View Poll Results: When would you like a regular gathering to play Mechwarrior Online to take place?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monday

1 25.00%
  • Tuesday

0 0%
  • Wednesday

2 50.00%
  • Thursday

1 25.00%
  • Friday

2 50.00%
  • Saturday

1 25.00%
  • Sunday

1 25.00%
  • Every day at a specified time.

1 25.00%
  • I would prefer one-off events instead of regular events.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Hitbox is made smaller?

If they can do it to a hitbox WHY NOT AN ENTIRE MECH!?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    So, what was their plan with the light mechs? I always thought they wanted to give them a more profound role? Well with the expended numbers now there is no reason to cap, since even with 3 lights you cannot do it in any sort of time span. All they've done so far is remove one path.
    PS2/NS2/Mumble: SirWigglyBottom
    Steam: The Almighty Snark

Bread?

Activated Node
    I think their plan with the light mechs was basically what we saw lights doing in early open beta. Lights could fight much heavier mechs with their speed and twisting and win even in an fair fight. And they could decide match outcomes with capping. There were two flaws in this. Capping in the gametypes we have now is no fun. That and the only reason they could win those one on one duels was incredible amounts of lagshield pre-HSR (and Raven hitboxes) meaning lights took thousands of points of damage to kill.

Now capping has been slowed down it mostly happens by teams passing by each other more than being the job of lights. Plus HSR means lights really can't win against any heavy or assault pilot with half a brain. With capping and dueling gone lights really need new purposes. Bear in mind that in lore lights have their uses but they aren't for capping oilrigs and dueling atlases- why PGI tried to make them do this I don't know.

Either there needs to be new gametypes with objectives more varied and interesting than standing in the red square or if we're sticking to deathmatch there needs to be a tonnage limit per player rather than per team. So for example you could choose to bring two Atlases, OR eight Commandos to fill up your personal tonnage. That way dedicated light pilots wouldn't be dragging their team tonnage down and being a burden.

Pheonix got an update. Stretch goals on a bar with no units so it's meaningless, but more importantly we know what standard variants each mech gets alongside the pheonix one we already know about.
    Locust has the machine gun variant, an energy boat variant, and a missile variant.
    Shadowhawk and Battlemaster standard variants have more missiles.
    Thunderbolt standard variants can jump.

Adding to the wall of text- patch notes. http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/132...y-august-20th/

Medium mech buffs are as nothing as expected. AC2s get a RoF decrease so that it doesn't trigger ghost heat (that's right, lower the DPS on DPS weapons because you can't fix bugs). LBX spread tightened. Crits nerfed. Ultras jam much less often. Streaks are up to 2.5 damage. Not 2.0, 2.5. Edit:Somehow forgot the biggest thing. Third person is in.

Basically the Ultralander with streaks just jumped to being one of the best brawlers in the game with absolutely ludicrous DPS.
    Last edited by JackAttack; 20-08-2013 at 06:09 PM.

Banned
    So...

...is it dead?

Activated Node
    Oh, 3PV. I will jump in just to see how gamebreaking that is. And I think it should be rather gamebreaking. Mechwarrior Arcade...?

Activated Node
    Heh, third person view makes things easier. I got a few hundreds dmg by just shooting PPCs like crazy. This time I did overheat, still killed some mechs. Was fun right until my game froze. I think I will be waving goodbye to MWO.

I consistently find myself out-dpsing mediums, heavies, and even assaults in my 6ML Jenner. To clarify, I mean that my total damage over the course of the match is higher; obviously my alpha is lower, but I tend to be the last man standing so it all evens out.

It's all about being mobile and being smart. If I get in over my head I back of, and I can get away because nothing else on the field is as fast as I am. With bigger mechs I get in close, keep my transversal up, and cut in behind them if I get the chance. If I get into trouble, I get out.

I can do things in my Jenner no one else can do. I can scout ahead of the team and determine where the enemy is going. I can give their base a love tap to trick some of them into going rtb. I can dive into a pack of them to finish off a crippled much, because I am fast enough to get back out alive. I can go rtb to finish off a light that is trying to ninja cap, or stall a cap long enough for my team to cap.

I am a decent pilot, but I still get my ass kicked sometimes. I'm looking at you, centurion that kept shotgunning me with his srms last night. But I have a role, and I fill it pretty well. So, with respect, don't tell me I am holding my team back. Thanks.

-Nim
    Last edited by Nim.Was.Taken; 27-08-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    Steam: tryqus

Banned
    They already gave it me back after I asked.

If I'm not the target demographic I'd like my founders pack refunded too...

Activated Node
    That CDU reads like satire. They've had one week to gather their precious ''telemetry'' and they're already confident enough to say they've seen ''a good bump in new player retention'' and ''We continue to see a steady increase in online players''. For the first point I don't see how they can possibly know that after just a week, and the second point seems like a flat out lie. I've never seen fewer people online than now. Permanently red friends list, and it's a pretty broad sample of RPS players, Kong and other players. Even during LRMpocalpyses and PPCwarrior months the game wasn't nearly this dead.

