Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    For a company, a stupid customer is worth as much (if not more - easier to manipulate) as a smart one. The same applies to democracy.
    It is also a hellof a lot easier to sell stupid shit to smart people than vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Namdrol View Post
    It is also a hellof a lot easier to sell stupid shit to smart people than vice versa.
    Okay, I get that stupid people won't buy things they can't figure out how to use, but how do you figure it's more likely that smart people buy stupid shit?

This seems relevant. Love the bit where he wants to talk to the bear.

That was a frustrating video to watch for me as a BG fan.
    steam

http://dailycelluloid.blogspot.com/- where I write about movies.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Faldrath's Avatar
    Now that I think of it, it's weird that RPS hasn't mentioned the release of BG:EE yet, isn't it?

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by ado View Post
    This seems relevant. Love the bit where he wants to talk to the bear.

That was a frustrating video to watch for me as a BG fan.
    Too much spoiled by casual games i guess...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Drake Sigar's Avatar
    I don't know if it should frustrate me as much as it does, because to someone with no experience of Dungeons & Dragons or BG, wandering into high level areas and charging wizards into melee doesn't seem like a that big a deal.

By far the most annoying thing was they never clicked and dragged their mouse to select multiple party members. It was always the slow plodding number keys, as if nobody uses click and drag boxes anymore because PC strategy games are dead?
    Last edited by Drake Sigar; 10-12-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Lesser Hivemind Node
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    On the VGA panel, too?

So, basically, this thread is "games journalists are hacks."
    Here's another one then:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/...s-of-pc-gaming

Activated Node
    I think it's a little unfair to blame jeff for those tweets. Since when is making game mechanics obscure or frustrating a sign of smart game design?

Games are too dumbed down, but Far Cry isn't a shining example of what games should be, either.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    It's a bit more important than that. Games need good metacritic scores, so game companies have to tailor games to game journo's tastes.
    I hope that hurt your fingers to write as much as it hurt my eyes to read.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Quote Originally Posted by LTK View Post
    Okay, I get that stupid people won't buy things they can't figure out how to use, but how do you figure it's more likely that smart people buy stupid shit?
    eg. Smart people can enjoy Whedon Avengers type stuff. But give Ulysses to average Fox News viewer...

Secondary Hivemind Nexus sinister agent's Avatar
    eg. Smart people can enjoy Whedon Avengers type stuff. But give Ulysses to average Fox News viewer...
    ... and you'll deserve to be hit with sticks for inflicting that godawful shite on an innocent person.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by georgetownhoya View Post
    I think it's a little unfair to blame jeff for those tweets. Since when is making game mechanics obscure or frustrating a sign of smart game design?

Games are too dumbed down, but Far Cry isn't a shining example of what games should be, either.
    There's nothing obscure or frustrating about looking at the map and the big objective markers on it, opening the in-game journal, paying attention to what characters say or noticing the gigantic church in the middle of the village.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus soldant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Also, I don't recall it being necessary in the original
    Oh yeah, it was there. It was required for a lot of the jumps. I pretty much never did anything except crouch jump when I had to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by sinister agent View Post
    Besides which, it's a bad mechanism.
    Damn right! It's an engine quirk that they decided to turn into a gameplay mechanic, kind of like how some custom mods or levels relied on the ridiculous "press backwards to stop dead in mid-air" problem with the game physics. It should never have been a gameplay mechanic.

As for its inclusion in BM: Source... well, it's for the fans of HL so to leave it out would be a bit ridiculous. But at the same time it's a remake, and some of the jumping puzzles had to be modified to take into account Source physics (which are different from the buggy GoldSrc physics), so it probably didn't need to be there.

Activated Node
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKicksalot View Post
    There's nothing obscure or frustrating about looking at the map and the big objective markers on it, opening the in-game journal, paying attention to what characters say or noticing the gigantic church in the middle of the village.
    He's got a very good point about the malaria mechanic, though, which really was never fully explained during the tutorial. It struck me as an annoyance that I hoped would stop during the game, but it recurred to nag me. Kind of boneheaded.

Also, it's very silly for Far Cry 2 to reset players for venturing out of a pre-set zone. In fact, I'd venture to say the game is dumb for doing that, not Gerstmann.

And yes, he should have noticed the church, but to be fair, it looks nothing like a church on the outside. But a single tweet about his frustration with finding a church isn't a big deal.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by georgetownhoya View Post
    He's got a very good point about the malaria mechanic, though, which really was never fully explained during the tutorial. It struck me as an annoyance that I hoped would stop during the game, but it recurred to nag me. Kind of boneheaded.

Also, it's very silly for Far Cry 2 to reset players for venturing out of a pre-set zone. In fact, I'd venture to say the game is dumb for doing that, not Gerstmann.

And yes, he should have noticed the church, but to be fair, it looks nothing like a church on the outside. But a single tweet about his frustration with finding a church isn't a big deal.
    Some things don't need much explaining unless you are 4 years old, like the sky is blue for example. The malaria mechanic is a stupid mechanic, but to say its complicated is going too far. That's why games these days require a quest compass, even the most linear of games COD need one. Because some people are really that braindead.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Jesus_Phish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Some things don't need much explaining unless you are 4 years old, like the sky is blue for example. The malaria mechanic is a stupid mechanic, but to say its complicated is going too far. That's why games these days require a quest compass, even the most linear of games COD need one. Because some people are really that braindead.
    I absolutely hate it in both Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row 3 that these giant neon arrows come up in the middle of roads when I'm on a mission telling me what corners to take as if I can't figure it out myself or determine my own way to get from A to B. Honestly, it's enough to put it on the minimap as a gps, which I can handily ignore, but when you start putting them in the game world it gets very very annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    Right, the sky is blue, and if you have malaria in a game you have to press B to take a pill and then they can run out and if they do you have to go to talk to the journalist and find a tape for him and bring it back and then talk to the priest in the church in town who will give you supplies which you have to take to a hut somewhere and give to a man who will give you more pills.

Totally the same thing, clearly.

Banned
    Are people really bitching about crouchjump? Really?

Look, it's a way to let level designers have more freedom with their thing. So they don't need to do everything under x units of height, where x is how high your character can jump. With crouchjump it gives them little more headroom when making climbable objects.

Another way to do it is mantling, but that likely requires more effort(coding) and is fit for slower gameplay.

BM: Source simply fucked it up because it made it mandatory. It wasn't "mostly normal jumps with some crouchjumps on the side" as it was in the original, literally every fucking jump you did had to be a crouchjump. That was stupid as hell, yeah.

Alternative: Make the "jump" button work. If you make jumping, y'know, jump, then you don't need a special jumping move to get over knee-high objects.

I'm not convinced by the "mantling is difficult" argument either.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.