Page 79 of 303 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,580 of 6044
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus LowKey's Avatar
    Oh you handsome devil, i can do monday night and then i am away all week i am afraid, ok for you?

Also i previously said id be entering an undead team, it will actually be a lizard, just for the information of the good and the great
    Last edited by LowKey; 26-02-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Okay, is 10pm too late for you to start? I can do earlier, I did have other plans but they are somewhat mutable.

10 would be ok pal

'Snoozer and I played yesterday. After the pasting my 'zons took from his Khemri last season I was quite happy to get only 2 SI's and only one of them on a skilled player. This time round I was also able to cause as much damage to his team so the Panthers never got horribly outnumbered and unable to stop the slow cage of doom.

The above, a wizard, actually having a faster team than someone for once and 3 players with +Agi all meant that I was able to stop 'Snoozer in the first half, score after 3 turns in the second and successfully prevent an equaliser - despite some last turn heroics from a Khemri Blitzer.

Pink Patisserie Panthers 1 - 0 Mommy's Boys

Thanks for the game 'Snoozer!

Elves of the Line met Gears of Mork yesterday. I had one of my tackling POMB blitzers out and induced Varag who, unsurprisingly proved to be a functional but unimpressive replacement. A couple of low-budget orcy-babes were brought along but they spent the game talking squig-skins. Jolima kicked to me and I set up a carefully pre-planned (little diagram with arrows on it on my side of the monitor) bash-plenty set-up... only to get pitch invaded and thumped by angry elves. Adieu scrimmage line. Adieu left flank. Tricksy elves kicked the ball very close to the mid-pitch just off the sidelines and my orcs had to forget bashing anything and try to scramble a make-shift screen in front of the thrower. Thankfully Jo's first piece moved failed two GFIs and I had another turn to regroup towards the centre. The rest of the half saw me jogging a cage up to 75% of the way in, get corner bashed by super blodgy, sidestepping, diving tackling, guarding, cupcake making blitzers, said blitzers being frenzied away by Gonzi, my angry POMBer - rinse and repeat. Cage moved up, cage moved down, cage moved sideways... until my thrower was within sprinting range of the endzone. It was all made easier by the selection of elves moping in the infirmary. A few knocked outs and a decent amount of badly hurt.

By the second half though Jo manages to deploy a full team, so my injuryfest was not quite paying off as desired. In the second half Jo receives and dances a ball into the endzone in the first few turns. The elves were locked in by tackling orcs and squeezed to score early on. A few more badly hurt elves were carted off the field and I received with 5 turns to go and 2 or so players up. That advantage soon increased but Jolima's elves put up a valiant defence. Not to risk stalling too much my thrower ran up to pass to Agath-Argh Barbara who was waiting close to the endzone. In order to avoid the interception Zeppi the thrower took an extra step and dropped the ball in the open. The elves moved the ball up but got pounced instantly and, in a fit of usefulness Varag jogs back, picks up the ball and passes to the now-screened Agat-Argh, who scores.

2-1 for the Gears. Well played Jo - exciting to the end!

PS Injuries were a miss next game for each side, a -1S on Jo's +1S lineman that was apod succesfully and 7 more badly hurts for Jo. Must admit that the dug-out looks so much prettier with 9 pulsating red crosses floating over prone elves :p

I think you just ended the longest unbeaten run in the divisions there

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Duffin! How's Wednesday night for you? 8ish?

Sorry football's on then. Any other preferences?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Me and Mrpier played last night, me trying to make up for my opening 2 games ending in 2-0 defeats. Mr Pier was also hunting for an elusive first victory. My team has a fair bit more development than his, his team short by just over 200TV. Being high elves, this means they have even less skills than usual (expensive players!), most only having a single skill whilst many of my Necro players are up to lvl2/3. He also has 4 rerolls to my 3. So, mrpier picks up a wizard and some bloodweiser babes and away we go.

Mrpier opts to kick, and we both gain a reroll on kickoff. I bash the line somewhat unsuccessfully and hit a catcher. MOstly pushes. My sure hands ghoul picks up the ball that has gone deep, able supported by my guard ghoul (both blodgers). Mr pier tentatively breaks through and puts a player in the backfield, whilst dodging everyone else away from my flesh golems. I decide to cage up on the centre spot using those (now free) golems and my other guard/block players. Its looks super-secure. Right up until mrpier unleashes the wizard. Which is pretty effective, KILLING my block/mighty blow/guard golem (who passed the regen roll! Phew!) and 2 turning the zombie on the other corner. Luckily I left enough players around to make it tricky to get anything other than a one dice block, which goes in, and scores a trip, nothing to my blodging ghoul. I decide to bash him down and regroup into a cage on the left, whilst tying up as many elves as possible. A couple of turns go by with me working up the left (getting hit twice more, but blodge saving me in both cases from the one dice block!) until I get in the corner, desperately trying to stall on turn 5, but a few too many pushes has left me with no choice but to score. Which i do, neatly pushing his annoying sidestep blitzer out of the way to step over the line.