Nim I don't mean to say light mechs can't be effective, or they can't be fun, or have unique gameplay styles, but all of that can be true while they are objectively worse than heavier mechs. As a general rule heavier mechs are better than lighter mechs, and heavier teams are better than lighter teams. There are anomalies like the Dragon, Quickdraw or Awesome where more weight doesn't mean a better mech but they are a small minority.

Let's say a team with six assaults and six heavies faces a team with three of each weight class. Assume equal player skill across all 24 players. The assault/heavy team will roll the team every time. And a team with twelve assaults will roll that team too. You can talk about capping but you're simultaneously depriving your main force of numbers. If you send three lights to cap, the deathball of 12 will go straight through the group of 9 and return to base later. Or they'll send one or two mechs that can hunt lights back to base, and the outcome of the fight at the main force remains the same because it's still 10 vs 9.

That's what I mean by taking a light mech is dragging your team down- if you were in an assault you'd contribute more on average. In random public games they can be perfectly effective because they aren't THAT bad, but in high elo 12 mans or high elo regular drops made up of groups on both sides lights and mediums get crushed and weight matters.

Being fun to play or viable under favorable casual circumstances while being shat on at high elos and in competitive games is not an argument that they do not need a buff.
    Last edited by JackAttack; 28-08-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Sigh, I do miss the days of just jumping into Mumble and seeing friendly name-tags sitting in the Mechwarrior channel, always ready to have some serious Mech-fun. Today I've got my Phoenix-preorder refunded, I'd been giving them the benefit of the doubt for long enough, they just don't deserve 80$ on good faith.

As Jack already mentioned, the friends list is red and I think I'll be staying red for a while, whilst keeping a close eye on the development of course. I'm always up for other gaming shenanigans and those of you that have me on Steam, don't be shy to drop me a line whenever there's some multiplayering to be had.

Activated Node
    Pheonix just got an extra pack, ''Sabre''. $30, two more mechs. The Wolverine and the Griffin. Won't be getting it.

Activated Node
    My main problem with the game right now is not the metagame, I was never competitive, I just liked to stomp stomp and pew pew. Especially with the RPS group, so we could actually talk and coordinate. Granted I was never that coordinated, but still... LRMgeddon or PPCwarrior ( or even worse ECMOnline ! ) was bad, but we could all be vocal about it while dead and watching Jack bring the other team down ;)
    Those days are gone. Some people left because of the direction the game took. I left due to the enormous amount of grind needed to unlock anything. I got my fair share of mechs and I would love to try something new if just for laughs, but to buy another mech I would have to play more than 100 games, probably close to 150 if I would like an assault. Probably double that to get the weapons and upgrades. This just isn't fun. Not any more.
    Hope to see you in other games tho. Warframe is still fun in decent doses. And I'm up for any multiplayer thing even if that means people will shoot at me again.

Banned
    The things is LRMageddon and ECMonline were always a lot more fun than PPCwarrior.

Brawling was at least viable then.

Activated Node
    http://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/134...september-3rd/

Tutorial added.
    Hero Orion out, regular Orion on the 17th.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=34CFdxya-hA
    SRM2 and SRM4 Cycle time decreased.
    PPCS under 90m now do 0 damage.
    PPC and ERPPC heat increased and projectile speed decreased.
    Gauss now has to charge to fire. Projectile speed and health increased.
    Kintaro CT hitbox made smaller.
    Advanced zoom buffed.
    Third person tweaked to better show legs.
    HSR improvements.
    Weapon door light indicators in the cockpit are now working correctly.

A good patch? Has PGI been sneakily replaced?

Also gloating because I finally got 8 kills.
    http://i.imgur.com/f8vOqJK.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/OY0AjVe.jpg
    Last edited by JackAttack; 03-09-2013 at 07:19 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Agreed, I like this!

Bread?

Getting eight kills in 12v12 doesn't count, get twelve kills and we'll talk about your mechanized pedestal. And most importantly, are you being meta-compliant or did you strap ACs on that thing coupled with SRMs?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Hmm, got a BJ-1 last sunday and strapped a medium laser and a AC/20 on it. Lovely little killing machine!

Bread?

Activated Node
    Twelve kills will have to wait until I have some clan tech. This was the build for both games.
    Can be copy+pasted onto the 733C and the DDC and works just as well.

My previously massive hype for the Orion has been completely deflated by seeing it's model. It's ugly and frankly looks lazy. The cockpit and lego body especially. Strange for such a well known mech that's also been in the work for so long.

Concept

Execution

Damn it, can't even shame you for using that build, unless I've been away for so long that Streaks and UACs are the go-to cheese now.