Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Obscure Node

RIP Sir Patrick Moore - The GamesMaster is no longer with us

Sir Moore certainly made an impact on the lives of many through a varied career, which I mostly remember for his time as the GamesMaster!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20657939

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Kadayi's Avatar
    *sad face*

Godspeed Patrick
    Why yes you're right I'm deliciously evil

Tradition is the tyranny of dead men

Steam:Kadayi Origin: Kadayi GFWL: Kadayi

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Quote Originally Posted by Finicky View Post
    Kadayi will remain the worst poster on the interwebs.
    Gifmaster 4000 2014 Year of the Gif

Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes....

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    The staunch anti-immigration "English not British" nonsense was always disgusting. His support for Enoch Powell is pretty damned nasty, but at least consistent. No wonder he had issues with the Race Relations Act

But it's the homophobia that leads him to lie about AIDS that annoys me the most. Alongwith the outright belief that the BBC had somehow been ruined by women.

Racist, Sexist, Homophobe.

What I thought of him, wtaching him on tele as a kid, as some nice old interesting man, isn't really enough to bypass his hate and vileness. Good riddance.

(For details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick...itical_beliefs
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    - snip -
    He also opposed fox hunting (amongst other blood sports), loved cats, and lastly inspired lots of people to really get into astronomy, but still those are side issues. Better if he was never born hey?

Probable Replicant

*blush* I'm flattered by the attention boys, but please let's not make the thread about liddle old me

Banned
    The staunch anti-immigration "English not British" nonsense was always disgusting. His support for Enoch Powell is pretty damned nasty, but at least consistent. No wonder he had issues with the Race Relations Act

But it's the homophobia that leads him to lie about AIDS that annoys me the most. Alongwith the outright belief that the BBC had somehow been ruined by women.

What I thought of him, wtaching him on tele as a kid, as some nice old interesting man, isn't really enough to bypass his hate and vileness. Good riddance.

(For details:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick...itical_beliefs
    Well at least he didn't shove his views down our throats.

Unlike you.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Swayze View Post
    Well at least he didn't shove his views down our throats.

Unlike you.
    This is the crux of the matter. I don't ever recall him expressing a lot of what's been said about him whenever I'd seen him on Television or read any articles. The man seemed singularly focused on the subject in hand (generally astronomy). If the man was actively there using his celebrity at every given opportunity to express his world views then I think there would be reason to call him to account, but in this situation...I'm not convinced that the knives out are justified least of all when he's still warm on the mortuary slab.

Probable Replicant

Banned
    In today's brainwashed PR-libtard dominated world, these adjectives are almost a badge of honor.

No idea who that guy was.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    In today's brainwashed PR-libtard dominated world, these adjectives are almost a badge of honor.

No idea who that guy was.
    Let's not go that far eh? We're not suggesting it's OK to hate woman, gays and non-white people - we're suggesting that someone who comes from a world where that was the NORM, might be given a BIT of slack on the topic.

Ideally I'd like to live somewhere where it's not an issue - because I am, frankly, tired of the hate on both sides...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    Let's not go that far eh? We're not suggesting it's OK to hate woman, gays and non-white people - we're suggesting that someone who comes from a world where that was the NORM, might be given a BIT of slack on the topic.

Ideally I'd like to live somewhere where it's not an issue - because I am, frankly, tired of the hate on both sides...
    I'm not suggesting that (although I will grant you that someone whose fiancee, an ambulance driver, was killed in WW2, might well be cut some slack for the anti-europe thing). I'm suggesting that Moore contributed to the education and enthusiasm in education of this country non-stop for a lifetime, and that his political views were so irrelevant that most people were completely unaware of them.

Find me someone who spent half a century succesfully encouraging people to learn about and enjoy the world they live in who also had no stupid or backwards views on something else that had no bearing on their work whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Unaco View Post
    My view is he did some good, and he did some bad. He was a man. No one is perfect. While yes, we shouldn't gloss over anything negative about him, at the same time we shouldn't see his life entirely negatively, because of a few less than agreeable views that he had.
    Absolutely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Cooper's Avatar
    Let's not go that far eh? We're not suggesting it's OK to hate woman, gays and non-white people - we're suggesting that someone who comes from a world where that was the NORM, might be given a BIT of slack on the topic..
    Nope. No slack.

I know plenty of elderly people were never as repugnant in their beliefs. Age is no excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by CROCONOUGHTKEY
    KING GEORGE IS A FROG
    le BANG~__-MICHEAL FUCK OFF~~__-INTERPOL KNOW YOU WELLBIENG~—
    OFF
    NOT RUSHMORE MOUNTAIN
    KILL WESTON KILL MUST KILLTHEWESTERNINMYHEADDOESN’TEXSIST
    TEXASISDEADINPARISHEWASAMAN..BINGBING.TETTOHEAD.SP ACEOK,TIMEDEADANDSTOPPED1920HOKKAIDO.UNDERSTOODAT1 ONE.
    UNDERSTANDTHISANDFUCKOFFPIRATEBAY.TIMEDOESNTEXSIST FORMEASIMPATEKPHILLPE.
    BANG

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Nope. No slack.

I know plenty of elderly people were never as repugnant in their beliefs. Age is no excuse.
    It's almost as inexcusable as writing on a memorial thread 'good riddance.' I see that hate and vileness you were talking about.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Mohorovicic View Post
    Because you have to be liberal to hate racism, sexism, or homophobia.

Give me steam and how you feel to make it real.

So... He did some good stuff. And he did some bad stuff. He was man then, I guess. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

So... He did some good stuff. And he did some bad stuff. He was man then, I guess. RIP.
    This is going on my headstone.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Amen. He brought such class to a gaming show. Unlike these twats:

Gamesville.jpg

I think you can most appropriately say he did some things. No matter if you attach a value to it or not.

(and PS: yes, I attach the same value to it)
    - Tom De Roeck.

verse publications & The Shopkeeper, an interactive short.

"Quantacat's name is still recognised even if he watches on with detached eyes like Peter Molyneux over a cube in 3D space, staring at it with tears in his eyes, softly whispering... Someday they'll get it."

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I love that people are upset that an 89-year-old held (or at least had held) racists or sexist views - that's a massive fucking surprise isn't it :)

The same people probably never listen to Wagner - they're keeping themselves for only the more pristine of artistic endeavours, unsullied by anything as complex as the fact that the world changes - and people change - and they're unable to grasp that simple concept because everything is so 'right on' for them.

He was a member of the UKIP and so anti-Europe and, in fairness, when a large amount of Europe spent a few years trying to kill him, I can sort-of understand that - I'd probably share the view...

The men who built the Bridge over the River Kwai probably never bought a Toyota either...

The men who built the Bridge over the River Kwai probably never bought a Toyota either...
    Those intolerant bastards....

Probable Replicant

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    homosexuals are mainly responsible for the spreading of AIDS (the Garden of Eden is home of Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve)
    Age isn't a reason to be ignorant.