Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    Stop with the "bad design" nonsense. Stop glorifying flat learning curve. A car is not intuitive to use, you would never guess what it is for if you didn't see someone using it. Neither is a pen (you spend years mastering it). How about special moves in fighting games, not to mention combos or fatalities ? How would you learn that without being told ?

The only thing Black Mesa did wrong is not including the Hazard Course. I encountered the mechanic earlier, where it was intuitive (little room between a box and the ceiling) and it was obvious I had to both jump and bow down to fit in. I'm a curious player accustomed to sniffing for secrets. I try combinations of keys just to see what happens.

I find myself more and more drawn towards board games. In the realm of board games, having to explain rules is the norm. Retarded people are left out unless they have a will to learn (and I met one of them who has more forward-looking attitude toawrds learning than many modern gamers). To play board games, you have to make an attempt understand them. Meanwhile in casual games, there's this awful notion that anything that's not immediately obvious is evil.
    pass

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    Stop with the "bad design" nonsense. Stop glorifying flat learning curve. A car is not intuitive to use, you would never guess what it is for if you didn't see someone using it. Neither is a pen (you spend years mastering it). How about special moves in fighting games, not to mention combos or fatalities ? How would you learn that without being told?
    You gotta be taking the piss.

Do you really need to re-learn WASD every new game that comes out? This is a professional games reviewer. Presumably he's playing a fucking game before.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Secondary Hivemind Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    I find myself more and more drawn towards board games. In the realm of board games, having to explain rules is the norm.
    How do you tend to learn board games though? Because the 'designed' method for learning board games is to read the rule book. But I generally get someone to teach it to me or watch a video tutorial online. The prevalence of the latter suggests that the game in the box is failing at teaching the rules to the player.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Phish View Post
    I absolutely hate it in both Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 that these giant neon arrows come up in the middle of roads when I'm on a mission telling me what corners to take as if I can't figure it out myself or determine my own way to get from A to B. Honestly, it's enough to put it on the minimap as a gps, which I can handily ignore, but when you start putting them in the game world it gets very very annoying.
    No thanks. I can completely ignore the arrows on the road, but if I need directions these are a billion times better than having to look at the minimap every block.
    Stealth Mode!

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano2099 View Post
    How do you tend to learn board games though? Because the 'designed' method for learning board games is to read the rule book. But I generally get someone to teach it to me or watch a video tutorial online. The prevalence of the latter suggests that the game in the box is failing at teaching the rules to the player.
    Most of the games I play with people are thought through a combination of playing at a slower pace and pointing out the rules. Many people learn better this way than being handed a 30 odd page rule book and being told "off you go, cover to cover."

Games Workshop entice people with demo games long before going near the rule book.

Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    No thanks. I can completely ignore the arrows on the road, but if I need directions these are a billion times better than having to look at the minimap every block.
    Dunno what games you're playing that you can't see more than one block on the minimap or have to look at the minimap for more than a glance to get directions of next left or right.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by orcane View Post
    I dunno. One, I like picking my way through a game map and usually end up memorizing routes. Y'know: 6th St will put me on the freeway, 7th St will send me under it, etc. Two, figuring out my own path makes me pay attention to my surroundings, which allows me to appreciate the effort the designers made in crafting the landscape.

Usually, maps are so maddening in games anyway because they spent a lot of time crafting views, like ersatz Haussmanns.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen