Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    My Dad used words like "Blacks" and "Darkies" but to my knowledge he held nothing against any person based on their skin colour - he just used terms which 'right on' people have decided are now unacceptable.
    Yeah, black people are completely cool with being called "darkies" but the right-on gang had to go and ruin that, too.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    Yeah, black people are completely cool with being called "darkies" but the right-on gang had to go and ruin that, too.
    The important word you're not focussing on is 'used', as in past tense.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Dubbill View Post
    I strongly suspect more white people are offended by that term than anyone else - but my point was that he used a term which was once commonplace and without any perjorative intent.

Would you rather he used polite terms but hated people in other ways? :)

Kids and their obsession with the meanings of words eh?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Until I read into this thread I had no idea that the old floating head man who loved space was anything other than the old floating head man who loved space. So while he might of had some views that some people didn't like, it doesn't sound like he ever went out of his way to inflict them on other people.

Quote Originally Posted by trjp View Post
    I strongly suspect more white people are offended by that term than anyone else - but my point was that he used a term which was once commonplace and without any perjorative intent.?
    I don't disagree with your point about historical usage; my cockney grandparents were the same (and my other grandmother was a full-on racist, bless her evil socks).

Attributing the fact that we no longer use such terms to 'right-on people' read a little too much like PC-Gone-Mad and I was reacting to that.
    Open-faced sandwiches are upon you whether you would risk it or not.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    He didn't go out of his way per se, but it did use opportunities to when talking about Europe to Radio times to unleash this gem:

The only good Kraut is a dead Kraut.
    While I understand his hatred stems from his fiance being killed, and I'm not in any way saying he should 'get over it' his unflexing position on Germans is pretty deplorable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I feel the same way about chavs. My dad hates gays. And the overweight. And... actually, he just hates everyone. Most of us have an offensive view on something, but when you gloss over someone's life and define it by a single view (which Sir Patrick never even seemed to make an effort to promote) and celebrate their death, well, then you are a giant self-righteous asshat whose list of heroes only include Mother Theresa and Santa Claus.
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 10-12-2012 at 03:09 PM.

But according to Mother Theresa, abortion is one of the reasons there isn't world peace. I'm kidding (she did think that) but I doubt anyone would consider her a bad person. Ever, really.

Also, I'd like to point out in case it's not clear that even though I think some of Moore's stances of things are deplorable, I in no way celebrate his death.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    Yeah I know. I'm taking another shot at Cooper's posts. Because they were so bad, they deserve to be told off twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake Sigar View Post
    but when you gloss over someone's life and define it by a single view (which Sir Patrick never even seemed to make an effort to promote) and celebrate their death, well, then you are a giant self-righteous asshat whose list of heroes only include Mother Theresa and Santa Claus.
    Ugh... "Mother" Teresa (the Mother part was an appellation she gave herself) was a reactionary, fundamentalist fanatic, and quite possibly a fraud. From her opposition to the empowerment and emancipation of women, her support and praise of "Papa Doc" Duvalier, her double standards on divorce, and her comments on Abortion. And what happened to many, many millions of $s she received in donations? Her order never released any sort of audit, and it wasn't as if her Calcutta Hospice was at the cutting edge of medical treatment.

WoundedBum beat me to it, but as you say Drake, you can make anyone out to be a bit of a monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    I just have an opinion different to your own. Circle jerking is good for no one, be glad somebody isn't afraid to disagree with women on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypernetic View Post
    No, you are literally the cancer that is killing gaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serenegoose View Post
    Nobody's ever lost sleep over being called a cracker.

Banned
    I suggest gents we do the better thing and mark this one down to poor judgement, and get back to arguing/discussing games. In truth the whole things left a rather bad taste in my mouth and frankly I'd say everything that needs to be said on the issue has been said.
    Last edited by Kadayi; 10-12-2012 at 03:42 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Woundedbum View Post
    But according to Mother Theresa, abortion is one of the reasons there isn't world peace. I'm kidding (she did think that) but I doubt anyone would consider her a bad person. Ever, really.
    You're kidding right?

The late, great Christopher Hitchens despised her and I tend to agree with his position (he did write an ENTIRE book on the topic!!) - that she, in effect, rejoiced at the suffering as if it were intended

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...e_dearest.html

That and the fact Catholicism is inherently fucking stupid anyway - of course...

There's a case of someone ACTIVELY promoting their agenda y'see

"Oh but she helps people"

"Ah but she arguably keeps people miserable to promote her beliefs"

As I wrote it I knew someone would disagree of course, but I have nothing more to add.

Lesser Hivemind Node fiddlesticks's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TixyLixx View Post
    Don't see why people care so much about other peoples opinions, I don't like [Pakistanis], am I a bad person?
    Yes.

Does anyone have a particularly good write-up on Patrick Moore, his political views and his effect on society? I've never heard of him before reading this thread and now I'm intrigued.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fiddlesticks View Post
    Yes.

Does anyone have a particularly good write-up on Patrick Moore, his political views and his effect on society? I've never heard of him before reading this thread and now I'm intrigued.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...-patrick-moore

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...ick-Moore.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-10525469

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/97da7312-8...#axzz2Eg7cj6Kf

There's a few more if you search around. Even the guardian doesn't put the boot in on him.
    Fundamentally he was known as an astronomer and a bit of an eccentric character. Really to get an idea of him though you need to see him in action: -

Last edited by Kadayi; 10-12-2012 at 07:39 PM.