Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus vinraith's Avatar

The DRM check thread (a public service)

I don't know if this will work, but here's the thought: This is a general purpose thread for people concerned about the DRM on a game to ask the community about it, in the hopes that someone on the forum will have already had some experience with that title.

To get things started, Arkham City has GfWL, correct? Is that true even of the Steam version? I ask because the DLC is being sold through Steam, is this one of those "copy the code and punch it into GfWL" DLC situations? Gratzi for any info.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Rauten's Avatar
    I can't talk about Arkham City, but it sure was the case with Arkham Asylum Steam. So, odds are, Arkham City Steam comes with double layer of DRM goodness with Steam & GFWL.
    Ok, nvm, scratch that, just checked the Steam Store. It's not just GFWL; it's worse. It also has SecuROM. So it's Steam, GFWL and SecuROM. Lovely.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Althea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vinraith View Post
    To get things started, Arkham City has GfWL, correct? Is that true even of the Steam version? I ask because the DLC is being sold through Steam, is this one of those "copy the code and punch it into GfWL" DLC situations? Gratzi for any info.
    Yes, that's how it would work.

Thanks folks! Sounds like I'm better off getting it somewhere outside Steam. Boxed prices on Amazon are comparable to the Steam sale price anyway.
    Last edited by vinraith; 22-12-2011 at 05:37 PM.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Vexing Vision's Avatar
    The non-Steam version has SecuRom AND GfWL. Had I known that, I would have gotten the Steam-version instead.

It's mindboggling how much I'm willing to bend over for this game. Still sooooo good.
    NETWORKING 101 SIGNATURE INCOMING
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.
    You should also follow me on Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    The non-Steam version has SecuRom AND GfWL. Had I known that, I would have gotten the Steam-version instead.

It's mindboggling how much I'm willing to bend over for this game. Still sooooo good.
    The Steam version has Steamworks, GfWL and SecuROM. I don't see how the Steam version is any better.

Just when I was planning to buy Arkham City on Steam.....

Oh, whilst I'm here and whilst it's relevant:

Anno 2070
    If the servers are down, you cannot activate your copy, thus you cannot play the game. You will have to wait for server maintenance to end before you can play. As for those who have an activated copy, the multiplayer is (obviously) non-functional in offline mode, and you're restricted from some game features such as upgrades for your Ark.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    The Steam version has Steamworks, GfWL and SecuROM. I don't see how the Steam version is any better.
    Because the Steam-version doesn't force you to keep the disc in the drive, like the boxed version does.

Why would they use SecuRom on a non-disc version? Isn't that still based on checking sectors on the drive?

The mind, it boggles.
    Playing games with each other makes for the best business contacts, so feel free to add me on LinkedIn.

Because they can? SecuROM has more forms than just checking a disc. Online activation, release date checks, yadda yadda yadda.

Fair enough, they expanded then since SecuRom 4.0, which was the last version I really had to have a look at.

Still - get it on Steam. Keeping the disc in the drive is a pain.

The game is so brilliant, they'd have sold more copies without GfWL at least, I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Vexing Vision View Post
    Fair enough, they expanded then since SecuRom 4.0, which was the last version I really had to have a look at.

Still - get it on Steam. Keeping the disc in the drive is a pain.

The game is so brilliant, they'd have sold more copies without GfWL at least, I bet.
    Why would it have a disc check? It has GfWL, after all.

Edit: And yet, apparently, it does. Well, that's a reason to get it on Gamersgate then. No added DRM or client nonsense AND no disc check. As if SecuROM and GfWL weren't enough to worry about.

Why would it have a disc check? It has GfWL, after all.
    Beats me. That was a bit of an unpleasant shock when I found out.

I have the UK version, if that makes any difference.

Crack your shit people, always helps.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Smashbox's Avatar
    Oh, whilst I'm here and whilst it's relevant:

Anno 2070
    If the servers are down, you cannot activate your copy, thus you cannot play the game. You will have to wait for server maintenance to end before you can play. As for those who have an activated copy, the multiplayer is (obviously) non-functional in offline mode, and you're restricted from some game features such as upgrades for your Ark.
    What an incredible shame. I imagine developers get really sad when the publisher tells them to cripple their game to prevent piracy. I want to buy it, but I will not.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashbox View Post
    What an incredible shame. I imagine developers get really sad when the publisher tells them to cripple their game to prevent piracy. I want to buy it, but I will not.
    It may just be a temporary-ish situation. Ubisoft have been known to remove or "improve" DRM (with the sole exception apparently being The Settlers 7, much to my annoyance), so it is possible that it won't be much of an issue in the future. That said, the online/offline thing will likely not change.

It may just be a temporary-ish situation. Ubisoft have been known to remove or "improve" DRM (with the sole exception apparently being The Settlers 7, much to my annoyance), so it is possible that it won't be much of an issue in the future. That said, the online/offline thing will likely not change.
    Isn't Silent Hunter 5 the other exception? I don't recall hearing that the DRM on that was ever improved either.

Anyway, I'm with Smashbox in that 2070's DRM is a damned shame, and I'd have bought it by now if not for that. When and if Ubi do lighten their grip I'll probably grab a copy, I just hope for the developer's sake it's not a $5 game by then.

Isn't Silent Hunter 5 the other exception? I don't recall hearing that the DRM on that was ever improved either.
    Nope, it got given an offline mode not long ago.

Activated Node
    DRM is the only reason I've not bought Batman: Arkham City yet. If it had been Steamworks only I'd have bought it full price on release. My policy is never knowingly to buy games with 3rd party DRM on Steam. I also try to avoid limited activations if possible on retail discs, though that's getting harder and harder. :-(

Nope, it got given an offline mode not long ago.
    I had not heard that. I wonder if they ever fixed the gameplay issues, though.