, on paper, sound great.

I'd like to ask some questions tho, and me and my wife might join one day later on.
    So, most importantly, how time consuming is the game? I quit EVE back in the day because of endless nights of camping gates... Our current life isn't compatible with such things, with kids and work and all... Are you able to pop on, play as much as you can (we do play a lot, just don't like "obligations" such as "show to raids" and stuff like that), or you are required to be on at specific times, etc?

Other than that, how's the general gameplay like? Is it really player run economy, modeable world? Is the combat system target/skill based or is it like in most MMOs (click and your skill always lands).
    Are there crime systems, quests, long-lasting/permanent buildings (like in UO?) ?
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenas. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

General Gameplay:
    - Industry, Market and all that is player run. You gather minerals or plants then you can, if you have the proper prototype, make items off of a template. Some item templates are artefact scanning/enemy drop only, but everything can be sold or traded directly, so theres never a real shortage. There are some trade moguls that set a certain price for certain minerals, and as far as I know, the worth relatively stays the same.

- There is gate camping, yes, but if youre limited in time, Im sure you can just drop by in the more interesting times, if youre low on time but willing to learn the combat ropes, Im sure STC will give you a slightly better than basic set of stuff to throw at the enemy. After all, the russians dont sleep either ;D

- There are bases to capture, and there is land to claim; the GAMMA islands are going to be reset for the steam release, meaning all corporation bases that were built for billions of credits will be wiped and everyone gets a chance of staking a claim. The land there is somewhat moddable, you can build huge fortresses, or just small outposts. They cost huge amounts of resources though, but STC doesnt have a deficiency ;D

- there is no crime, since there is no police. there are alpha islands which are safe from PVP, which is where most people keep their expensive shit. There are teleport beacons which let you jump to any gate on an island, or skip islands with the INTERZONE TELEBEACON, upto a range of 5000 or 50.000Km, I forgot.

- combat. combat is dependant on a many a factor. there are ECMs, ECCMs, Maskers, Detectors, etc. You can only see robots that either are huge/industry with a default range per chassis type, or you have a detector one to boost your detection range. your allies only see what their chassis can see, there is no shared intel except that you can draw on the map or send pings or whatever. The actual combat is clicking buttons, but these buttons can also be set to autofire. It can be extremely satisfying to tear someone up with mass drivers or miniguns. There are a plethora of different tactical possibilities for configuring bots, my favourite is still the Machine Gun Artemis, which lands critical hits every 1.5 seconds because of its firing rate. There are also indirect-ish firing weapons, such as the missiles, but there arent any "cheating" skills like artillery strikes or whatever. it is just you and your bot, and whatever you have on.

If you die, you lose it. If they die, they lose it. Its a high stakes robot punching game ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

Hey mate, thanks for the heads up.
    So far, sounds quite EVEish, which is kinda good :)

Some more questions now:

What's the scale of the game, in terms of what you can do? In eve you can be a tiny little frigate or a billion credits titan or mothership, with prices, skills stakes and actual tactical importance changing drastically.

Is the whole thing more "tactical" or more "action" ?

What major systems are there in place ? Quests? Resource gathering ops? Dedicated production line bases? Piracy? Exploring?
    And more importantly, how do these systems tie in together? Is there any incentive to do this or that, or there's just stuff to do just because?
    --
    -- V. Don Quixote. Tyler Durden. Donnie Darko. Martin Sillenas. Maynard. Rorschach. You. Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback View Post
    Hey mate, thanks for the heads up.
    So far, sounds quite EVEish, which is kinda good :)

Some more questions now:

What's the scale of the game, in terms of what you can do? In eve you can be a tiny little frigate or a billion credits titan or mothership, with prices, skills stakes and actual tactical importance changing drastically.

Is the whole thing more "tactical" or more "action" ?

What major systems are there in place ? Quests? Resource gathering ops? Dedicated production line bases? Piracy? Exploring?
    And more importantly, how do these systems tie in together? Is there any incentive to do this or that, or there's just stuff to do just because?
    I dont know how much the mission system has changed, but there is no "goal" if you will. I mean, T4 is the max tech, and if you can run a fully kitted T4 bot, then thats the awesomest, but the experience points you gain anyway.

Essentially, its a free for all corp vs corp vs all type of thing :D

You can do just industry, you can just concentrate on killing and hunting NPCs, or just go for artifact hunting. In combat, you can stick to the EWAR mechs or continue working in the tiniest invisible bots providing precious intel or ECM. etc.

Or destroy everyone.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Quote Originally Posted by QuantaCat View Post
    I dont know how much the mission system has changed, but there is no "goal" if you will. I mean, T4 is the max tech, and if you can run a fully kitted T4 bot, then thats the awesomest, but the experience points you gain anyway.

Essentially, its a free for all corp vs corp vs all type of thing :D

You can do just industry, you can just concentrate on killing and hunting NPCs, or just go for artifact hunting. In combat, you can stick to the EWAR mechs or continue working in the tiniest invisible bots providing precious intel or ECM. etc.

Or destroy everyone.
    But how do you win?

Quote Originally Posted by Nim.Was.Taken View Post
    But how do you win?
    oh I forgot to mention: kill. all. the. russians. make them cry and log off and never return.
    - Tom De Roeck.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Xercies's Avatar
    I'm very interested in this, I love EVE Online and this sounds very similar and since they are resetting the gamma and stuff I might be able to get into the thing that fascinated me with EVE Online but I could never get into cause it was just controlled by these mega corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Xercies View Post
    I'm very interested in this, I love EVE Online and this sounds very similar and since they are resetting the gamma and stuff I might be able to get into the thing that fascinated me with EVE Online but I could never get into cause it was just controlled by these mega corps.
    well, or you just join one of the mega corps, in this case STC ;D
    - Tom De Roeck.

You still got an account?

I still have 3. Havent paid for them in a while, but as soon as youve subbed 3 months at one point, you get a lifetime account out of it.
    - Tom De Roeck.

And here is a video of some PVP action not too long ago:

- Tom De Roeck.

I have to admit that this does look very interesting. How did I miss this game before?

I'll have a look tonight to see if I can find it and drop by to see if I can join STC

Just out of interest do you have a lot of players in EU timezones?