Kicking off, I leave the wings fairly open to invite the cage on the sides, better to abuse my wolves :-). mrpier sets up a cage and a catcher on the opposite side, then tries to pick up the ball, which fails (!) and suddenly I'm in range myself. I mark up both his cages as best I can, bash the thrower down away from the ball and sweep the ball up with my ag4 wolf. He's pretty undefended, but mrpier only has 2 elves back to help. He gets the 2 dice block on, but blodge saves me yet again, and, out of rerolls, mrpier has little choice but to watch me bash down his remaining marker and waltz in on my turn 8. 2-0 by half time.

Kicking off again, same set up, mrpier forms the cage on the side, this time handing the ball off nicely. He does a good job marking up my field of players, and I'm a little more stretched than I'd like (by about 1 square across a number of players). I make one mistake, thinki9ng I can blitz the ball carrier if I push a player out of the way, but I miss a tackle zone, meaning it reuiqres a -3 dodge for my wight. Not a good idea. I only get one player on the catcher and 1 1 dice block later, he's away and the catcher runs it in. Still 6 turns to go - all i need to do is not let him get the ball. At all.

So I receive deep again, provide a weak cage back there, leave the wings open and bash the middle. Once again mrpier throws a few players down the left wing to close in on the cage. I decide to move into the centre again and cage up behind the golems. Looking nice and secure, with no wizard to take me out this time. mrpier attacks a corner, and I flood the cage with guard players and start bashing. He tries to bring more players into the sides and I see an opportunity. With an MA8 player next to 3 defending MA6 players, if i can score a couple of knockdowns, I might be able to put the game beyond mrpier. Fortunately for me, after marking up by pushing up my golems, he attempts to dodge into the cage to hit the ball carrier. The dodge fails, leaving me with a good opportunity. I bash upfield, mark up as many elves as I can and sprint and make 2 go for its to get free. Only one or two players can reach me, and a failed dodge (again!) leaves his elves in no-man's land. I run the clock down, securing the ball in the corner and bashing his elves until turn 16, where, rather than unkindly bashing his players (who have been left in contact across the field after a hail mary attempt to take down the ball carrier!) I run over the line to secure some more SPPs for my star wolf. 3-1 to Wolfsburg.

A good game that felt a little one-sided. I think partly that could be down to mrpier's lack of skills (particularly not much block) and partly due to some pretty poor luck on the dodges. I didn't see the dice yesterday, but I'd expect him to have had more than his fair share of 1s throughout the game, which is pretty terminal for an elf team. My blodging ball carriers proved elusive, too, I don't think he got a knockdown once over 3 attempts on the ball carrier in the first half, my early pushing his tackle blitzer off the pitch being, in hindsight, an even better move than I thought. A few CAS scored by me, and one MNG on my non-ag4 wolf leaves me a little light to go up against Hughtower's mighty mighty skaven next, with their lvl6 rat ogre and 2 lvl5 MA 10 gutter runnners. A very different proposition for a team team woefully low on tackle. But good on mighty blow. So we shall see what happens there. I'll get a good number of inducements, at least :-). In preparation for that, I now have a level 4 zombie (bloat!) who has block fend and tackle. Maybe he'll kill a ratman. If he can catch one... :-)
    Last edited by groovychainsaw; 28-02-2012 at 09:16 AM.

1-1 between me and screwie even though the gobbos were thoroughly nuffled by the dice for most of the game, well played that man!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus ChainsawHands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by duff View Post
    Sorry football's on then. Any other preferences?
    I know not this "foot-to-ball" of which you speak...

Thursday, 8ish?

Yeah, this was a toughie.

It's Catching! (Nurgle, Lowkey) vs Stikky Fingerz (Goblins, me)

I received to start and tried for a sneaky one-turn TD, leaving my weapons off the pitch. It went badly.

Lowkey stole the ball while it was loose in my half and despite several attempts at goblin defence, he walked it over the line in Turn 8 to finish the half.

The goblins were hampered by flubbing their dodge rolls (results in a couple of very short turns for me), trolls who were locked in place by warriors and/or a beast of nurgle and/or stupidity, and the nurglings' stubborn insistence on rolling POW all the time on their blocks.

1 - 0 to It's Catching!

One goblin died in the first half and several more were KO'd, but somehow I managed to field a full 11 at the start of the second - now with weapons!

Disturbing Presence makes the Nurgle side really tough, and the inadequate graphical effect Cyanide have provided only confuses matters. DP affects all passing, including the throwing of bombs and stunties. To make my bombardier at all effective I had to stand him deep in my half and chuck long passes!

