Page 233 of 303 FirstFirst ... 133183223231232233234235243283 ... LastLast
Results 4,641 to 4,660 of 6044
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus laneford's Avatar
    I liked the number 1 this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Axler View Post
    Hmm 18:00 is about the earliest I can do is that ok?
    Sounds good. Thursday 18:00 it is.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus President Weasel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Everblue View Post
    A lucky 2-0 win over Laneford's high elves
    Damn it, I could have been TOP OF THE LEAGUE (if I hadn't lost horribly).

Hey guys - DoD coach here for those who don't know - just wondering about eligibility for the Ope. It recommends a team of at least 1500TV - does that have to from playing within RPS leagues - such as DoD and the Challenge ... or can a levelled team come from anywhere like Nagg or FOL? Also - although I could look at the spreadsheet I'm feeling lazy :P - how long does the current season have left to run roughly? Cheers lads!

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcphatty View Post
    Hey guys - DoD coach here for those who don't know - just wondering about eligibility for the Ope. It recommends a team of at least 1500TV - does that have to from playing within RPS leagues - such as DoD and the Challenge ... or can a levelled team come from anywhere like Nagg or FOL? Also - although I could look at the spreadsheet I'm feeling lazy :P - how long does the current season have left to run roughly? Cheers lads!
    The current season's only a few weeks in, so there's a while to go yet. A couple of months still I think? And teams can come from anywhere (?) as long as it's a competitive environment. You can use the RPS Challenge League or bring a team over from the DoD if you like too.
    My Arsenal of Democracy AAR: The British Empire
    Seeking alpha testers for a StoryNexus cyberpunk RPG.

No Auld. And RPS Challenge League only if your opponents are trying to win - no snotling team walkovers.

There was some talk at the start of this season about changing the entry guidelines for the next (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/foru...S-Open/page215), would make sense to decide it now so folk know what they should and shouldn't be doing over the next few months.

Actually, teams are allowed from anywhere as long as all of its games have been against opponents trying to win. It's on the honour system, so whether Auld is too full of disconnecters or something to count for that I'll leave to each players discretion.

And for next season. Right, now's a good time so let's get some options out there and then I'll start a vote later.

1. Keep on truckin'
    2. Keep on truckin', but change the TV limit to be the Median of the teams finishing last season.
    3. Start over with fresh teams and restricted to only allowing fresh teams in later seasons.
    4. Start over with fresh teams and restricted to only allowing fresh teams and DoD/Open drop outs in later seasons (with some TV restriction).
    5. Start over with fresh teams and restricted to only allowing fresh teams in later seasons. Also, teams are only allowed to stay for two seasons.

More things that could be voted on separately if there's interest: Allowing Khorne, Changing the allowed number of teams per race.

Don't start voting yet, that comes later. For now, just add more options to the list or bring up other things you might want to change.

My Thoughts:

Personally I think we should just keep on truckin'.
    Option 2: I don't think is feasible as people won't know what TV to build their teams to until the season ends and then won't have enough time to get a team ready.
    Option 3: The problem is after a few seasons when all the original seasons teams are built up to high TV any new joiner is going to be dissuaded from joining knowing that they are going to have to play a developed team with their rookies. I know I wouldn't want to do that.
    Option 4: Would work and it would be a good way of making sure that the player doesn't quit after a few games if they have played a couple of seasons in DoD. Though this would make DoD something of a feeder league for the Open which I am not sure is ideal.
    Option 5: Not sure this is going to work either as even after only one season you are going to have some pretty well developed teams. I also really don't like the idea of forcing people to start again with a new team every couple of seasons. I get quite attached to some of my teams.

that looks a lot like voting, Axler.

Option 6: beginning next season, Opens run for a clearly-defined period of time, eg 5 seasons. Players start with new teams and can join at the start of any season with a new team if they wish, but the whole thing gets reset at the end of 5 seasons. (5 is an arbitrary number here).
    (We can run the existing one for 3 seasons since it has a lot of old teams in it, unless someone with a new team has a problem with that - as someone with a new team , I don't)

Lesser Hivemind Node
    You should probably deal with the restart or not issue separately, not least because some might prefer to play elsewhere rather than go through the tedium of an all rookie league so would abstain from further discussion.

Apart from accepting just rookie teams the options I’d advocate would be replacing the TV cap with a team games cap, say 10 or 15, which would put an end to the farming issues while allowing more than adequate scope for gaining core skills or scrapping caps altogether and making it open house for teams from the Divisions or retired Open teams as long as they have not played elsewhere in the interim.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Two points, with counterpoints:

#1: Based somewhat on PW's idea, how about a season limit that is tracked on a per-team basis? No team may play in the Open for longer than (say) 5 seasons, but without a great big reset event for everybody at the same time. I do think it's important the Open get a breath of fresh air every now and again but my team is only in their second Open season - Corkir's for example is in their first. I approve that folks like us would be able to continue our chosen teams under this system. Whether these two seasons count towards my limit or not, I couldn't say which works out more balanced on the larger scale so I have no preference there.

