Page 215 of 303 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217225265 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,300 of 6044
    Funny, that idea had just crossed my mind a few days ago. At some point I had the impression that the Open has a lot of pretty old teams stuck in them (not necessarily a bad thing!); right now there seems to be a lot of "newish" teams starting. However, those new teams aren't really freshly baked and come from all kinds of different leagues.

Right now I am on the fence of dropping Blood Bowl altogether, so I don't want to take any strong position here, but... I remember us discussing similar ideas in the past. Something along the lines of a) a third league format, b) adapting the requirements for teams that come into the league (which might be a whole discussion in itself), and c) encouraging a higher rate of team turnovers.
    Last edited by Squiz; 27-03-2013 at 12:18 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus mrpier's Avatar
    Can't say I mind getting ~1000 TV in inducements now and then, however mileage will vary by coach and team of course.

If substantially more people would join a rookie only Open it would be good, though it'd be a shame for those who want to carry theirs on or who've been prepping teams (declaring an interest: team prepped). Big TV differences are part of BB though: it's a great shame Cyanide don't have all the inducements available but playing above and below your TV can be pretty good fun too.

I remember a couple of seasons ago there was a discussion about what the TV limit should be for new teams - wasn't the average of the teams at the end of the previous Open suggested? Or the average of those rolling over, something like that.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    I personally don't think we should reduce the new team limit. There are some monsters in the league already and 1750 TV gives a 600+ deficit in some games as it is.

*calculator out* Average of all the teams in the Open (excluding Prester's) is 1888, so the end season average would be a bit higher than 1750.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Good work that man.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    I personally don't think we should reduce the new team limit. There are some monsters in the league already and 1750 TV gives a 600+ deficit in some games as it is.
    I think you mean some teams are bloated to buggery :) It is also worth noting that two teams have gone through this entire lengthy season unbeaten and both were in the 1600s at season start so 1750 is ample to totally dominate.

I hate the TV cap as it is highly counterproductive and imbalanced in implementation. I’ve always maintained this league should accept just rookie teams and free entry to teams from the Divisions or Open returnees.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    I would not be totally averse to a Day Zero reboot - however a couple of seasons ago when I had that high TV orc team I would have been quite annoyed to lose it and be forced to restart, so I have to assume there are other people who feel the same way and therefore I am against it.

I'd be annoyed to see the entry rules change at this point since I've made a 1750ish team specifically for next season, but it wouldn't be the end of the world for me. Zoraster's suggested rules make sense to me; if you want to switch to them I can live with starting a fresh chaos dwarf team instead of the one I've got ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
    I think you mean some teams are bloated to buggery :) It is also worth noting that two teams have gone through this entire lengthy season unbeaten and both were in the 1600s at season start so 1750 is ample to totally dominate.
    Although true, you have to factor in that the coaches of these two teams are well above the average skill level we have here in the league (at least Corkir is, don't know about Janek, since I haven't played him before), so it's hard to argue that other coaches could do the same with comparable teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoraster View Post
    I hate the TV cap as it is highly counterproductive and imbalanced in implementation. I’ve always maintained this league should accept just rookie teams and free entry to teams from the Divisions or Open returnees.
    That sounds quite sensible in my opinion. One reason for people's reluctance to take fresh teams into the Open is probably the fear of getting steamrolled by well developed teams that give more inducement money than can sensibly be spent with the current inducement options available (lack of Star Players, chainsaws, etc.).
    Last edited by Squiz; 27-03-2013 at 01:31 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    I don't mind if we take another look at the rules for entry, but I feel like right now the notice is too short if we're looking to implement them for this coming season. I'm all for this debate if we're talking about the season after that.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfanatic View Post
    Don't be one of those people. ;) Try playing a lesser developed team in the Open. It's not always fun, but you'll become a better player for trying, or something.
    I think NieA7 summed it up pretty well - if I was bringing elves/rats/underworld or something resilient like orcs or dwarves in I wouldn't mind so much. Vamps though can be really shafted by playing teams much higher TV (NieA7 mentions the game against his Nurgle recently - as someones calculations said the league average is another 150TV higher than those)

When is the next season due to start?

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    When is the next season due to start?
    Still one match left to play of this season, but I forget what kind of downtime we typically have before the start of the next. It could be less than ten days away, conceivably.

