Lesser Hivemind Node

Question for the veterans Re: team style and star players

I've finally gotten around to trying this game, after wanting to for ages. But, unless i'm missing something, it doesn't really give you much information to work with. So I started playing a campaign as an Elf team (I like the hockey masks!) and I wondered (A) how do you play as an elf team, and (B) are the 2 elf 1 ogre star players the only ones I'll ever have access to, and (C) can you get permanent star players, or do they always just come for one game? (oh and D, what's the difference between petty cash and regular budget?)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think you are playing Pro Elves, never played them so i cant offer many tips.
    B) The two elves and one ogre you can see are the only star players available for your type of team, if you play humans you will see different ones, and if you play orcs you will see different ones. I'm pretty sure the ogre is available to all teams.
    C) Star players only ever stick around for one match.
    D) Petty cash is only available for that one match (so spend it all) its determined by the difference in your Team Value (TV) and the opponent teams TV. Your regular budget is precious and is awarded after a match, if you win then it is more likely to be higher, i think its determined by a dice roll but i've never played the table top version so its not clear to me.

Some additions to what Gorm said:

I don't coach pro elves so i'll leave that to someone better equipped than me but for general elf defence there is some useful reading on this guide http://bbtactics.com/cage-breaking/2/

Cyanide don't implement the full star player list which sucks donkey balls but generally 2 or 3 stars are available to all teams. The ogre is available to all teams except the dead teams - they get a ST6 tomb guardian with wrestle instead.

If you win a game you get to reroll your winnings roll if you dont like it.
    Global Warping (Skaven) - RPS Divisions of Death Champions Seasons 34-36

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Ah ok. Disappointing on the star players, I was hoping to be able to pick up some more interesting/varied/other race types. Do the star players level up in a single player campaign then, or are they just static? So petty cash is kind of a leveler between unequal teams? But isn't it used for things like buying apothecaries that hang around permanently?

Lesser Hivemind Node
    PS/ I'm now going to waste a huge amount of time on bbtactics... ;-)

Read what i've written and realised it could be misinterpreted. The 2-3 per race aren't necessarily the same player - theres some crossover but theres a decent mix.

Petty cash (or inducements) is something of a leveler however it was designed to not fully bridge the gap. Some races are more effective with inducements (elves/skaven with wizards) others are designed to run with them (goblins/halflings) The inducements you buy only stay with you for one game then they're gone. The rerolls and apos you buy there are more expensive than the ones on the team roster.

BBTactics is an excellent site for any information on the game. The coach pool there varies from rookies right through to multiple championship winners. Dont be afraid to post any questions you have in the forums - there's plenty willing to help.
    Global Warping (Skaven) - RPS Divisions of Death Champions Seasons 34-36

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    Inducements are a toy really, stars doubly so. They don't develop, they cannot die or be injured. If both people hire a star neither get him. (or does cyanide create a clone?).

The best inducement is probably the chef vs sides with lower ag (ideally ag2 with ag3 being the ceiling of its usefulness) and limited reroll skills. Bribes is my favourite vs anything not AV9 or AV8 Regen.

If you have lots of fodder you are letting get beaten up (zombies, norsemen) get bloodwiser babes.

If you are billionaire orcs against non-evlves get the goblin bomber with your own money.

The Stars who don't need Rerolls to avoid turn overs are the best because all stars are loners, some suggestions but I can't remember names:
    Dark Elf double stabbing guy
    Vampire star
    Elven hypnosis (pro elf accessible)
    Non stupid Troll for throwing.
    Tree for halflings
    Goblin bomber for hilarity
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

I can offer a few tips for playing as an Elf team:

1. Your Blitzers are amazing marking players on defence. Glue them to your opponent's ball carriers and aim to give them Dodge, Diving Tackle and Tackle. See here for a good guide on marking players.

2. Your Catchers essentially define your team, and are the best out-of-the-box catchers in the game. Nerves of Steel is fantastic, and allows for such wonderful plays as flooding your opponent's half with players and holding the ball back out of range for a long throw the following turn. This means that your opponent can blitz only one of the catchers in his half, and marking the others has no influence on their ability to catch. Combined with a good Thrower this is a solid 2-turn touchdown play.

3. Your Linemen(Linemer?) are the cheapest AGI 4 players in the game. This is good, as with AV7 they will get hurt, and it means that you don't need to get too attached to them or worry about putting them in harm's way compared to your expensive positionals.

4. Finally, remember you're an agility team. In most situations, particularly when there's a lot of tackle on the pitch, it is best to focus on extracting your players from the melee before they're stomped into the ground. Use your speed and agility to exploit situations such as loose balls, isolated ball carriers and gaps in your opponent's formation. Don't get bogged down in a fistfight, because you'll likely emerge with a bloody nose and a few dead elves (which admittedly is quite a nice sight).
    I occasionally write things on this website. You can read these things by clicking this thing:
    www.teamsao.com

Lesser Hivemind Node
    I think picking an agility team might have been a bad idea to start. My instinct is always to move towards other players and hit them. I like going for long passes, but I'm not really sure what to do with my other players. Should I be using them as kind of rear-guards? Preventing opponents moving too far forward, but skipping back one square each turn to avoid getting blocked?

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frenz0rz View Post
    ... and a few dead elves (which admittedly is quite a nice sight).
    Not as nice as a few dead orcs ;).
    My Arsenal of Democracy AAR: The British Empire
    Seeking alpha testers for a StoryNexus cyberpunk RPG.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Or dwarves

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Heliocentric's Avatar
    I prefer to recruit players to my team than kill, this is especially sweet with undead teams who can use the extra player in the following drive.
    I'm failing to writing a blog, specifically about playing games the wrong way
    http://playingitwrong.wordpress.com/

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Elves are a hard team to use well - very unforgiving at low TV. That said, the AI in the single player game is bobbins and you should soon be winning every match.

Against HUMANS I would suggest something like orcs or undead - both of them are good at low TV, and the high strength and armour means that you'll rarely get carted off the pitch.

I would not recommend playing in matchmaking leagues. If you can commit to one game a week (or even more!) then obviously RPS has the Divisions, plus the possibility of the Open. The BBtactics Big Crunch is nearly finished its current season so now would be a good time to apply to that. Other good leagues are the Orca Cola Championship and the UKBBL.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorm View Post
    I'm pretty sure the ogre is available to all teams.
    The ogre is not available to undead-type teams - they get Ramtut instead.