Counterpoint: Where do teams go once they are retired from the Open? The Challenge League is there but not for serious competitions, maybe we should look to a legends league or cup down the road.

#2: Ditto, I really like Zoraster's suggestion for a game limit as an alternative to TV caps. It's arguably fairer and definitely simpler to adjudicate.

Counterpoint: How does this affect DoD alumni? Should they not be allowed after playing 16+ games? (Although that is more than 5 seasons in the DoD, to be frank.)

EDIT:

Bum, seems I completely misinterpreted what PW wrote, so I've rewritten #1 above to clarify my intent - hopefully the rest of my comments make sense now!
    Last edited by Screwie; 21-05-2013 at 02:14 PM.

My DoD team has played 52 games. That's about two years at the Divisions' pace.

The two things I like about the Open are the long seasons and good variety of teams, so my aims would be to encourage as many people as possible to join/stay while maintaining the low cap per race (2 is good).

What would actually encourage people I'm not so sure about: the high level of teams certainly puts some off, but I wouldn't want to force everyone to dump their side after an arbitrary number of seasons either. It's made more complicated by a low cap making it unclear what sides will be available until shortly before the season starts too.

Just allowing rookies or teams from other RPS leagues (who knows, maybe someone would want to bring their stunty or linemen team in) would make things clear, and scrapping the TV limit would make it simple. We know they should be free from farming and it's a simple route to remember. It'd also give prospective Open teams something to do between seasons (i.e. play in the Divs). Given my Nurgle came through Nagg and the RPS Challenge League that does make me a bit of a hypocrite though.

I don't like a fixed reset after x seasons, if only because it means that anyone joining after the first season is going to get less time with their team than everyone else. As it's unlikely that everyone who starts in season one would still be there by season x it'd also give an advantage to the persistent.
    Last edited by NieA7; 21-05-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    For what it's worth, I agree entirely with NieA7.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Screwie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    Just allowing rookies or teams from other RPS leagues (who knows, maybe someone would want to bring their stunty or linemen team in) would make things clear, and scrapping the TV limit would make it simple. We know they should be free from farming and it's a simple route to remember.
    I too like this approach for its simplicity.

Quote Originally Posted by NieA7 View Post
    I don't like a fixed reset after x seasons, if only because it means that anyone joining after the first season is going to get less time with their team than everyone else. As it's unlikely that everyone who starts in season one would still be there by season x it'd also give an advantage to the persistent.
    I definitely agree with your reasoning here.

I made a fool of myself above by arguing for PW's point while also misunderstanding it. What I actually had in mind was a system which swapped a league-wide reset in favour of a per-team limit - once each team has played X seasons in the Open they have to leave (this could be tracked on the spreadsheet without hassle). It would never be entirely balanced for the same reasons you mention above, but it's not trying to be - and more importantly no team could become a monolithic permanent fixture either.

(I've corrected my previous post.)

Quote Originally Posted by President Weasel View Post
    that looks a lot like voting, Axler.
    It can't be voting without a Florida recount. :)

Ninja edit: I quite like that some teams may spend many many seasons in the Open I think it gives the competition more character.
    Last edited by Axler; 21-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Laneford is not allowed to retire his high elves until I've had another shot at his catcher and thrower. I did my best this season but they just wouldn't break. Even my fouls just bounced off.

For the record I'm happy with monolithic permanent fixtures, but I thought mine might be a useful alternative suggestion to add to the list.

Lesser Hivemind Node cyberpunkdreams's Avatar
    My feeling with the format is that it's not broken, so don't fix it. It may not be perfect, but then there is no perfect format. It is what it is though, and new players know the risks before joining.

I can understand changing or removing the TV limit, but honestly I don't think it would make any real difference. Likewise with changing the rules on bringing new teams in. I don't think anyone games our system anyway, and if they did, it would be pretty obvious from their team build.

Edit: I just realised that this message could come across as a little sharp (especially from someone who's still pretty much an Open n00b). That wasn't the intention, and of course it's always good to have these discussions. We all know that there's really only one place to resolve disputes though, and that's on the astrogranite ;).
    Last edited by cyberpunkdreams; 21-05-2013 at 05:39 PM.
    My Arsenal of Democracy AAR: The British Empire
    Seeking alpha testers for a StoryNexus cyberpunk RPG.