For the sake of completeness the mean average TV is 1888 and the median 1890, so if a stat-ey TV limit is wanted that seems to be a good one (coaches with 1750ish TV teams in the wings could just get a few more games in, if they wanted).

I think Zoraster's suggestion is a good one for future Open's, though it is shaped around entering to win. Personally I know I'm not good enough to win the Open regardless of where I start from, I'm more about building up an interesting team and improving as a coach (actually I enjoy the team building side of BB more than the playing matches side). I find that easier to do from a high starting point than pitching in with a rookie team, which is why I've levelled up a Nurgle team to the current limit.

Quote Originally Posted by 20phoenix View Post
    I think NieA7 summed it up pretty well - if I was bringing elves/rats/underworld or something resilient like orcs or dwarves in I wouldn't mind so much. Vamps though can be really shafted by playing teams much higher TV (NieA7 mentions the game against his Nurgle recently - as someones calculations said the league average is another 150TV higher than those)
    I don't know. On the one hand I'd say that I agree with you, given the lack of inducement options and the experiences I've made myself with a low TV Lizardmen team at the beginning of the season.

On the other hand, I would definitely argue that we shouldn't allow teams to be built up to their full potential before entering the league when they don't really need to develop anymore. Where's the fun in that?

By the way, I think it's a great idea to bring some of the less played teams into the Open. It provides newbies with a broader learning environment and offers greater challenges for more experienced players.

Edit: I also agree with what NieA7 said. I would say that more than 50% of the coaches in the league have no realistic chance of making it to the top of the rankings (say, the first three spots), as we've got a skewed distribution of player skill (plus a small sample size) around here.
    Last edited by Squiz; 27-03-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    For me own two pennies, and having only played one season, I'd vote to keep things as they are (notwithstanding maybe changing the TV limit a little). So it's maybe not completely fair as it is and new entrants can get broken (mine did), but they can also win big (as Corkir did - grats).

Having said that, I'm one of those people who don't believe it's possible to have enough Blood Bowl in ones life, so I'd support another league, maybe with similar rules or different ones. Maybe:

RPS Minor League - exactly the same rules, but teams are only allowed to stay in the league for two seasons before moving up to the Open.

RPS All Stars - featuring all those battered, broken and bloated teams that we can't bare to say goodbye to! Similar rules to the Open (but perhaps with more than one division for shorter rounds?), but only open to RPS veteran teams. That means having done at least one round in the Open or Stunty, or two (three?) rounds in the DoD. I've been thinking about this one for a while in fact.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    I'm well aware that my game with Jolima is the only thing holding up this season of the Open now. We arranged a few days ago to play each of when we saw each other on Steam, but we've failed to connect since. If we don't get it done tomorrow (which may be hard for me anyway), I'm unlike to be able to play over the weekend and I don't want to hold everyone up by asking for an extension... I know everyone's keen to roll it over. Anyway, to that end, I'd be happy to take an admin draw if we can't get the game in by the end of tomorrow.

So anyway...

I was going to write up my brief thoughts on my first season in the Open when everything was finished up, but I may as well go for it. It's been interesting, that's for sure, especially with several other newbies joining in against a lot of well established teams.

It's been a tough ride for my welves, featuring all the highs and lows we know and love in this game. I had high expectations of them, but in the end I'm pleased just not to have ended at the bottom of the table. I think I had a couple of great matches dotted around in amongst a general quagmire of mediocre to poor coaching, even for me. They also got badly brutalised by the injury dice, which didn't help (I know, I know, AV7, but they took more permanents than my goblins despite taking less hits... heck, even the tree got a niggle, and they went so far as to lose against the goblins too, coached by the very capable Drawlien*). Overall, I think my problem with playing them was too much attachment to the team.

Overall, I probably had more fun with my "filler" goblins, probably due to being less attached and also having plenty of experience with goblins from playing them in the DoD for so long. My favourite match of the season was the goblins against Corkir's Dodge'n'Dance, which was incredibly close, despite me rolling a one on all three bribes (in a row, no less). The 2-0 scoreline really didn't reflect how tight that match was. Corkir's first TD was by the book, but the second was a T16 impromptu pick-up in TZ and pass number with no TRR rolls left. The gobbos had come within a dice roll or two of scoring twice in between. Corkir deserved the win, but still, that was a great game.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the season overall and am definitely coming back for more (I must admit that I'm disappointed that so many people are dropping out). I'd love to bring my goblins back in addition to my "serious" team, if no one has any objections (although I understand if that's not allowed... they were originally a filler, after all). As far as the serious team goes, I've definitely not given up on the Angels, but I'm considering putting them into the Challenge for a season, in order to recuperate, and bringing in my delf team in the meantime. The delves would need a couple of firings to bring them under the TV limit and have a pot of money I could waste by hiring and firing players, so getting in isn't too gamey.