Still, he made his mark - chucking the bomb that destroyed the nurgle cage and allowed my pogo to zip in, scoop up the ball and retreat in the direction of the opposite flank. Suddenly I had the advantage! I used the pogo's speed to outpace the opposition, running forward like a madman while the rest of my squad tied up their opposing numbers. He was all on his own out there and twice, Lowkey did knock him down (but not out). Lowkey couldn't capitalise and my pogo recovered himself and the ball and scooted to the end zone in Turn 15.

1 - 1

Well that was a tough game but I guess I'm happy with the resu- BLITZ!!

My kick was on target to drop the ball 2-3 squares from their end zone, so naturally I tried to chuck a goblin after it. That didn't quite work out, so I just moved my pogo up the free flank towards the ball and figured that was that.

But then Lowkey's guys fumbled the ball pickup.

Okay, one more shot! After hoping really, really hard the troll would get it right for once, my goblin landed on his feet, but the scatter had carried him away from the ball (which was still covered by two beastmen). Now he was within 2 GFIs of the end zone, but it would take him one extra lateral square of movement to also retrieve the ball.

Meanwhile my pogo was within 1 GFI of the ball, but fell 2 squares short of the end zone even with GFIs. Kicking myself for not moving the pogo one square more in the previous turn, it looked impossible now.

Wait - the pogo has Leap...

Okay, so this is the only sequence of events which would allow me to score a final TD and steal the game:
    • Two GFI rolls for my aerogoblin had to run to the end zone, near the ball (2+ times two).
    • One GFI roll for my pogo to reach the ball (2+).
    • A roll to pick up the ball (in 2 TZs) (5+).
    • A dodge roll to escape the TZs (3+ plus the Dodge skill).
    • Another GFI to complete the dodge (2+).
    • A Leap roll to advance 1 extra square and land in an adjacent square to the waiting aerogoblin (4+).
    • A catch roll to complete the handoff (3+).

...And I still had one TRR I could use! No sweat.

Final score: 1 - 1

Yep.
    Last edited by Screwie; 28-02-2012 at 11:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawHands View Post
    I know not this "foot-to-ball" of which you speak...
    I've heard of it, but since it doesn't include chainsaws or explosives I don't know how it can call itself a sport...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Groovychainsaw - I made two bad errors in the first half, the first was not moving my blitzer before I moved/dodged the catcher that protected him from a crowdsurf, I was aware of the danger, but he had ag 4 and dodge, how could it fail?

The second error was worse, after Groovys first goal I was building a cage for my catcher on the left side of the pitch hoping to get a goal before halftime, this should be risk-free apart from a two dice block. Somewhere along the line I lost track of my catcher and used him to mark up a zombie as part of the cage, I quickly realized my error and tried to dodge him away and into the safety of the cage (ag 4 and dodge, what could go wrong? I see a pattern here) Sadly I hadn't bothered picking up the ball with my thrower yet (so it wasn't a failed pick-up), and when the turnover came it was poorly protected.

Second half, my cage on the left tactic got executed correctly this time and I could run in a goal after a couple of blocks. After that it was a steamroll, I had no chance against groovy's cage, I tried to get my sidestep blodger up to the ball carrier in the cage, but he only got pushed away just as fast. With no guard/leap/+1ST and being undermanned the cage proved unassailable.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus groovychainsaw's Avatar
    Quite right mr pier, in all the excitement I had forgotten some of the specifics of how it went down. I knew you'd failed a fair few dodges though, and must have scored an impressive number of 1s :-). I forgot the failed dodge in the first half, too - it came as quite a surprise to me that my zombie kept doing that to your catchers (I'm pretty sure he's the one that levelled due to scoring the badly hurts). I'm still not sure if my 'let you make a cage on the wing' plan was sound or not. In theory it lets me surround your players and maybe push one off the pitch, but in practice i need to hold more players back so they can come over to help. I'm STILL learning how to use necros most effectively, and luck definitely helped me out last night.

Yeah your bombadier was on fire, especially when he was actually on fire

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Groovy - well I was a bit worried there myself that I had made a mistake in positioning the cage, and I thought for a minute that you had clear blitz on my carrier, easy to miss that one tacklezone, but it made all the difference :-). Not to mention I did need to get a push/pow with a one dice block and a two dice block before I could run it in. With loss-draw-loss in the first three matches, I can see I won't be a top contender this season, I'm still learning the helves and it seems they need a bit more skills to perform well for me.

[QUOTE=Screwie;96619]
    • A Leap roll to advance 1 extra square and land in an adjacent square to the waiting aerogoblin (4+).

[QUOTE]

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't you only leap within the normal movement limits? I.e. it costs 2 squares to do a leap and you have to have 2 left to carry it out.

My Wardancers in the DoD would be interested to know if I have got the rules wrong though!

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Nope, you are correct Drawl, those are the rules but there is a bug that allows it sometimes on Cyanide.

Aha, I was not aware of that. I'd never noticed the 1-square leap at the end of the GFIs before and thought that was working as intended, like as if Leap gave you an extra square of movement.

I am somewhat glad then I didn't win via an exploit (no matter how goblin-y that might be).