Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Secondary Hivemind Nexus SirKicksalot's Avatar

This is why games are dumbed down

@jeffgerstmann
    Aaaaand now I'm downloading Far Cry 2.

@jeffgerstmann
    I keep driving to the same spot, having a malaria attack, he seems to not have any pills, and I reset back to the first safehouse.

@jeffgerstmann
    I feel like the game only showed me the "recover health" mechanic, not the "find pills" mechanic. Weird.

@jeffgerstmann
    People keep saying "go to a church," but there's nothing like that on the map. Feels like I'm still in the first bits of tutorial? Dunno.

@jeffgerstmann
    OK, driven the same direction four times to get to what I assume will be the tutorial for spotting mechanics, keep getting reset each time.

@jeffgerstmann
    I'm... going to spend my time doing something else.

How much of a chump do you have to be to fail the fucking tutorial? Even Clint Hocking is confused.
    I hope that when Gertsmann's actually reviewing something he pays more attention.

Obscure Node
    Paying attention is apparently the most difficult thing in the world. That, or he is used to way too much hand-holding.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Nalano's Avatar
    Who the fuck is Jeff Gerstmann?
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Director of the Friends of Nalano PAC
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Activated Node

Secondary Hivemind Nexus neema_t's Avatar
    It's a vicious cycle, and you know what? I think it's dumbing me down in the process. Either that or I'm getting old. When I replay certain old games and remember how competent (I won't say 'good') I was at them, then look at the totally ham-fisted mess I make of them in my later years (to clarify, I'm 25), I wonder if that's because my brain has been massaged by all this 'FOLLOW THAT GUY', 'DON'T GO OVER THERE, STOP EXPLORING IMMEDIATELY' and 'PRESS A TO LIVE' shit to just, well, follow those guys, don't explore and forget how to do things that you used to have to actually do rather than watch your avatar do for you because you pressed one button instead of several.

In fact it's worse than all that; I used to enjoy taking my time with games and exploring the levels, like say Doom, Quake, Descent, Deus Ex and all that, a long time ago. I recently started playing Dishonoured and noticed I was making a bee line for the objectives, effectively turning what is a relatively open sandbox-style game into a linear one, of my own accord! Is that the pressure of my ever-lengthening backlog propelling me along, or is it a Pavlovian response instilled by the recent (past four years) slew of linear first person shooters? I kind of hope it's the backlog thing but I can't even tell.

Edit: But the thing in the OP was exceptionally moronic.

Quote Originally Posted by Herkimer View Post
    On the VGA panel, too?

So, basically, this thread is "games journalists are hacks."
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl
    "His lack of education is more than compensated for by his keenly developed moral bankruptcy." - Woody Allen

Then there was the case of a reviewer who didn't notice there were town portals in Titan Quest and kept hauling all the loot back to towns by foot.
    Twitter! Occasional impressions on random sim games.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by jnx View Post
    Then there was the case of a reviewer who didn't notice there were town portals in Titan Quest and kept hauling all the loot back to towns by foot.

There was Loot in Titan Quest!?! Now you tell me!

Banned
    Gaming journalists are hacks.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus b0rsuk's Avatar
    For a company, a stupid customer is worth as much (if not more - easier to manipulate) as a smart one. The same applies to democracy.
    pass

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    For a company, a stupid customer is worth as much (if not more - easier to manipulate) as a smart one. The same applies to democracy.
    Finding a balance is hard, so its more easy to focus on the dumb.

I remember a glitch involving the malaria pills or something, but i think is more possible to the journalist to be dumb at games.

Relevant:

I generally like what Jeff and rest of Giantbomb do, but they tend to do this kind of stuff all the time. Especially on their Quick looks.

Quote Originally Posted by b0rsuk View Post
    There's a Dilbert comic that makes the argument that it never pays to sell to smart people. You sell to dumb rich people until production is efficient enough to sell to dumb poor people. Smart poor people will just find a way to steal your stuff anyway, and smart rich people will simply buy you​.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus squirrel's Avatar
    Video gaming, especially modern gaming, requires some dedication. If you play too casually, say, you play for 15 mins then put it down for a week, you ought to forget what you've learnt from the tutorial when you come back.

Same principle applies to other skill acquiring.

Network Hub
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
    Video gaming, especially modern gaming, requires some dedication. If you play too casually, say, you play for 15 mins then put it down for a week, you ought to forget what you've learnt from the tutorial when you come back.

Same principle applies to other skill acquiring.
    We are talking about the age of the internet, FAQs, lets play,streamlining, walktrhoughs, etc... If he can't find a way around this minor issue its time to look for another job...

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    We are talking about the age of the internet, FAQs, lets play,streamlining, walktrhoughs, etc... If he can't find a way around this minor issue its time to look for another job...
    This is true: He is paid to pay attention.
    Nalano H. Wildmoon
    Attorney at Lawl

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sakkura's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nalano View Post
    Who the fuck is Jeff Gerstmann?
    The guy who got fired from Gamespot for giving Kane & Lynch a negative review, while the publisher of said game was advertising on Gamespot.

Quote Originally Posted by dnf View Post
    *Crouch jumping fail video*
    Holy cow! That was appalling. Sure, it's his first time playing Half-Life but he should really pay more attention.
    Half-Life is not the only game that has this jumping mechanic. I think most Valve's Source engine games have it in there, HL2, CS:S, TF2, right? It can't be that new, unless you're a console gamer I guess.

Secondary Hivemind Nexus Sketch's Avatar
    All the Halo's have it though. And Half Life 2 as you said.

Network Hub
    A interesting quote from Ken Levine:http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/1...inite-box-art/

“I wanted the uninformed, the person who doesn’t read IGN… to pick up the box and say, okay, this looks kind of cool, let me turn it over. Oh, a flying city. Look at this girl, Elizabeth on the back. Look at that creature. And start to read about it, start to think about it.”
    If he want the uninformed guy who doesn't even read IGN... why he want said person to think about the game?