Last but not least, grats to Corkir for the win! I don't think anyone is surprised, but it's still a great achievement.

*That was one of my most frustrating matches of all time. We almost got to the end of the game, with the woodies leading, both teams getting lots of levels and no permanents on either side, when it was Cyanided. The rematch turned into a horrible, bloody nuffling for the welves and I don't think the gobbos even got any levels out of it anyway.

Thanks for that post, cyberpunk. In a way, your experiences as a newcomer to the Open League were similar to mine. I also started with a low TV team (Lizardmen). A quick time travel to one of my first posts in this season tells me that the Golden Geckos brought "4x Block Sauri, one of those with Guard, 1x SS Skink, 1xAG4 Skink, the rest without skills, Kroxigor present" with them; that was on page 139 of this thread, that's a lot of discussion and banter!

The first few matches were really rough for me, probably due to me being a rather unexperienced coach (~5 rounds in the Divisions, now one season in the Open, a couple of challenge matches with a handful of teams) and a well developed opposition. An insanely lucky win against the Pink Patesserie Panthers then gave me a moral boost and over the course of the remaining season my team continued to pick up a few skills here and there without suffering too many losses (mostly thanks to the AV9 on the majority of my pieces and very few ClawPOMB players on my opponents' teams). Still, I feel like I am not very good at scoring, which obviously hampered the development of key players.

Looking back, the most striking event or experience for me was somewhere halfway through the season. The Geckos had just lost a match (or two) the week before I was scheduled to play Grinn's Orcs and my motivation to face them was on a distinct low. Then the situation escalated a bit when I announced that I'd rather not play Grinn at all and offered to forfeit the game. A debate ensued in which through a combination of encouraging comments and shouts of "man up, dude, take your licks" a couple of fellow coaches managed to convince me to give the game a shot. Eventually, the game went ok, and ended with a draw - a much better result than I had expected. So that tought me something about my ability to realistically judge a match-up... (ironically, the Orc team then quit the season shortly thereafter, giving away automatic wins for every outstanding match).

The last few games then went a bit better, probably due to the fact that my Lizards entered a more comfortable TV range and could play a bit more to their strenghts. Even a few wins became possible. Overall I am in agreement with cyberpunk in that the season was an enjoyable experience. As mentioned earlier, the Hexoatl Golden Geckos won't make a return next season. At the moment I don't feel like I am getting any better at the game. That's probably due to a lack of training/experience, difficulties in deducting insights from my own games but also from match replays, and the weekly format of the RPS leagues - which I thoroughly enjoyed! - that makes team development rather slow if you're not very competent at scoring regularly.

Finally, congratulations to Corkir are in order. Like cyberpunk said, no surprises here and judging both from Corkir's posts as well as the score board probably not too big of a challenge.
    Last edited by Squiz; 29-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Yeah - bloody well done Corkir. Look forward to playing you again next season.

So, me and cyber finally did manage to play, ending in a 3-2 victory to me.

With that the season is over. Thanks to everyone for participating and for all of the great matches I got to play in. Thanks also to the people who have been more active in the thread than me in welcoming newcomers and dealing with some of the administration issues. I very much appreciate it. And of course, congratulations to Corkir on the overwhelming victory.

I don't think anyone is particularly looking for downtime, so we can hopefully get the next season started within a week. Please apply with your new teams as soon as you can.

If I'm reading things right, the following players are dropping out: Jiiim, Squirrel, sketch7, Snoozer, Grinn and The Brain
    while we're joined by Axler, WebCole, 2lab and NieA7

If any of that isn't right, please post in the thread and update the spreadsheet.

cyber, I think I'd like to leave your goblins in if we need a filler to make us an even number, but otherwise drop them.

Since rebooting the league came up: I would be open to doing it next season, and perhaps include stricter rules on what teams can enter as well. (Perhaps only fresh teams and returning teams from the DoD and Open.) I'll put up a vote about it after we've gotten this season started.

Did I miss anything that needs to be covered?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolima View Post
    Did I miss anything that needs to be covered?
    Whats the password for the league?