Network Hub

Ode to (Mojangs's) Scrolls

In this post I am going to attempt to get the fine folks at RPS to pay attention to Scrolls.

But first things first - this post is written for the casual players of CCG. Not the competitive players. If you already are a veteran of CCGs and /or competitive, let me save you some time: click away. I myself being a Noob, everything I say will probably sound wrong to you.

For the rest of you, sit around the fireplace and grab a mug of mead.

Here's the thing. I mostly suck at CCGs but I can't help but love them. I play them on and off. I play some Hearthstone, some Hex, and I even tried some Magic. I can't build a good deck to save my life, and the meta sounds like the name of a rock band. My win rate is atrocious.

One might argue there is no such ting as playing CCGs casually. One might also argue that it's too grindy. And that may well be true.

The first time I got into Scrolls (bought into the Beta) I bounced off it. I just didn't really get it. It was damn hard, and weird. It has a playing board. Positioning really matters. It has timers. I was lost.

Months latter I came back. Wow. Some really nice UI improvements. And man I really dig the art on the cards. It's just goddam beautiful. It now has an "academy" with lots of resources to learn and understand the game. It has a super fun and challenging AI, and a metric ton of Trials - scenarios with a special initial setup that allow you to learn strategies.

Win a few games against the AI and you unlock full starter decks. I have about 60 games under my belt (pretty much all vs AI and Trials) and I have access to 3 of the 4 factions pre-constructed decks.

And here's the weirdest thing: the community is incredibly polite and helpful. I just cannot believe it. Maybe I have just been lucky, but everyone has been super friendly. I even payed against people that said "here take these cards mate" and just threw cards at me as if it was x-mas.

So far I haven't said anything about how the game plays - I would not do it justice, and there are people much smarter than me who have already covered it. The reason I am now smitten by it is that once it "clicks" (and it took me about 40 games for that to happen), you realise how great the design is. I love the fact that it plays on a board where positioning is crucial. It is so much more strategic than your average CCG (note: I love boardgames and strategy, so that helps). Comebacks do happen. Sometimes you have an epic finish as you manage to hold out against all odds and come through (equally so, you sometimes get utterly crushed... gotta take the good with the bad).

True there are few players - some big names have stormed the field and have all the attention. I hear that competitive players say the game is unbalanced - no idea if that's true. Doesn't really affect me.

It is coming out of beta in autumn (https://scrolls.com/2014/09/whats-ne...ls-4#more-4355). I really hope it will draw more players, casual players.

But frankly I get a kick against the AI, and I hope to drag some friends into it to play matches, so even if the payer base doesn't quite materialise there is a ton of fun to be had.

So that's the end of my story. I hope that it will inspire some of you to learn more about it (videos aplenty) and join me in epic games.

edit: sadly made a horrible typo on the post title and that can't be edited :(
    Last edited by QuantaCat; 10-09-2014 at 08:37 AM. Reason: title speeeeling
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam

Network Hub
    I played Scrolls in beta but gravitated away from it, is the game in better shape now?

Network Hub
    Well, it depends on what your gripes were, as I don't know what better shape would mean for you. But I think it's in really good shape as it stands.
    Easy (nCore) likes Braaaains
    Find me on Steam