Page 164 of 303 FirstFirst ... 64114154162163164165166174214264 ... LastLast
Results 3,261 to 3,280 of 6044
    I'm sitting in the RPS Open lobby, just say hi when you're ready.
    Forum janitor in training.

Network Hub
    Clash of the top two produced a tight and entertaining game which ended my 100% run with a 2-2 draw. Janek decided to play it safe and take the guaranteed point rather than go for the win despite having me down to just 4 players. He was probably assuming my knock out rolls had to improve (1 in 7 made) and as he hadn’t injured anyone apart from the journeyman it wouldn’t have taken much for my team to be in a position to win. I think my thrower scared him :)

Played Jiiiiim tonight, he won 2-1.

I continue to chisel out wins like I'm shaping a lump of granite. I was on for the 2-0, ball surrounded, nudged pythagoras to pick it up but he drops it, ball scatters to skink who catches on a 6+, skink runs length of pitch to score. So I made double super safety sure after that and removed all the remaining skinks from the pitch _

Of note: Squirrel, thanks to a combination of events and chefs, had 9 rerolls at the start of the first half.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by Corkir View Post
    Clash of the top two produced a tight and entertaining game which ended my 100% run with a 2-2 draw. Janek decided to play it safe and take the guaranteed point rather than go for the win despite having me down to just 4 players. He was probably assuming my knock out rolls had to improve (1 in 7 made) and as he hadn’t injured anyone apart from the journeyman it wouldn’t have taken much for my team to be in a position to win. I think my thrower scared him :)
    Congratulations Janek!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiiiiim View Post
    So I made double super safety sure after that and removed all the remaining skinks from the pitch _
    Not that it would have mattered much if I had had Skinks left standing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Brain View Post
    Grinn - When is good for our green on green match up? It'll be like your team is looking into a really rubbish mirror.
    The Gears will happily give you a field demonstration of what you guys can be when you grow up ;p - Saturday or Sunday morning works or Monday/Tuesday at 22.00 cet

Ps add me on steam: muungrinn or grinn can't remember which works :)

I'm off to the gym now but Sunday morning sounds good to me.

Hey brain man - I m having a late one. Could we play at 10 instead of 9 car ?

See you tomorrow

No problem. See you then.

Hippocratic Oafs 1 - 0 Gears of Mork

In one of the biggest upsets in all of Orc history the Oafs have just stolen their first win from the Gears of Mork. I would like to say it was down to shrewd coaching by myself but the honest answer is that Nuffle well and truly left his mark on the game. My thrower made a stupid amount of dodges, I injured two of the gears best players early and Grinn seemed to roll a 1 on almost every action.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Back but all jetlagged out right now. Mrprier, are you perhaps available for a game tomorrow night?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Should be, yeah.

Oh man, my Sinister Sixteen chaos team nearly took the game from mrpier's Insufferable high elves and with a 500TV disadvantage to boot. I'd written the game off as a loss beforehand - because elves - but it's probably the closest and tensest match I've had all season.

Some key moments (from my perspective):
    • The TRR difference. I spent inducements on a halfling chef and an extra TRR. The chef stole 2 each half, giving me 6v2 TRRs for the whole game.
    • A lucky MNG injury on one of mrprier's blitzers, taking out one of his only two Guard pieces right at the start of the match.
    • Stalling the high elves to a crawl by defending deep and stomping down potential receivers in my half of the pitch, preventing mrpier from scoring in the first half. My minotaur Daisy was extremely handy for this, moving to mark 2 catchers with her Tentacle that kept them in place for several turns.
    • Failing a GFI on turn 8 that would have seen me take the lead.
    • Receiving in the second half meant I only had to stall, wear down the elves and walk it in. Right? Well, one failed hand off screwed all that up. The ball scattered out of my safety zone and mrpier's elves had it away in a flash.
    • 1-0 to the Insufferable with only 2 turns remaining. I set up for a strong drive in the middle, where his defense was weakest. If I can blitz through, with some GFIs and some luck I could still manage a draw. It was working very well too, I messed up his LoS and blitzed through the middle... then I tried to hand off the ball. Bah. Worse, Insufferable stole the ball and ran it home.

Final score: Sinister Sixteen 0 - 2 Insufferable

So the anticipated loss after all. But for the longest time it was so close!! It was an extremely entertaining match, regardless.

Injury-wise, after the blitzer's MNG-by-beastman, Daisy later killed two line elves (although the second one was apoth'd to a niggle). Oh and then Daisy went on to get the MVP too, so she's level 5 already! Still no double (Claw/Jugger/Tentacle/Stand Firm) and at 230k she is just too costly, even though she did fine work last night.

If Daisy survives my next match - against Hands' scary chaos - it may well be her last anyway. I still don't have the money for a replacement though, and I worry what else I'll need to replace after facing Hands' killer team...

Cheers for the game mrpier!
    Last edited by Screwie; 17-10-2012 at 01:06 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Screwie View Post
    If Daisy survives my next match - against Hands' scary chaos - it may well be her last anyway. I still don't have the money for a replacement though, and I worry what else I'll need to replace after facing Hands' killer team...
    Scary? Killers? You've not actually looked at my team, have you? My warriors are a tragic waste of TV with their +AGs and dodges...

Actually, I saw the TV difference and the levels of your players and just assumed you were full of Claw and Mighty Blow, hehe.

Also I just realised how many inducements I can get for the match if I retire Daisy right now. Very tempting!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    You should do it, minotaurs suck.

I mean, uh, totally keep that minotaur, it'll be super-useful... ;-)

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    It's mrpier btw ;-)

And yeah, you really had me working for that victory. I reckon 1-1 would have been a much fairer result. I messed up a bit in the first half and left one of my catchers in the subs box and when two of my other catchers failed to extricate themselves from the tentacly embrace of Daisy I was running out of options. In hindsight I should have just tried to do the -2 dice block on the mino, but I didn't want to have to use reroll on that block because of the chef, so I tried to dodge away for three turns instead. Which meant Screwie had ample time to pressure my ballcarrier in the backfield and forcing me into a cage in the middle which was soon busted open.

I also had to do a metric shit ton of dodges in this match, and I think only one or two failed, but they weren't at important moments. A couple of tackle or DT beasts would have done wonders for Screwie in this match.

Second half went better, but I still had to struggle a bit to get at the ball.

It was a supertense match, but after Screwie's chaos failed the last GFI for a touchdown in the first half I was pretty confident about at least a draw from this. 2-0 to my helves is a really flattering result. Thanks for the match Screwie.

Woops! Fixed the error, sorry. Although your name could do with some spaces/capitalisation :P

Tackle is definitely on the list, but most of my beasts are only level 1 or 2 so they're just not to that stage yet.

It was very odd to face a high elf team without any throwers - were they injured or is that an actual strategy (since your catchers and blitzer seemed pretty capable by themselves)?